Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My parking brake cable was sticking so I decided to get to the top of it and get some lube in it to see if I could get it to free up. To get to it you have to take the front box off. I've removed all the bodywork from the seat back and the front fairing before but I have never removed the front box.

Let me tell you that is a bit of a job on the early model 400. At least twice as hard as removing the front box on the 650. You end up having to take all the plastic off from the seat forward and the seat too. The battery has to come out and you have to unhook a number of wiring connections including the ECM and the dash.

I'm waiting on some penetrating oil to work it's way down through the cable to see if it will free up. Hopefully it will else I will be replacing the cable which will require removing about half of the rear plastic as well.

·
Registered
326 Posts
My brake quit working on my K05 a while ago. It was working fine then one day, no tension on the brake lever. Feels like it is not attached to the cable. But I am not about to remove a bunch of plastic to find I have a broken brake cable that I have no intention of replacing. I have no real need of a parking brake here in flat Florida. I find it hard to believe that it broke, the end by the rear wheel has no rust at all and is shiny clean.

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got mine working again. The cable wasn't broken just stuck probably from some corrosion inside the sheathing. I pumped penetrating oil in it and let it sit for about an hour then worked it back and forth until it moved freely. Followed up with some cable lube.

Then I started putting the bike back together. Worked at it for over three hours then hit an impasse with the windshield because two of the old well nuts have pulled apart. Tried two different places to get replacements with no luck. By that time I was tired so came back home and put all the tools away. Will go hunting well nuts again in the morning.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I’ve seen some problems with my parking brake too. Seems that it only wants to engage. Not disengage. Is there a certain way it wants to disengage vs engage? Also, see if you can call up Clearview Shields for well nuts. I have wholesale options from the family business, but they weren’t as nice as the ones that came with my Clearview. Wonder if they’ll sell a set?

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
12string if you ever do want to replace the cable I know a small shop that has a cable for an 05-400 in stock.

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
At one time I could find the well nuts at a number of places in town. But it's been 6 or 7 years since I bought any. I went all over town and could not find anyone that stocks them anymore. For now I just went to my standard go to for attaching body parts when all else fails, zip tires. There are 6 well nuts on the windshield and I still have 4 of them intact. The other two are now zip tied in place. I'll have to go online and order some well nuts or I might just leave the zip ties.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
When I replaced my front leg shield I trashed a couple of these but never replaced them. Do you happen to know what size they are? It appears that Lowe's stocks them and if I can find an appropriate size I'll probably go ahead and replace them. BTW Lowe's only stocks SAE sizes.

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
My parking brake was doing the same thing on my 650, wouldn't disengage. Luck on the 650's you just have to spray the lock plate right by the handle. Just pull the rubber back & shoot some spray lube on it. Works great now. ;)

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
After a little googling, looks like windshields have standardized around 5mm well nuts, which won't translate particularly 'well' to standard SAE sizes. Looks like they have to be ordered. Amazon has numerous examples of sets of 10 - includes bolts, washers and well nuts - for around $10-$12. OEM from one of the FICHE would price out at $42+ for same.

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
I found well-nuts at Lowes in the hardware section,
in the group of drawers where they have all the
odd-ball fittings...cotter-pins...roll-pins...rubber feet...
that sort of thing. They may have been SAE instead
of Metric, but they worked for me.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I get them at a local dealer (Barneys) for less than $10, and I get 20% off that with my club discount.

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We don't have a Lowes in Terrell, just a Home Depot. They did not have them. I will have to ride to Forney or Rockwall to go to a Lowes. Might do that and see if they have any. I use to buy them at Tractor Supply here in Terrell but they don't have them anymore.

As others have noted you can get them online from a number of sources. You can find them on both Ebay and Amazon.

Size is based on the size of the screw that goes through them not the outside barrel size. 5 mm is the size the bike uses and the outside barrel size is 9.5 mm which is roughly 3/8 inch. So if you are looking at SAE nuts you would want some with a 3/8 inch outside barrel diameter. Not sure what the listed size for those would be.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I just removed the entire front box today. One big tip, there are two bolts inside the glove box that need to be taken off. You need the thumb screw ratchets to do this. I didn't have them at the shop. Left them at the house so I ended up having to use 3+ extensions to get it off.

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I used a 12 inch extension plus a 10 inch extension to reach those two.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts