Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't own a Burg yet, but very likely I will within the next 3-6 mos. Still researching, still think I want a VFR (love the sound, and its credibility). Have owned 5 bikes to date over the past 35 years (off & on), last one was an '89 GL1500 (that's a Goldwing for those of you in Rio Linda).
Yeah, I'm one of those guys who likes to hear an engine sing, thus I was intrigued when I saw a B650 fitted with a Remus exhaust. Have ridden a 650 was quite impressed, but still kinda reminded me of a BMW in that it's sounded like a sewing machine, sorry, no offense to the Beemer riders.
So..........has anyone heard the Burg with the Remus? Any other comments you have, generally, about the 400 or the 650 I'd greatly appreciate.

·
Registered
409 Posts
JR.
You can''t compare the Burgman to the VFR. Totally different animals.

I agree with you that the Burgman sounds funky. I believe that Pauljo has the remus on his 650. i know he will respond.

Since I'm one of the perople who believes that one bike can't do it all, but them both.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Yes. I've heard the Remus on the AN650 - for the last 2500 miles or so that I've ridden mine. I also run Remus cans on my V-Strom.

The Remus "GP Revolution" cannister that they sell for the AN650 is quite different from the Remus Gran Prix cannisters on my V-Strom. The V-Strom cans are straight through, with honeycomb type steel baffling around the inside perimeter of the can. They produce a very deep, throaty, authoritative sound. Not the sharp blat of a Harley straight pipe - more of a mellow rumble/roar. Very like a glass pack muffler on a 50's hotrod car. But they aren't glass packs - so they never need repacking.

Expecting a very similar sound for the Burgman, I was initially disappointed. The model they sell for Burgman does have some peripheral baffling around the interior, but it also has a long silencer that runs up the middle. With the silencer in place, it is pretty quiet. A little nicer sounding than the stock can, but still very quiet. The silencer is supposed to be removeable, but it isn't easy to get it out. Due to European laws, it is held in place with a rivet, which has to be carefully drilled out, so as not to destroy the screw threads that are also there. (Remus has a screw kit which allows you to reinstall the silencer. But you have to request the screw kit - it was not initially supplied). The baffle is also very difficult to pull out. Due to its length, and the downward curvature of the exhaust tip, it hangs up inside the muffler.

Tip: If you buy the Remus, ask Max Moto (the distributor) to remove the silencer for you, and to include the screw kit as well. If they charge you a small amount for removing the silencer - trust me, it is worth it.

I did get the silencer out, and rode without it for several days. It is extremely loud without the silencer. The folks down at the dealership were impressed with the sound when I rode by - but I found it tiresome - even embarrassing when passing a car a full throttle.

My solution was to cut the back 3" off of the silencer and reinstall it. I just put it in a bench vise and took a SawZall to it. The very back end of the silencer is crimped - so removing it frees up exhaust flow through the silencer. It also makes it easy to insert & remove the silencer by hand, because it no longer gets hung up. Max moto had advised me to put some Loctite blue on the screw so that it wouldn't vibrate out - I did that, and it has stayed put.

With the modified silencer I like the sound. It has a growl when you hit the throttle, but it is not overly loud. Quieter than the V-Strom, but it has some character, and I can easily tell what the engine is doing even at highway speeds. Doesn't sound like I'm riding a darn Buick anymore. But it won't annoy the general populace either.

Remus cannisters are much lighter than the stock Suzuki mufflers (I bought the aluminum models - but they have carbon fiber models too). And unlike some of the competition, they do enhance horsepower and torque. I had the V-Strom dyno'd, and it gained 10% in both categories. I did not have the Burgman dyno'd, but it did feel a little more responsive after installing the Remus. I did not have to have the fuel injection remapped on either Suzuki.

Someone else here bought the Carbon Fiber Remus can for their AN650, so it would be great if they would post their impressions too - and I think BurgerBob has the aluminum model on his. I also wish we could get a report on the Leo Vince exhaust - I'm not sure if anyone here has it though.

·
Registered
498 Posts
JR,

I'm a big V-4 fan - I own both the RVF 750 RC45 and it's little brother the RVF 400 NC35. The sound with race pipes fitted is second to none, and makes Ducatis sound soft and stylized. However, it's also true to say that all Honda V4s sound like sewing machines with the standard pipes fitted - when I test rode the current model VFR800 I had to double check whether the stock muffler was stamped with the brand name "Honda" or "Singer".

Surely you are comparing a race piped VFR with a standard piped 650?

You are right, though about the sound of a loud piped 650 - there is nothing quite like the sound of a TMax or AN650 with a straight through pipe coming on song. The difference between the TMax and 650 is that the 650 has a bite to match the bark.

If you do go down the route of buying a 650, I'd follow Pauljo's instructions - he has extensive knowledge on this particular subject, and is generally an extremely valuable source of information. However, at the same time, I'd like to echo Edwljoseph in that comparing a 650 to a VFR is a bit like comparing a Porsche Carrera to a BMW5 series. Either buy both, or decide what sort of machine you want as they are pretty different machines. It has to be said, however, that if credibility is important to you, you may find yourself leaning towards the VFR, despite the fact that if long touring, commuting and town riding is your desired usage the 650 would be an ideal choice.

Good luck.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I heard a guy start up a new Honda ST1300 (1300cc V-4) the other day and ride away. Lycheed nailed it - sewing machine. You can hear every internal gear turning in that engine - zero exhaust sound. Yuk.

I know some of the newer riders are into quiet exhausts, and listening to music when they ride. And I'm afraid that many people associate motorcycle exhaust noise with the ridiculous harsh blatantly loud junk that the Harley riders typically run. I don't enjoy that sound much either.

But I'm from an era when hot rods, sports cars, and motorcycles all sang their particular songs through their exhaust pipes. I wouldn't have it any other way.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have the carbon fiber Remus on my bike. It sounds quite a bit better and looks much better. I haven't taken out the baffle on mine but I may. I would still like a little more exhaust sound than what I get with the baffle in but from what I understand from Paul? it is too loud with it out. Installation was easy and the carbon fiber looks great. I can't say if it has more power but seat of pants says yes. Got mine at MotoMax also.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Just a note: MaxMoto is the USA distributor for Remus exhaust pipes. There is another place called "Pipe City" that sells various motorcycle exhausts. I bought the Remus exhaust for my V-Strom through Pipe City at a lower price that it would have cost from MaxMoto.

http://www.pipecity.com/

The weird thing is that Pipe City doesn't actually stock the pipes. They take your order and forward it to MaxMoto - the pipes ship directly to you from MaxMoto.

Regardless of which place you buy from, you don't have to pay shipping, which is nice.

For some reason, Pipe City was too busy to answer their phone, and also too busy to return the messages I left, when I was looking for the exhaust for the Burgman 650. So I called MaxMoto, and got a very good deal directly from them. MaxMoto also answered their phone and helped me out when I had questions after receiving the pipe - and promptly sent the screw kit when I needed it. I give them high marks for customer service.

But if you're serious about buying a Remus exhaust, you might want to check both places for pricing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts