Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In 2014 I bought a Burgman 650 and have used it for city driving and trips to the countryside. Last year I wanted to try something different so I added a 2008 Suzuki Boulevard 800 to stable. It was fun to drive a regular motorcycle but don't want to shift gears anymore. I have started to do highway trips with a group driving Harleys, Goldwings and other large bikes. Going to sell the Boulevard and maybe buy a 2020 Goldwing Tour DCT.

#1 I am wondering if a Goldwing would be too much bike for me. I am 68 years old and had about a half dozen bikes over the years, the 800cc being the largest. Recently I had an opportunity to test drive a 2018 Goldwing outside the city which was great, but didn't get to try it downtown.

#2 I was wondering if a Goldwing DCT could replace the Burgman 650 for in town driving?

·
Registered
657 Posts
The only one who knows if the Goldwing is "too much" for you is you. It seems like a lot of bike for just tooling around town, though.

I have met several older guys who parted with their beloved Goldwings because they eventually became "too much" for them. They replaced them with Burgman 650s. One guy referred to his Burgman 650 as his "mini-Goldwing." So what you are proposing to do is go in the opposite direction.

·
Administrator
18,201 Posts
Having had a few large bikes to use over the years I like the Goldwings. I have ridden a GL1500 and even had a GL1800 for 1 week to ride. Out here in the country they are GREAT. But I rode the GL1800 in rush hour traffic for a day and parked it for my next three days commute. Too bulky, too hard to do the 'Hurk&Jerk' in traffic. In the city at slow speeds it was too much for me.

In 2005 I joined BurgmanUSA so I could lurk and ask questions. I bought my first Burgman 650s in 2006. Commuting for 9 years in all weather I can not find any other bike that this 650 can do for me. In those 9 years I logged 177,000 miles just commuting.

On fun riding, I would go on local 'Meet_Up' group rides. Not one of the rides could the leaders loose me. I in fact could out distance them on gas stops. On one summer ride up in the mountain pass we stopped for a 1/2 hour break. I went over to my Burgman and popped the trunk and grabbed a few cold beers and handed out 1 to each that wanted one. ONE! For the riders that did not want a beer I had a couple Pepsi/RootBeer/Snapple chilled too.

·
Registered
57 Posts
As Dogboy says, the only one who can judge if a bike is "too much for me" is you. I see you are joining other riders for highway trips and some of those guys are on Gold Wings.
Just do it!!

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
As Dogboy says, the only one who can judge if a bike is "too much for me" is you. I see you are joining other riders for highway trips and some of those guys are on Gold Wings.
Just do it!!
The gentleman is 68 years old and contemplating buying a 2020 GoldWing:

MSRP: From $23,800....Curb weight: 787 to 847 lbs

“To replace the Burgman 650 for in town driving?”

I’m saying don’t do it....
keep the Burgman, get a Jet Ski, go skydiving and help a college girl pay tuition.

Don’t let your loved ones sell your $25k motorcycle with bad gas at a yard sale for $1k.

To the OP here is a current thread of a father/son Burgman/Harley Trip across America:

Reactions: Rusty J

·
Registered
158 Posts
Those Goldwings are ideal if you live in a town or your neighboring towns don't have red lights on every corner.

·
Premium Member
8,035 Posts
yeeeaahh if you want a motor home instead of a passenger van, a wing is a good choice, some things is good for what theys good for and nothing else, some things is pretty great for LOTSA things, I prefer the 650 cause it attracts the ladies,

·
Registered
221 Posts
"I prefer the 650 cause it attracts the ladies"

I hear you, man. Every time I park my Burgman, this happens ....

·
Registered
374 Posts
Take a long test ride - most dealers that sell Wings will have one you can ride to see if it works for you.

I took two test rides on the DCT and non-DCT bikes last year at the AIM Expo. I really considered trading in my Burgman 650 but the initial cost was too much for me. Some day, if I can find a used model for a decent price (for me) I'll think about it.

Try it and see if you like it. It's a great bike with all the bells and whistles.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
BTDT!
I rode a GL1500 for some years and loved it... for travel. In town it was more and more a struggle. That was when I was only 47-51 yrs old! Then I sold it 'cuz it was getting to be too much for me for the vast majority of my riding (the commute to work and errands around town) and bought my first Burgman 650. After several years on that I thought I needed more than the Burgman could give so bought my ST1100... then my CTX1300. I wasn't about to go back to the GW, though I was just a very little bit tempted when the 2018 GW came out. I just didn't want the bulk of that monster bike. It was great on the highways, but a struggle in town traffic and parking lots. The newer GW is lighter than the old one, but still way more than a Burgman, and even more than those other 2 bikes I rode. I realized that I really preferred the Burgman over all those others and came back. That is just my own experience and preferences. YMMV.

As was said, the choice is yours what you prefer. I'm only 65 now and the GW is too much for me to want to struggle with. But you do need to take some long test rides around town in stop and go traffic with stop lights and stop signs in the route. Then you will know better if that is the bike you want. I have known riders in their 70s riding the older GW. So it's really up to you.

·
Premium Member
1,262 Posts
@shark88:

I think you'd be making a mistake to go with a big bike like that, but of course you have the final say, you have to examine your riding habits, your budget, and so forth.

I'm 72 now, and on my second 650 Exec. Aside from riding friends' dirt bikes as a teenager, I started out late in life, re bikes. At 49, I got my street license and bought my first bike. Here's the history:

• 1997 - 2000: 1997 BMW R850R
  • 2000 - 2007: 2000 Honda Valkyrie Interstate (very similar to the then-current, now ante-penultimate, GW)
  • 2007 - 2012: 2007 650 Exec
  • 2012 - 2017: 2012 Victory Cross Country Tour
  • 2016 - present: 2008 650 Exec
The trend (with minor blips) for me has been two-fold: toward lighter bikes and toward feet-forward (or at least not trapped in one or two positions). (Also, during the Victory ownership, for her own medical reasons my wife stopped riding out back with me.)

The DCT GW is certainly a fine bike for touring. It's also lighter than previous generation GWs. If that's all (or mostly what) you do, and you're in fairly good shape, and you often ride with a passenger, and your budget can take the hit, then, sure, go for it.

If not, then I think for all-around riding, the Big Burger fits the bill better.

If you've never done serious touring on the BB, you might want to read the lengthy, informative, and relatively recent thread Is Burg 650 a good interstate crusier? . You'll learn that it is eminently capable as a tourer.

In congested driving -- pre-pandemic, I used to ride in Manhattan and Brooklyn, about 150 miles south, for lunch trips a few times a year -- it's hard to beat not having left-hand cramps. Same goes for stops on a hill.

The only thing I think the BB is lacking, for touring purposes, is factory cruise (and others disagree, of course, and still others think a throttle lock is adequate). Permit me to whine once more about Yamaha's refusal to bring the latest TMax (which has factory cruise, and is also lighter than a BB) to the USA. That's the bike I really want for my next one.

In any case, good luck with your plans, wherever they take you.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
... snipped ... In 2014 I bought a Burgman 650 and have used it for city driving and trips to the countryside ... I have started to do highway trips with a group driving Harleys, Goldwings and other large bikes.

1) I am wondering if a Goldwing would be too much bike for me? Recently I had an opportunity to test drive a 2018 Goldwing outside the city which was great, but didn't get to try it downtown.

2) I was wondering if a Goldwing DCT could replace the Burgman 650 for in town driving?
Seems to me the Burgman 650 is the ideal bike for your riding needs as described. What's it not giving you that you want from a Gold Wing DCT?

Re: a Goldwing, amazing tourer ... not designed to be a city/commuter bike for all of the reasons you know already and have read about here.

Go over to the Honda CTX700 forum and look at the ABS-DCT version. You can still pick up a very low mileage one for a reasonable price. Mid weight, automatic, cruiser/tourer sitting, enough power (similar to your Burg) and very good gas mileage. Also, harder to swing leg over full frame, hardly any native storage (3L I believe), chain driven maintenance ... IMO Burg 650 likely offers more in terms of convenience.

Also, you didn't mention 2 up riding as being a factor. Is it?

·
Premium Member
8,035 Posts
what a burgman doesn't give is goldwing respect from goldwing riders, if that's the most important thing,,,,,

·
Administrator
18,201 Posts
Well, go over to the Goldwing forums and ask this same question. Polar Opposites I bet.

Are we a bit biased, YA THINK??? ;)

·
Registered
254 Posts
The gentleman is 68 years old and contemplating buying a 2020 GoldWing:

MSRP: From $23,800....Curb weight: 787 to 847 lbs

“To replace the Burgman 650 for in town driving?”

I’m saying don’t do it....
keep the Burgman, get a Jet Ski, go skydiving and help a college girl pay tuition.

Don’t let your loved ones sell your $25k motorcycle with bad gas at a yard sale for $1k.

To the OP here is a current thread of a father/son Burgman/Harley Trip across America:

Help a college girl pay tuition,i like that one.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yes cute sisters. I wanted a burgman when it came out but cost. Hey on disability you can only afford so much.
For in town burgman 650 is grate! I've never been on long trips and rode for 30 yrs. It is up to you on what you want. I'm tempted to get another BMW as I had a 900, 70s model. Looking at
2002 BMW F 650 GS
But do I need another dual sport after 96 Suzuki DR650SE was stolen 2 yrs ago? 40s and disabled with bad bones/joints so probably don't "need" another. But do like playing in dirt and able to go off roading. Also don't need more to maintain. Scooters are grate when you have young kids. My young adults enjoyed 85 Honda Helix 250. Now 7 yr old enjoying burgman.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts