Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Removed my front wheel bearings well went to remove the bearing get in there dust covers is almost gone there were only 3 ball bearings left totally gone kaput now the problem is the outer shell of the bearing is in there4 with no way to get it out .by closer inspection it looks like the outer bearing housing has imbedded its self into the rim housing OMG so now I'm hoping someone here might have a spare rim laying around that they might not want a arm and a leg ive only found 1 they want 345$ don't have that kind of money I cannot catch a break anyway's if you have or know someone with a 2004 suzuki 400 rim for sale kind cheap let me know ty

·
Premium Member
14,229 Posts
Take a flashlight and look through the axle hole from the other side. See if there is lip sticking up from the bearing race. If there is take a long punch or a flat screwdriver and rest it against the lip. Take a hammer and tap on the punch then move it to the other side and tap again. Keep moving around the race taping as you go. Unless the race has welded it's self to the wheel you can usually drive it out that way. Just don't hit to many times on one side before you move to the other side so that you get the race wedged in the hole crooked.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys yes the race is the only thing left bearings were totally destroyed im waiting on my bearing puller to get here hopefully thursday that way i can pop out the good side to give me some clearence to pop the other one out with the punch i appreciate the help i sure do not want to have to buy a new wheel :(.ill let you guys know soon

Attachments

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
im thinking if i get some of my PB Blaster n spray in there .that it might help loosen it up

·
Premium Member
14,229 Posts
Looking at your picture, it looks like there is enough there that you should be able to get it out with the puller. I would give that a try first and if it doesn't work then go to plan B and use the punch.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
If it comes to do or die get someone to run a weld with a electric welder round the track were
the balls ran once it cools it will shrink the bearing and it will more or less fall out, but one wrong
move and disaster.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Wow! How many miles is on your bike?
I repack the grease in my wheel bearings at each tire change....but at 15,000 miles on a front tire that might be a little long for those who ride part time or in harsh environments. Suzuki grease is very waxy for world-wide shipping purposes and if stored too long will cake up and not flow or lubricate very well. I hate the stuff and know several "Good" Dealership who change it out an all new bikes. I've lost a clutch idler bearing to the stuff. :?
I've been following your progression of maintenance and it sure seems to have either been rode hard or stored very long previous to you getting it.
The up side is once you get it all done it should be a nice riding scoot.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i bought it with 27k on it started having issues 2 weeks ago .after a ride of about 200 miles with the club i belong to in jacksonville florida 1/4 mile from the house it's like a earth quake hit me while riding i stopped n thought i blew a tire but looked and seen the axle off wits i said dang must be a bearing..lucky i wasn't going 60-65 that i usally go when were in a cruisin mode.any ways i got my bearing puller from harbor freight today and had the bearing and racer that was left from the exploding bearing out within 20 min.ledude sent me instructions on how to make the wheel bearing press tool gonna go to ace n get parts and finish tomorrow i appreciate everyones impact on my success could not have done it with out everyone insight im slowly gettting the 04 up to new bilke standards :)

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: removing wheel bearings FIXED A BIG THANK YOU

BIG THANK YOU ,ScooteReno,burgermiester,Buffalo and Ralph m for all the quick suggestions and the insight on everything we discussed .plzz add me as your friend if you want hopefully one day i'll have the knowledge to help someone in need 1 day like yah have helped me i also want to thank Ledude for showing me how to make the bearing wheel press tool WOOOOOOOOOW NO WAY WOULD I EVER DREAMED OF SOMETHING LIKE THAT.Worked great and saved me alot of money as you all did.since i put new bearings in left and right alo0ng with new dust covers .man this 400 rides and glides into the curves like a brand new bike .again guys thank you so very much...JUST ONE LIL THING.
does any of you know the answer on what the front axle bolt should be torqued at :) :thumbup: :cheers:

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Front Axle 47 lb-ft pinch bolt 16.5 lb-ft

·
Registered
319 Posts
How did you not notice that bearing failing? That sucker must have made some noise, and the wheel had to have wobbled as the bearing self destructed. I'd consider myself lucky that the wheel didn't lock up with those parts banging around loose in there. On the positive side, looks like you may be able to get the wreckage out. I'd buy the bearing at a dealer, and ask nicely if he'd install it. Have a few bucks to give the mechanic handy, sometimes bribes do wonders. I had the local dealer supply the clutch idler bearing on my wife's 400 (like $20.00 or so...) and gave him another fin to remove and replace it. He also did a thorough grease job while he was at it.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
actuall by the grace of GOD it didn't kill me .but i did the work myself wasn't that hard.once i got all the right tools to take care of it bearing puller made my own bearing press out of a threaded rod and pvc couplings it's just as good as the factory if not better took it n got the wheel re balanced the guys looked at it n said you need a job .you did good i said no military retired no job needed so next step is replacing the clutch shoes n all internal parts then ill be good as new ..although i went today and looked at the new 2013 burgman 650 wow never know :)

·
Registered
112 Posts
I had the same problem recently & just tapped out the old inner bearing race with a flat nose punch. It didn't look much better. A local bearing shop used a micrometer to measure the OD of the old race I needed and the size of the axle I brought with me. They even had the grease seal to fit. Before I would go to OEM for the bearing or anything else I always check around first.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts