Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My exhaust pipe under the bike leading towards the back of the bike is discolored, presumably due to heat. Can it be darkened or painted black in some way? Will it last?

·
Registered
198 Posts
A mechanic just told me today that where I live (Vancouver Canada) ceramic coating of an exhaust pipe would cost about $15/ft. Otherwise high temp paint would last pretty good but you have to clean and prep the surface really well.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've used high temperature spray paint for outdoor grills. You can also go to your local automotive store for high temperature paint for exhaust headers.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks - I'll check those suggestions out!

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
I put a fresh coat of paint on mine once a year, the exhaust is rather easy to drop.

Find the highest temp paint you can find. Clean the exhaust, let it dry and apply a few thin coats.

Let it dry completely, remount the exhaust.

Keep in mind that the paint will need to burn in so you may notice a funky smell or see some smoke.

good luck.....

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Depending on what part of the exhaust you are talking about grill paint may or may not work. For the hottest parts it will fry off after a few days of use. The paint that does work is called Flameproof from VHT. It has to be cured with heat! You can either do it by running the engine or baking in an oven. The oven does a better job because it heats up slower and more evenly.

http://www.vhtpaint.com/products/flameproof/

·
Registered
144 Posts
To clarify my suggestion. The product I am referring to is not a paint. It is a polish that can be rubbed on with rag or sponge. Let it dry, then polish with a cloth. If you get some on the plastic parts. Will wipe off with no trace of the black polish on plastic. Will blacken your skin and can be washed off with mixture of chlorine. RUTLAND Stove and Grille Polish. Protects and Renews unpainted Cast Iron. Black liquid www.rutland.com

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
Yep, like David said. If you are old enough you will remember using "stove black" to spruce up the old stove.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts