Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought new tires for my 06 400 and plan on taking the wheels off myself to save $, then taking them to a shop that does tires for mounting and balancing. I watched Mic Bergsma videos on removing front and rear wheels separately, which looks pretty straightforward. However, how safe is it to remove both wheels at the same time? Do you need extra support under the bike? Thanks.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I would not recommend removing both wheels at the same time

·
Premium Member
14,257 Posts
I've done it on both my 400 and my 650. Bike on the center stand to get the rear wheel off the ground. A floor jack under the frame to get the front wheel off the ground. Remove the rear wheel first because when you jack the front up it lowers the rear of the bike down causing the tire to touch the ground.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Put the scooter on the centerstand.Then use a small mechanical scissor jack with a small piece of wood placed as far forward as possible under the engine.Raise the jack just enough for the front tire to to have clearance from the ground.Check for stability and remove front wheel .If necessary,you can lower the jack in the front to provide a little more clearance for the rear wheel removal.Under no circumstance use a hydraulic jack as a substitute for the mechanical jack!Good luck!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Put the scooter on the centerstand.Then use a small mechanical scissor jack with a small piece of wood placed as far forward as possible under the engine.Raise the jack just enough for the front tire to to have clearance from the ground.Check for stability and remove front wheel .If necessary,you can lower the jack in the front to provide a little more clearance for the rear wheel removal.Under no circumstance use a hydraulic jack as a substitute for the mechanical jack!Good luck!
When you remove the front wheel, the balance is still forward of the center stand, correct? That was one of the things I was worried about. Also, I suppose you could use a car scissor jack, right? And the reason you don't want to use a hydraulic jack is because it might suddenly lose pressure or something? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I pretty much do it the way Buffalo describes. After removing the front, I typically just let the forks rest on a piece of scrap plywood.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I removed both my wheels to refinish them. This is how I did it.

1. Put bike on center stand.

2. remove rear wheel

3. Place a hydraulic jack with a 2x4 under the front underside "between center stand and front wheel". Jack it up enough to remove front wheel but not too much to let it tip to rear. Place something in the rear to act as a stop just in case 2x4's etc.. Remove front wheel.

4. I then lowered the jack to let the front end down closer to the ground for safety purposes. As I have kids in the garage and had it jacked up for a week while I re-finished the wheels. I also braced it with 2x4's in case the jack gave loose.

No big deal, just remember all the weight stays forward most of the way due to the center stand pivot point. But go to far to the rear the weight will shift rearward.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, the rear tire, a Michelin City Grip, was delivered first, so I removed the wheel (easy) and took it and my new tire to the local Honda dealer for mount and balance for about $30. I noticed the new Michelin does not have a low weight dot on it, and found online that it's not unusual. When I picked up the finished wheel, it had no balance weights on it. The tech said it balanced out OK without adding weights - but I'm a little uncomfortable with that. So I plan on giving it a good spin in the driveway to see if I can detect any wobble.

Any comments on the wheel apparently not needing balancing at all, after a new tire mounting?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
14,257 Posts
When I had a City Grip mounted on the rear of my 400 it also balanced without any weights. And that was on a spin balance machine. The one I had mounted on the front only took one small weight to balance. Evidently these tires are pretty uniformly made.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
My last CG rear required less than 5gm when I did it myself. The one before that on a spin balancer, no weights. So I'd say they're pretty consistent (or calibrated to the alloy angle stems that are common on ebay).

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Everything went smooth with the front wheel. My bike's different from the one in Mic's video though - his has 2 front discs, while my only has one plus the black speedometer sensor on the right side. When removing the wheel it helps to loosen the speedo cable by removing the retainer bar. I took my front wheel and new City Grip to a local Suzuki shop and had a right-angle valve stem installed when it was mounted and balanced (took one 20 gm wt), so it will be easier to air up. I put 40 psi in the rear and 30 in the front. Bike rides very smooth and is more fun to ride that ever. Tried 2 up with my daughter yesterday - her first MC ride. She loved it!

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
My bike's different from the one in Mic's video though - his has 2 front discs, while my only has one plus the black speedometer sensor on the right side.
Mitch's video shows an '07-400....from '07 & later,
they come with 2 rotors on the front wheel.
The '03 to '06 like yours, only has a single rotor.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
One more little concern - when I removed the exhaust while removing the rear wheel, I didn't think about it at the time but I saw in the s/m where there is a gasket between the exhaust pipes. I didn't see it up in there and nothing fell out. Is there any need to take another look, and perhaps replace it?

·
Premium Member
14,257 Posts
The gasket will usually stay stuck to the exhaust and not fall out. Unless you are hearing a leak at the junction I would not worry to much about it.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Excellent. I run city grips on mine also and love them so far.

I don't know why you're running so much pressure though? Run what it says on the VIN Tag by your gas cap door and call it a day.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Excellent. I run city grips on mine also and love them so far.

I don't know why you're running so much pressure though? Run what it says on the VIN Tag by your gas cap door and call it a day.
Just trying higher pressures because I just started giving my wife and daughter rides and don't want to change it all the time, at least for the rear. Front I'm trying 30 psi based on other's experience about tread wear. I'm not sure it makes any difference but the ride still feels just fine.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts