Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a terrific video on how to fix broken tabs on a motorcycle fairing - it shows the guy using cable-ties as a welding rod as they are made from ABS plastic similar to bike tupperware (I bet you didn't know that) Brilliant stuff! Kenp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7GRNvPSf7k

·
Registered
591 Posts
Good find !!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
4,022 Posts
Excellent video for welding ABS. I have had great results using Krazy glue on cracks. To do so the crack needs to be clean and pressed together for a moment while the glue drys.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
FWIW, cable ties are typically made of nylon. I just did a quick search of the Thomas Register and found no ABS cable ties--not surprising as ABS has only 1/2 the tensile strength of nylon and would not make a very good wire tie. The fellow in the video is probably using a nylon tie, but much better would be to obtain some ABS welding rod.

It is not expensive, I bought a 50 piece assortment of rods (16 for ABS) from Harbor Freight over 5 years ago (along with one of these) and still have at least 10 left...

·
May have gone but will be missed
2,683 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Mix Crazy Glue and Baking Soda not sure what chemical reaction happens but we repaired the broken propellors on our Ultralight Airplanes whether they were composite or Wood it worked and it is sand able

·
Registered
11 Posts
simple and cheap materials is aplus

Mix Crazy Glue and Baking Soda not sure what chemical reaction happens but we repaired the broken propellers on our Ultralight Airplanes whether they were composite or Wood it worked and it is sand able
This technique works well and the best part is that you can find everything you need as close as the local grocery store.

Pete

·
Administrator
17,620 Posts
Mix Crazy Glue and Baking Soda not sure what chemical reaction happens but we repaired the broken propellors on our Ultralight Airplanes whether they were composite or Wood it worked and it is sand able
Remind me IF I'm up in West Kelowna not to go flying with you. :grin
I have used the Super Glue and Baking Soda for a few things. It does get HARD fast so work real quick in small batches.

https://www.instructables.com/id/Superglue-Hack/

·
Registered
484 Posts
Use fiberglass mesh in just the standard ABS sewer pipe cement, and just glue the tabs back on. The fiberglass makes the repair about 1000 times stronger than the original tab. I do this routinely with motorcycle plastics, no matter how damaged they are.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts