Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have ordered a Nep Throttle Lock and I figure that I will have to remove the grip to install it. Since I will be removing it/them I figure I will see if I can get larger diameter ones, I find the stock ones just a little small for my hands.
My questions are;
1: How does one get the grips off?
2: Any suggestions on larger diameter grips?

I figure that with my luck new grips will have to come from some place in the US and I will have to wait for all of this to arrive!
:evil:
Thanks for any suggestions!

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Sails, a bunch of ways to get them off: one, is simply cut them off if you're sure you're not going to use them again. Another...this is what I do now that I cut the first pair off: take the bar weight ends out, stick a skinny screwdriver up under the handle, squirt something like simple green, or any other cleaning solution up under the screwdriver, start working it around and the grip will loosen up to be pulled off. On the throttle side you have a nylon bushing that has a couple of thin ridges around it on the upper end...I guess Suzuki put these on to keep the grip from sliding off (thats why its easier to cut it off) ...no other purpose that I can see. Trim these off by cutting, sanding, or whatever you feel comfortable doing. Spray your new grips with hair spray, slip on, and let set overnignt. They'll never slip.

I use an aftermarket foam grip that my Suzy dealer ordered for me. Cost about $6. Larger than rubbers ones and really comfortable. Brand name was somthing starting with a "J"....like Jahar (but don't think its spelled that way). I'd gone thru two other types till I got these.

·
Registered
373 Posts
If you want to use the grips again, and remove them without damaging them. Best method I have found is to use a WD40 aerosol or similar with the tiny pipe that comes with them, push the pipe down between the grip & bar and spray. This will loosen it a little, continue doing this until you can remove the grip.
Replacing the grip, you will need to fully degrease the bar & grip. I find brake cleaner to be the best because it evaporates so quickly.

Hope this is of some use

Andy

·
Registered
100 Posts
nep

You don't have to take the grips off to put the nep on. It fits in the space available. If you need to do anything to the grip, all you have to do is roll it back a little and it will clear the nep. I have put on two of them and they work great. I changed my grips and used the foam ones and then covered them with leather. The suggestions on how to take off the old grips, works fine. I used 3m spray glue to hold mine in place but I think hair spray is a good idea.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dennis, it fits on the inside (toward the center of the handle bars) of the grips or on the outside beside the bar bumper?

Thanks everybody!! :lol:

·
Registered
100 Posts
NEP

Hi Ken
The Nep goes on the inside. You can put it on in 5 minutes with no tools. It just snaps togeather. the only adjustment is made with a allen wrench and they send it with the Nep. The wrench lets you set the drag when you engage the throttle lock.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Normsthename said:
If you want to use the grips again, and remove them without damaging them. Best method I have found is to use a WD40 aerosol or similar with the tiny pipe that comes with them.
My dealer recommended contact cleaner, available at many electronics supply stores. It dissolves the glue, but then evapoates without leaving a greasy residue. (I haven't tried it yet.)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts