Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts
The service manual says to measure the belt and inspect it to see if it is serviceable. Replace it if it is not.

I have a new belt sitting in a box at home. At 16,500 miles, it is still way within specs. Twisting the belt reveals no delamination either. I'll probably do as I've done twice before and continue monitoring the belt when I open the CVT case and change it finally with over 22,000 miles on it.

I think you should have a belt on hand, but I'd just check it till it is at the wear specs. You'll want to consider how you ride too. Is your riding all in the city? Or do you do freeway riding? Or a mix? That'll have a bearing on the life you'll get from CVT parts like the belt and clutch.

Chris

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have a 400K7 and replaced the belt and pulleys at 22,000 miles.
The pulleys were almost ready for replacement so while the cvt was open I had the dealer replace them.
At 45,000 miles I had the dealer replace both the belt and the pulleys, some of the pulleys were really worn so I replaced them all.
I could have waited to do all this work until something broke but don't feel like taking the chance.
Most likely something would have happened while I was on a trip and no Suzuki dealer nearby.
My dealer does not stock the pulleys and I suspect that other dealers do not as well so repairs away from home could take some time.
Not good when vacation time is limited.
Ride safe

·
Registered
338 Posts
Kinda stupid not to---picture this belt break during 75-80 pass on freeway , with no place to go and NO Power to get there. Scary in my book. I suspect I have ridden as much as anybody on these rubber band drive scooters and in near 250,000 miles since 1990, suffered only one belt breakage, lucky on off ramp. I follow makers recommendation and use only OEM belts. As scooter ages, carry spare belt---can be your old one as dealers don't stock them----in addition, I have the tools on board to change belt if stuck.

I think age comes into play, too---my new Burgman on road since end of Jan. 2012 at 13,000 miles---so I have to prepare for belt change whether I like it nor not------of course new scooter should come with 50,000 mile belts and no valve adj....but this will not be happening any time soon.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts