Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I am a newbie 400 rider (260 miles) and I wanted to see if by taking the back seat rest off, it would give me a little more leg room. I went out for a nice 120 mile ride last weekend and thought about stretching my legs a bit more. OK that said, I tried to unscrew the two screws that I believe are attached to the back rest and they were toqued so hard that I stripped both! Personally, they stripped a little too easily...I am not a muscle bound guy...

Ugh!!! Now I have to get something to get those puppies out.

Before I mess things up any more I was wondering if there was any illustrations on the forum for a simple how to and what to do with what I assume will be two holes in the backrest once I take the moveable rest out. This, of course, assumes I'll actually get the torqued screws out in the first place. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
A good pair of vice grip pliers will help immensely. Get a good grip, lock 'em up tight & turn 'em out.

Don't worry about reusing or even replacing the screws, they are only there to keep the backrest adjustment bars from coming out of the seat. They really aren't necessary.

Hope this helps...

·
Premium Member
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Wyldman. Any ideas about the holes that I will be leaving once the backrest is out?

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
I simply can't believe it's that simple. I can't find those two set screws that are supposed to be so tight. I've had the two larger screws that aren't supposed to be removed off, and taken off the underseat light fixture, I've positioned the back rest as for as it will go both ways . . . and I still don't see those screws. Under the seat, right?

I've even bought the 2008 Service Manual, and as near as I can tell it's not in there.

Has anybody documented this procedure in the gallery? So far I have managed to install a Givi windshield, found out it was too tall, removed it, had it trimmed and put it back on. I've removed the pillion handles to install those four screws for bungee cords, that was a lot more of a project than I anticipated, so at least I don't think I'm totally inept, I just can't find those two set screws.

Bill

·
Registered
2,832 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Those two screws aren't doing anything except keeping the backrest from pulling all the way out. And you might not have stripped them, they just spin in the bar. And there's nothing in the service manual about them either.

They're a pain in the butt. Here's what I did; remove the seat completely. It's so much easier working ont the seat this way, and you can see what you're doing. I couldn't see a thing either when looking up at the bottom of the seat, and couldn't hold a flashlight and two screwdrivers at the same time. Remove the support strut first, then there's four bolts that are a little difficult to get to at the front of the seat (easier with the strut gone though so you can open the seat more). Turn the seat upside down on a table. Now you can see the two access holes. Move the back rest back and forth a little until you can see the two screws. If they're spinning, get in the hole with a long flat scredriver and lift up on the head of the screw. It'll back off easy then. If it's really stuck, give it a squirt of WD-40 and wait a bit. It'll come off.

good luck!

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Re: Removing driver's seat back rest on a 400 - Hallelujah! Done

In answer to the last question to me - it's an '08. Somebody gave me a link to a similar thread on the 400 07+ thread and I got the magic answer there. I hope this is avoiding a cross post as I link to my success story over there.
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=30341&p=295249#p295249

Thanks for the help. :cheers:

Bill in WV :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1 Posts
@mrm7592 . . . So, did you get this done? Also, anyone else know of a nice comfy upper back rest arrangement for the front so that the factory seat can be both raised and moved back some? I seen some pics but the links associated with the images are all malfunctioning.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts