Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,
I'm working on an overheat issue I've run into at idle and in traffic a few times.
So far haven't gone to kill, but something's not working and the obvious candidate is the fan.
I was trying to pull the fan switch plug off the back of the radiator earlier to jump it and make sure that's working (the fan does spin easily), but it was being recalcitrant. It'll be a bit before I can make the second attempt so figger it wouldn't hurt to ask if somebody could explain how the funny looking clip on that thing is supposed to work.
Most I've seen are a single piece and you either push them down or pull them up and the pull the plug.
This has a weird split look to it.
Do I spread the clips and wiggle it free, lift them depress them and pull or something more obtruse involving playing left handed mando while petting a japanese monkey who has to remove it using a special Suzuki tool that's made from solid unobatainium?
Thanks
Tromper

·
Premium Member
14,257 Posts
I've had that plug off before but it's been so long ago that I don't remember exactly how it works. Seems every plug on the bike works different and you have to puzzle out how each one works. Once you get it right they easily come loose. Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
2,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the later more than the former. I can kinda see the plug, but still not sure about how the silly thing works, and am working carefully trying not to break it.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
I'm off to bed now. It's 11.30 PM here, but I'll take a 1:1 look tomorrow.

I think you squeeze the top and bottom part together.

·
Super Moderator
2,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got it. Took a pliers wide enough to span the two tabs, squeezed and it popped off.
No idea why this didn't work the last few attempts, but I'll take it.
Now the fun part..

·
Super Moderator
2,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well meh. I jumped it and it didn't run.
I went back to the next plug and found a lot of corrosion, and a loose wire

I cleaned that up stuck it back together then jumped it there, still nothing.
I did get some sparking (unintentionally) when the wire that dropped out so there does seem to be power to it.
I'm debating pulling that whole plug apart and cleaning it more thoroughly and seeing if that gets it vs. just saying to heck with it and pulling the whole radiator.

The fan does seem to spin freely, just not under it's own power.
Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
14,257 Posts
You might want to try running jumper wires from the battery or another 12 volt source directly to the fan and seeing if it works. If it does then I would suspect the corroded plug.

Can't see any reason to pull the whole radiator. From what you are reporting it would appear you have an electrical problem not a radiator problem.

·
Premium Member
14,257 Posts
How I would go about trouble shooting it would first be to use a test light or multimeter to see if you have current coming through the wires into the corroded plug. Then I would plug it up and see if you have current going to the wire leading to the temperature sensor plug on the bottom of the radiator. If you are getting current there then check the ground side of the wiring to determine you have a good ground. If you do and you have determined the fan works when it is hot wired then the problem is likely a bad temperature sensor switch.

·
Super Moderator
2,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got it!

Hokay,

Took it all apart even started pulling the fan, (was doing one side at a time...and when pulling the refurbished plug out found that my clip I'd put on had decided to shear.

Put a new clip on plugged it in without hassling putting it through the plastic cover, ran it up to temp, & voila, the fan turns on & off.

Just need to do a better fix on the plug, test it again, put it all back together, and will be good to go.

Thanks to all of those who helped out on this.

Since there are more than a few cases of this exact spot failing I suggest that anybody who rides in weather or lives in a damp climate should take a look at this and hit it proactively.

Cheers! :kermit:

Tromper

1 - 11 of 11 Posts