Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I removed my backrest on my 650 today. It was much more comfortable being able to sit further away from the handlebars. I am able to carve up the corners more easily as if I was on a cruiser. I didnt realize how unrelaxed I was driving being closer to the console. I have a better view of the mirrors and dash by being a few more inches away. Now I have to find a place to make me a new seat cover, and gel insert. Im not handy when it comes to things like that. I wish I had taken off the backrest long time ago. I have to admit the holes are ugly and need to be covered.
-Bryan

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Bryan,

It sure made a difference for me too. I rode my 650 some yesterday with the re-upholstered seat. It seemed very comfortable. They added additional foam to get the roll and pleat effect, plus they put a layer of foam where the backrest had been. I really don't see any need for a gel pad - I'll know for sure once I take it on a 200 mile jaunt.

You can get 7/8" black plastic hole covers at a hardware store to plug those holes temporarily - cost me 55 cents apiece. Occasionally one would fall out, so I used to carry a spare.

I also didn't feel comfortable with doing it myself, so I started checking with local auto upholstery shops. The first one didn't seem overly interested in doing the job. Then I went to Lion's, and the guy had 4 motorcycles parked in the back of his shop - he rides. Good sign, I thought. He seemed enthusiastic about doing the job. I took the seat in on Monday and got it back on Tuesday. He did a great job - really exceeded my expectations. And he stuck to his original estimate even though the job cost him more for materials than he had anticipated. So check around at local upholstery shops - you might find a good deal.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Sounds like a great plan.

Sounds like a great plan. The gel pads are worth the money and getting rid of some of the cushion and building a natural sitting position for the rider will make the bike look /ride better. It will also streamline the bike. I will try to keep it clean as possible by using black CarbonFX – This material offers some of the appealing texture of GRIPTEX but without the cleaning or surface water issues. This is a heavy-duty, high performance material offering a fresh sporty look. I have been checking all the shops online and the great pictures everyone has posted. I would just plug your holes as per the last post and look for someone who will help design a better looking seat to your standards. I bet you can streamline the bike better with gel pads, less foam in the seat will be required with the gel pads and the seat will be more comfortable. The seat color will also compliment the color of the bike. I am sticking with solid black since it goes well with my silver bike.

Jay

·
Registered
64 Posts
Slightly off topic but does anyone have any info/pics/weblinks that shows the Suzuki lower replacement seat as well as any info on price and whether they will take the old one back for credit? My dealer looked at me like I was from Mars when I mentioned it.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I would dearly love to take the back rest off if only I could get the screw out!

I got the left one out easily, but the right one is the biggest bitch of a screw I've ever encountered.

I totally did a Rambo on it and it simply won't budge!

I just can't believe it. I tried 10 screwdrivers, trying to break the head off with a chisel and hammer, twisting it externally with various pliers and lastly trying to drill it out.

Arghhhh. :evil:

I will take it to an upholsterers too to recover it, if I ever get it out!

Good tip about the plugs for the holes. I'll pick some up.

It's taken me several months to realize that I am just too close and my legs would be much happier stretched out, as removing the back rest will allow. I want to try it already.

Such a tight screw is a good testament to the build quality of the bike as a whole perhaps. In fact, all the other screws I've had to deal with (e.g. during my first service) were also very, very tight.

This is surely one of the least important screws on the whole bike.

David

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
David,

The right screw on mine was a problem too. I worked on it for about three days with no luck getting it to budge. I took it in to the dealership for the 600 mile service, and requested that they try to remove the screw.

They did get it out. The mechanic said that he tapped it with a hammer and it came right out. Do I believe him? :dontknow:

·
Registered
220 Posts
backrest

I changed the oil and filter on my AN650 today, did it at my friend's garage, Bisbee Bug. They specialize in Volkswagen repair, and it's nice to work in a professional place with all the right tools and a clean creeper to slide around on, rather than lying in the dirt under my carport.

As I was doing this, I mentioned to Jack, the owner, that many folks were complaining about not being able to remove the screws that held the back rest on. He said many new products have really tight fasteners. He was sure right about the drain plug. I had to use an extra long rachet to get it loose.

Anyway, while I was thus engaged, Jack proceeded to unscrew and remove the backrest screws. Go figure. When I learned he had done this I was amazed. (I also tightened them back up as I'm not sure I want to remove the backrest yet, but now I know that I can). He also recommended the hammer tap and the impact wrench if they won't come out, plus penetrants, before draconian measures such as smashing off the head and drilling.

Does anyone know if Corbin makes a seat yet for the Burgman?

·
Registered
15 Posts
seat removal

I enjoy my seat utopia backrest, but some times flip the backrest over and out of the way. Thus you have the backrest when you want it and dont have to remove when you dont.

injun

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Re: backrest

Ted White said:
Does anyone know if Corbin makes a seat yet for the Burgman?
Ted, they will do it on a ride-in basis at their California factory. There are pictures in the photo gallery and a verbal account somewhere in the forum from a person who had it done.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Hmmm. A "ride in." A bit far from Bisbee, AZ. I think Corbin is somewhere north of Los Angeles?

However, it's worth considering. Might tie it in with a mini-vacation.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
The Corbin factory is in Hollister,CA. MapQuest told me it would be a 3,400 mile round trip for me. So a quick mental talley of gasoline, lodging, meals, tire wear, plus about $500 for the seat work = one very expensive seat! I am quite happy with the results of the $200 job I had done locally.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts