Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I post this in this forum as I understand both the 650 and 400 models have this paint in different years.

We bought our new-to-us '16 AN400 with a fine, hairline scratch across the front of the garnish. I have the Colorite touch up paint but it almost seems like overkill to use it on this little booboo ... i.e. I'll need a VERY FINE brush and touch not to make a sloppy mess of it. BTW - I do have a fine touch and access to artists paint brushes ... down to "000" I think it is. I don't think it'll be fine enough. 馃Ч

I've read elsewhere that with this metallic matte paint, you can't "buff it out" as it will "polish up" the paint and cause it to shine which will really stick out like a sore thumb. There used to be car wax you could buy that was sorta color coded to your car. I was wondering if I added a little touch up paint to a good car wax if that might work? Don't know?

Any one else tackle and solve this issue? What did you do and how did it work out? I know one answer is to paint the entire garnish piece but I don't want to do that because 1) lots of work for such a little scratch and 2) who knows how that approach will turn out. Ideas welcome.

Registered
I have bought and used the Suzuki "touch up" paint kit as boots Karen wore as pillion had a zip which marked (tiny mark but I'm picky) I used the paint using a fine brush and it worked well - I didn't use the supplied lacquer in case it was glossy, but any case the paint blended in well and has lasted. All matte finishes are in some part more difficult to maintain, i.e. do not use washes containing wax, do not buff the finish in any form etc. However, to some extent they always look cleaner even when dirty - I like the matte finish - many friends wouldn't touch one.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the confirmation JC. Initially we didn't care much for the matte paint or the colour but it has grown on us such that we now like it a lot. It's a bit finicky in that even after a good washing with proper automotive soap, the marks that remain (i.e. very deep bug splat that leave marks etc.) cause me to be very cautious in how hard I rub or what I use on them. In some cases, I cannot get those out.

Regarding the scratch, I guess I'll just try the paint brush and touch up approach and see how things work out. I too am picky ... and since this is my partner's ride, I want it to look as good as it can.

Registered
Not a fan of that flat paint finish. It will look old very quickly. Gloss you can use some meguars polish even after years and get the shine up to look renewed. The matte seems to look faded quite quickly

You might consider a sewing needle with addkng small pain. Mo matter how thin the brush is, they will move around and not go into the specific cracks you need. Add an unstable hand and it will not look good

Are the cracks from weathering over time or a frame issue? Maybe use some fiberglass matte and plastic epoxy to strengthen the back aide?

Dont use the nail polish brush in touch up paint. Youre never gonna get acciracy and it always stands out like a sore thumb

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
The matte finish looks "subdued" from new ... I believe that's the point!

I like the needle suggestion ... perhaps a toothpick might also work as it would tend to hold the paint better I suspect. It's a surface scratch ... not a crack in the tupperware. No panel repair needed. Think a very shallow "keying" job across the garnish trim piece. Maybe a tree branch brushed it or something in the PO's garage fell from above and brushed across it coming down.

Administrator
Cover it with one of these Band-aids ;)

Hello Kitty.jpg

Reactions: s-steel

Registered
Yea toothpick is even better.
Matte paint is that. I feel that matte finishes seem to look "tired" and flat. Im looking at it from a photographers ehe of light reflection and modeling. Matte has less modeling as there are less reflections and so doesnt show surfaces and curves properly. Add to the fact that the gray is an 18% light of the dynamic range which is a "bland shade" its not bad or good. I think they could have offered many better enticing colors. Emerald Forrest green even that midnight rust brown they had or blue. Platinum silver pearl white. On helmets matte finishes always look bad fast. They have rub marks and any nick marks stands out. They have pklished areas with wear and other padts dont. I used to print pictures in a kodak lab so my eyes are very sensitive to color tones and light

Registered
I hated the matte finish until I bought my 2016 Burgman 650 with black matte finish.

Bad news, you can't wax it. And I love to wax my bikes and keep them in showroom condition.

Good news, you don't need to wax it. The matte finish always looks clean. And if I want it to shine, I use Chemical Guys "Meticulous Matte" detail spray (less than $10 at Walmart) and the bike looks like new in less than 5 minutes.

I applied it to the front fender just before I took the photo below (took < 10 seconds ... it dries almost instantly and you just smooth it out)

Chemical Guys also sell products specifically for washing matte paint, but I haven't used them. I just rub it down with hot water + microfiber sponge. Like I said, the matte paint is pretty much always clean.

Reactions: suziblu

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for posting up the pic of the product.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts