Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I talked to Knut Wagner at Max-Moto this morning. Max-Moto is the US distributer for Remus, and Knut is very knowledgeable about the products he sells. He had a couple of exhaust cannisters for the Burgman 650 on hand (aluminum and carbon fiber models).

I have aluminum Remus exhaust cannisters on my V-Strom, and have put 5000 miles on them. They are not the least expensive, but they are extremely high quality. They produce a nice mellow exhaust note. They did improve both horsepower and torque on my V-Strom (I had dyno tests run). I did not have to make any changes to the Fuel Injection settings on the bike. They do not require periodic repacking like many of the other aftermarket mufflers. I know someone in this forum disputed it when I made that statement earlier, but Knut said that in eight years as a distributor for Remus he has never had to repack one. He has a BMW K1200 with over 50,000 miles on a set of Remus mufflers, and they are no louder than when they were new.

The model he had in stock for the 650 is the Remus Revolution. It comes with a removeable "noise insert" so that you can adjust the loudness of the mufflers - a nice feature. You do have to cut the stock muffler off, since it is welded to the exhaust pipe, but Remus includes measurements and instructions for doing that.

The price on the aluminum one is $360. Max-Moto pays for shipping. I ordered one. I'll post pictures and ride results when I get it installed.

If anyone else has an interest, contact information is:

Knut Wagner
MaxMOTO Distribution
(San Francisco, CA)
(415) 355-1400
[email protected]

·
Registered
46 Posts
They have any plans to make a full pipe, or just the slip-on's?

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Hi Paul !
They sound very interesting. What kind of numbers gain did you get from the V-Strom? Do you have intentions of putting the Burgman on the dyno before you install the new can?

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Allwalk,

Sorry, but I missed your post. No, I'm not doing the dyno tests with the Burgman. I don't think the CVT would allow the engine to rev appropriately for the tests - although manual mode "first gear" might work. I got a 10% peak gain in both horsepower and torque on the V-Strom, and the Remus curves were at all points higher than stock. That is remarkably without altering the FI maps at all.

The cannisters on the V-Strom are straight through, but the Burgman has a removeable silencer which I'll probably leave in place. I am expecting some gain, but not as much. Of course, you could remover the silencer, remap the FI with a Power Commander, and see quite an increase in performance I am sure.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Remus installed

http://burgmanusa.com/gallery/pauljo_Remus for the pictures...

OK, I did the install today. The worst part was cutting through the exhaust pipe. Scary thing for me to do. But it came out OK - they provide a picture with a measurement showing where to cut. I used a Sawzall with a metal cutting blade which I rented from Home Depot. The rest of it was just twisting nuts and bolts.

The scooter sounds better, but the sound level is not nearly as loud as the V-Strom. I'm running with the silencer in place - it is removeable if you want more sound (& power).

At idle, it sounds like a big lawnmower - but hey, it will cover up that dieseling sound!

At 80 mph, you can barely hear the exhaust over the wind.

In between is where it is cool. I found myself actually using manual mode and loving it - hearing the exhaust note rise & fall with the rpms as I shifted.

It is not loud enough with the silencer in place to be fatigueing to the rider, or to offend any nearby civilians.

Like the V-Strom, the scooter runs smoothly with no adjustments to the Fuel Injection needed. There seems to be more power on tap, particularly at highway speeds. Cranking the throttle open at 60 or 70 mph seems to result in more thrust.

The Remus weighs a lot less than the stock unit as well.

I think I'm going to enjoy it.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Looks really good mounted on the bike Paul. Thanks for the pics and info.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I rode my 650 some more today. It is definitely producing more power with the Remus exhaust than it did with the stock unit.

Accelerating away from a stop light in manual transmission mode, I rapidly approached redline in first, hit the button for second - and the front wheel lifted. Not a full wheelie, but it did take me by surprise.

The scooter feels generally more responsive when twisting the throttle in any transmission mode at any speed. I would guess we are looking at about a 5 hp gain with the silencer in place. Eventually I will remove the silencer to see what that does.

But my next step is to get a few mileage readings to see if there is any positive or negative effect on mileage.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Thanks for being a guinea pig, Paul. it sounds like you're really pleased with the unit. I gather that it's not objectionably loud from your remarks. I'd like a little more sound, but not so that it becomes an irritation to me and others.

Bob

·
Registered
689 Posts
Do you know if they will made a full replacement for our 650, say a bolt off and bolt on unit.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bob,

It is not as loud as the average lawnmower with the silencer in place. Due to European regulations (Remus is from Austria), the silencer is fixed in place with a rivet. But those who want louder sound can drill out the rivet and remove the silencer. Remus has a screw and washer kit for re-installing the silencer. The kit is being sent to me by MaxMOTO. I am curious about the sound with the silencer removed, but I want to be ready to put it back in if I don't like it.

I can't see where anyone would find the sound objectionable with the silencer installed.

What you do get is more power, a better sound, and a scooter that seems to ride and handle a little better without that big black boat anchor (stock muffler) hanging outside the rear wheel - the Remus unit is much lighter.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Pauljo I live in NJ how far are you, do you want to help me install one as you seem to be an expert on this mod.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Roger,

I can't answer your question. I did get a price break on the muffler from MaxMOTO for being the first to try it out - with the understanding that I report back to them on the results and provide them with a picture.

I have given them honest feedback. One of the things that I mentioned is that I was pretty nervous about cutting through the pipe, and that I thought a full pipe replacement would be a better approach, even though it would cost more. Where it will go from there, I can't say.

The Burgman is not the only application that requires a pipe cut - they told me that the popular Suzuki SV650 sport bike requires it also - and there are probably others.

The question I have is - why is Suzuki welding the darn mufflers to the exhaust pipe???? Are they just saving a dollar in production costs by welding instead of providing a clamp? Or are they looking ahead at future parts sales of the muffler AND pipe as a unit, rather than just a muffler? I sure don't like this trend.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
burg650 said:
Pauljo I live in NJ how far are you, do you want to help me install one as you seem to be an expert on this mod.
Ha! I lived in Connecticut for 25 years - even spent a few months working in Englewood Cliffs, NJ several years ago for my CT employer.

But two years ago I moved to Omaha, Nebraska. If you do buy a Remus, I'll be very happy to give you some tips on the install via email, based on my experience. Knut Wagner at MaxMOTO is also very knowledgeable about the Remus products.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Several of my neighbors had their lawnmowers going today. My comparison of the sound volume of the silenced Remus muffler to that of a lawnmower was inappropriate - the local lawnmowers are MUCH louder. Maybe with the silencer removed, it will rival a lawnmower in sound volume.

Went for a longer ride today. I didn't really notice the sound of the muffler at all when going over 60 mph.

I am really starting to think that I might like it with the silencer removed.
I'll find out in a week or so.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm thinking of ordering the Remus. Did you price the carbon fiber. Did the exhaust come with the front and rear hangers. It looks like you saw off in front of the front bracket. Also did you plug the Oxygen sensor port. I talked to Helli at Remus and he said something about an O2 port.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Roger Buente said:
I'm thinking of ordering the Remus. Did you price the carbon fiber. Did the exhaust come with the front and rear hangers. It looks like you saw off in front of the front bracket. Also did you plug the Oxygen sensor port. I talked to Helli at Remus and he said something about an O2 port.
I did not price the Carbon Fiber. I would think it would be $50 - $100 more. If you find out, let us know. I think the black cannister would look good on the 650.

All the necessary hardware is included. There is only one hanger (the rear). There are clamps for attaching to the pipes. Due to the lighter weight & shorter muffler, the forward hanger isn't necessary.

An O2 sensor hole plug is included. BE SURE TO TORQUE IT DOWN. It does not come torqued down because there is a crush washer under it. If you had a European Burgman and needed the O2 Sensor, you would want the crush washer for installing the sensor. I didn't know this, and my plug went missing during the first test ride. MaxMOTO shipped me a replacement plug overnight. Cost me $27 for the overnight shipping - they didn't charge me for the plug & washer though, which was nice of them.

·
Registered
34 Posts
The cost for the carbon fiber is $360 for the slip-on and $99 for the connector. So a total of $459. I talked to a Helli and he said he has some more on order but they are titanium and not aluminum so they will be the same as the carbon fiber. He has the carbon fiber in stock and I am going to order it. Thanks for the info on the installation.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I guess I was too late. When I called today, they were all sold. It may be a while before the next shipment. Too bad, I would have liked more sound and power for my track day next Sunday!

Bob

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Burger Bob said:
I guess I was too late. When I called today, they were all sold. It may be a while before the next shipment. Too bad, I would have liked more sound and power for my track day next Sunday!
Bob
Track day, huh?? And you were wondering about your tire wear rate?
He, He... Couldn't resist. Have fun.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Actually, the organisers call it an Advanced Rider Course, but it's really just an excuse to get in a day's worth of track time! I went last year and had a ball!

Bob

1 - 20 of 23 Posts