Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes I watched Mitch video of this topic.
Still couldn't get it off.
After a couple hours, I realized how...

Mitch shows 2 bolts 8mm x 1.25 but uses them as handles to pull on the case.

You need 2 such bolts that are threaded all the way up, about 50 mm length should work.
Thread them into the cover. Until they bottom out.
Then tighten alternately a little at a time. They will push the cover off the stubborn bearing. At least that's what happened to mine :)
You will be pushing against the pulley thingy and the cover will come off. There is no other reason for Suzook to put threaded bosses in the cover at that location.

Final drive oil change- first time: a couple hours with trips to the library Internet. :(
Next time: about 15 minutes. That's progress :)

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh yeah, put some oil on the bolts, you are threading into aluminum. Or "aluminium" across the pond.

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
Just a thought. If it is difficult to get off, is it difficult to get back on?

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Greetings, when putting the cover back on just use the 10 bolts and tighten them down gently in rotation around the rim, a turn or two at a time.
They will snug the cover down nicely ..Don't over tighten the bolts, suggested torque is about 7 ft lbs. that's only snug.
Good luck

PAUL

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts
I put a light coating of grease, either on the end of the shaft that goes into the bearing in the CVT cover, or on the inner portion of the bearing itself. It shouldn't be rotating there, but it does help in getting the cover off the next time.

After awhile, you'll find you won't need the bolts to remove the cover, but you can't do it without for the first few times.

Chris

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
/\ You cinch the cover on, by using the small bolts, yes I put a Mobil 1 film on the bearing surface so the bearing would pop into the case. Tighten the small bolts a little at a time, go around the cover. Make sure you line up the locating dowels!

Here is a good place to use a few studs next time. Holding the gasket in position was a PAIN. A couple of studs would have held it while I cinched down the cover :|

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Just a minor correction...!!!!! IT is NOT a clutch cover BUT a transmission cover.....OK?

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts
mike1nw said:
...Here is a good place to use a few studs next time. Holding the gasket in position was a PAIN. A couple of studs would have held it while I cinched down the cover :|
I used blue painters tape for awhile. I had a tube of some gasket material and finally used just a dab here and there around the gasket. It works like a champ and the gasket now comes off with the outer CVT cover.

Chris

·
Registered
1 Posts
Removing the cover is a piece of cake.
Putting it back was impossible for me.
I had to remove the 2 “clips” on the inside of the cover (see photo).
Will that affect anything?

Anyone with the same problem?

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
I greased the bearing and the nub on the clutch bell then used a rubber mallet to gently tap the cover back on, i didn't want to use the housing screws because there is a good chance you could torque/bend the
CVT cover.

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
I use a card withholes for the bolts 1 thru 10

Plus thethin grease on the end if the shaft as mich does, i also dudnt like usingthe bolts to synch up so i too used a rubber mallet, the gasket is a paini will try the gasket stuff next time

1 - 13 of 13 Posts