Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

Remove the bum stop and then what....

4K views 23 replies 11 participants last post by  lilleyen 
#1 ·
Okay so if I decide to keep the bum stop removed what do I put in it's place? Do I need to make some sort of pad deal that will fit in the same holes? I will be trying it out and if it works well then I will need to find something because the back of that seat is pretty hard.
I was thinking of going to the local upholstery shop and see if they could make a thinner pad for me. Or maybe making one thinner and taller.. I don't know. I am still in the thinking phase..

#2 ·
Nancy,

Some riders have shaved down the existing pad and put the cover back on. It you want to leave the backrest completely off, you can get some plastic plugs at a hardware store. Another option is to use Jac's backrest bracket at :

http://www.rvtoys.net/

#3 ·
Nancy - My first 400 miles were rode factory stock. I was lacking leg room. Then I rode mine for about 2 weeks with the bumstop removed (after peering into this great forum). I needed the leg room.....like Pauljo said elsewhere, to me, it wasn't uncomfortable with the stock bumstop off, it was just unsightly. Even if my hand feel (around the plastic embed) said otherwise. I went big and got the corbin but now I am having to (probably) get bar risers. The corbin is well built and sexy....and the leg room - my biggest gripe - is now great. Please try this...I say take the bum stop off. Ride it for about ~ 50 miles (all at once). If it fits and it's comfy? Well then get some cover-up for the bum stop holes. Prsnly, if I had to do it all again, that's what I'd do. The only thing beside that is the (your now) lack of a backrest (in the stock seat in the bumstop removal sense) which it really wasn't to begin with. Now that I popped for another huge amount for the "matching" corbin backrest I have to say that it IS a good thing and that it did make my large (regular) corbin much more comfortable....especially when you are stuck at traffic lights, and want to relax and lean back. (i am 6 foot in shoes and 190 plus pounds and I have a 34+ inseam).
...just my 2 cents....peet.

#4 ·
How much room do you really need?

If it's only an inch, then shaving, and modifying the butt stop will be enough. If you need more, than removing it is the best way, or install a backrest fom jac iverson.

#5 ·
I've looked at the back rest extender, however I don't think I want to go that route. Corbin seat is out of the picture due to price.
I think Billy is going to talk to that shop by his work and see how much they charge. They make custom seats and might be able to make me a skinnier butt stop. I would just hate to cut the orginal one up and then try to sell it next year or whenever I get ready. All else fails, I'll make something that will pop in there.

Thanks for the responses. I'll have to go riding even though 50 miles may not be long enough, I may need to go a little further. :wink:

#6 ·
Nancy.
One more option. if you look at the back of the stop you will see the cover is only glued on, peel back the
leatherette and you will see 4 easy to get to nuts. By removing the nuts you separate the pad from the base,
I took that base to the auto shop they put a little foam and covered it.
So now the base fits back in the holes and I have a little padding + a few inches more.

On the other hand if you get a corbin seat let me know, I will come up and buy you and your husband lunch just to let me try it. :)

#7 ·
Nancy, if you press on the foam at the bottom of the back rest, you will notice there is very little foam to shave over at the bottom. There is a metal plate under the foam and it sits at a angle and extends toward the seat. If you want to gain the extra room, you may need to remove the metal frame.

#8 ·
Randy said:
On the other hand if you get a corbin seat let me know, I will come up and buy you and your husband lunch just to let me try it. :)
He only laughed when I told him. Guess that means I won't get a new seat. :?

#9 ·
roy_ryall said:
Nancy, if you press on the foam at the bottom of the back rest, you will notice there is very little foam to shave over at the bottom. There is a metal plate under the foam and it sits at a angle and extends toward the seat. If you want to gain the extra room, you may need to remove the metal frame.
I will look at it and see. I wanted to stay away from messing with the orginal piece just in case I wanted to sell the bike later down the road or with my luck, totally mess it up.

So, here is my new thought. Get some foam and some sort of pipe or plastic plug deal that will fit in the holes. Get the shape that I woud like and make my own little pad. I'm thinking about putting my name on some leather and wrap it. Just a thought and looks good on paper. Won't know how it pans out until I try it in a few weeks.

#10 ·
I'm curous about removing the metal frame to get more space, yet retain the stock look (and be able to return to stock). If we remove the metal frame and cut a couple of small slit's into the plastic, could we use a big zip tie (through the plastic and the 2 holes in the seat) to hold the hump to the seat? Would it be secure? Would it add much room? Would a few strips of self adhesive velcro maybe also be needed? Hmmm...

#11 ·
Robert,
Removing the metal bracket, but keeping the pad (as is), will gain about 1/2"-3/4". However do a test 1st. install the metal bracket, with out the pad, and push back as far as it will go, till it locks. Then pull the latch like your going to adjust it, and see if it goes back further. mine did about 3/8". I added 1 more slot to the bar that same distance, and gained a bit. The mods I did, were to keep it looking as origional as I could. The butt rest I always felt was sloped foward, and not up and down. Adressing this issue picks up another 1/2" to 3/4"or so.

P.S I like the Velcro Idea

#12 ·
I think my butt matches the shape of the stop pretty well - so I don't know about making it more vertical. I just need it further back. I've ridden with it out and liked the room, but not the hard back. So I need to either move the pad back somehow, or spring for a Corbin seat. With getting married and buying a new house - the Corbin isn't going to be happening. So...

#13 ·
I removed the butt stop and had the seat recovered with a bit of additional padding. There are pics posted in the gallery. Burg650 and Paul have done the same. I am quite happy with the look and comfort.

#14 ·
Yeah, I just wonder if putting a little bit of padding in place of the stop would save any more space compared to getting the stop back as far as is possible. If I could get it to mount securely without the frame, then would it save me much space? I know it would save me the $100 of recovering the seat. :) Making a little pad to snap into the 2 holes would be nice too.

#15 ·
OK, please be patient with the new guy. What is a bum stop and where is it located?

#16 ·
Hey Don, welcome to the forum. :)
The driver's seat on the Burgman 650 (and 400...) has a padded hump on it, which is moveable fore and aft. The release trigger is on the underside of the seat, and it allows the hump to move as long as you hold it. Shorter riders move it forward, taller ones move it back for more leg room. Really tall (I'm 6'2" or 6'3" depending on the time of day) riders sometimes remove it all-together to get the maximum leg room. The problem with that, is that then you have 2 holes in your seat, and a spot with no padding (right where my tail bone hits it).

#17 ·
Thank you Robert. I purchased a Utopia rider's backrest and the padded back is no longer adjustable. Don Fuzzy

#18 ·
Robert said:
**snipped**
Making a little pad to snap into the 2 holes would be nice too.
I'm going to be trying to fabricate something soon. Maybe we should exchange notes on what we come up with. Get one good product and market them.. :wink:

I can't afford a seat recover either. :(

#19 ·
Went 100+ miles today. The seat will not be getting any sort of new bum stop made. I am going to get a windshield first and then take the seat down to the upholstery shop and have the hard part padded and redone. I loved the extra room but didn't like the hard spot.
Really think the windshield needs to be first though.

#20 ·
Pinwheel said:
snipped then take the seat down to the upholstery shop and have the hard part padded and redone. I loved the extra room but didn't like the hard spot.
Really think the windshield needs to be first though.
Pinwheel, I just ordered two Dark Grey sheepskin seat pads from http://www.sheepyhollow.com/indexfront.html
About $30.00 each US, $38.00 CDN
Genuine Australian sheepskin direct form OZ.

Couldn't help it, they look sooooo comfortable. :lol:

Been reading how they are warm in cold weather and sweatproof in hot, and I had to have one. (so of course my wife will too) :wink:

I probably will be shaving off some foam anyway from my seat, so this will help if it gets too hard.

Something to consider for you.

#21 ·
lilleyen said:
Been reading how they are warm in cold weather and sweatproof in hot, and I had to have one. (so of course my wife will too) :wink:
Does this mean that you have told your wife about your bike order?

#22 ·
Sails said:
lilleyen said:
Does this mean that you have told your wife about your bike order?
Yep :)
I think she is secretly looking forward to it. :wink:
We've even discussed the shopping for clothes for her, part.
"Shopping". That's the key. :lol:
She wants to know what she is supposed to do if I have to have my afternon nap while out riding. (I get sleepy in the late PM)
I suggested she can guard the Burg. 8)

#24 ·
Sails said:
lilleyen said:
"Shopping". That's the key. :lol:
Buy the BIG E52 Givi box, you can take it off when she isn't with you and it limits how much she can buy! That is how I dealt with the shopping. :roll:
Told her I've found it might not cost much to oufit her after all. :twisted:

She said ha ha

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.