Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2008 AN400
Would this be possible: buy a car horn (Pull A Part), mount on scooter. Run a new fused wire to a relay. Use horn button to activate the relay. In case the current draw is too high for the wimpy horn button to handle. :unsure:

Reactions: Dave_J

·
Premium Member
3,164 Posts
Reactions: mikeyMarine

·
Premium Member
8,179 Posts
Shouldnt need to do anything if the fuse is suitably rated. Pick a horn
true dat, unless the horn has a higher amp rating than the switch, then back to relay thing, I am currently riunning 2 30 amp horns, they might be a tad illegal.

·
Premium Member
14,235 Posts
I added louder dual aftermarket horns to my 650. That is the way I wired them up. Takes some of the load off the ignition switch. Current for the horns flows through it and experience has told me that it is running at it's limits as it is. Many people have had the ignition switch burn out. The current going through the ignition switch now only needs to power the relay.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Personal experience here... any louder horn than OEM WILL be louder with dedicated beefier wiring and a better fuse and a relay. Have done that with a few bikes. Hooked up the better horn to OEM wires and connectors and found the new horn was a LITTLE louder. Added dedicated 16ga wires (instead of the 20 or 18 ga of OEM) and a dedicated relay with fuse and resulted with very significantly louder sound.

For that matter, why stop with a "car" horn. I've heard some rather wimpy car horns lately. Better than the stock Burgman horn to be sure but still rather wimpy. Go for a Denalli Split Dual air horn or Stebel Nautilus (split apart if you find space hard to find). Those are MUCH louder than any car horn... even an old Buick horn.

And with installing either on a relay I've always used the OEM horn wire pair to trigger the relay. No need to think about which wire on which side of the relay trigger and the stock button activates the relay. I also make a split pigtail so I can leave the stock horn plugged in at the same time as the new horns I added. That way if one fails for SOME reason there is still the other.

The horn part (relay B) of this electrical diagram will work with every bike out there. This is how I wired mine. I'm sure you can figure out how to run a wire through a fuse to the relay for the horn.

btw- the 3CS in this diagram is the Eastern Beaver 3 circuit solution item with all 3 outputs switched with the ignition (Relay A).

·
Registered
541 Posts
Done it on my (ex) 400 '00. Did'nt find the room for both the horns so i mounted only one, attaching it to a bolt of the fuel filter or pump, can't remember, that was under the right floorpad and more or less below the original horn.
I bolted the relay in place of the OEM horn, using the same connector to drive it, and took a big wire and a fuse for the horn power. Ground was connected on the frame under the radiator, were i already had a ground wire going to the battery 'cause it was said that it helped the starting motor.

It was a clean and very loud result :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts