Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
Trying to remove the 2014 650 Front Panel as per LeDude's video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sfz5BVBvXy4 This is the thing that covers the glove box and ignition key (want to hardwire my GPS, I guess to the key -or- run wires to the cigarette lighter).

Apparently they changed the Tupperware design for 2014... I only see 4 screws, 2 on each side. I took em out, and it doen't budge. LeDude's video clearly shows 8 screws, 4 each side.

Anybody taken off the Front Panel on a 2013-14?
Thanks in advance.

- Don

·
Registered
143 Posts
Don, I haven't removed the panel on a newer bike yet but even on the older models the break away clips hold the panel quite securely even with all the screws removed. What I'm trying to say may just require more muscle to remove Good Luck! Mark

·
Registered
175 Posts
I'll be taking off the same panel this coming weekend to install the heated grips and heated seat. According to the factory service manual, after removing the the handlebar covers, remove two clips which are by the mirrors, then remove two screws, one each under both the small dash storage doors. Then remove the front panel rearward.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Azccj... yeah, those clips and screws are plainly visible and that's what I removed. Maybe ashby102 is right... now just gotta tug harder on the thing. Don't want to break anything, but I'll give it another go.

- Don

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I'll be doing the same this weekend to wire my gps. Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, got this figured out now. Here's the scoop... ashby102 is right, after you remove the 2 clips by the mirrors and 1 screw each next to the L/R compartments, its just a matter of working the Front Panel free from the snug clips along the front.

* Lift the part nearest the glove box door upward slightly to clear 2 close pin type clips
* work your way along the sides, then
* deal with the front (the tightest fitting part)

From what I saw there were no delicate/breakable parts along the front. I just kept wiggling it gently L/R and each side eventually worked free. Be patient. One side frees up, then the other.

Putting it back together was far easier BTW, seemed to just snap into place almost immediately, no hassle. Be careful to get all the tabs along the front part back in.

As for my device connections, there was no real place to connect bare wires, like for my GPS and Kuryakyn LED Battery Gauge, near the key switch. That's a sealed metal unit. I did notice an empty 3 prong socket for (I assume) the Heated Grips connection... if you bought the genuine Suzuki part, it should have the mating plug... just snap it right in there.

I hooked up my GPS and LED Gauge through a small hole I found factory drilled through the lower left part of the glove box (look in the area left of center). I fed a string out through that hole, pulled it up through the now exposed Front Panel region, attached my device wires to it, then pulled them through the little hole by pulling the string. Easy.

Then I soldered a 12v male connector to the wires, tested for shorts with a Volt-Ohm meter, then plugged them into the socket in the glove box. Turned the key, everything worked.

The little bit of dangly wire I had left over in there I fastened to the top of the glove compartment with heavy duty black Velcro tape. Not even visible now. Nice clean job, no cutting or drilling.

Goes without mentioning, work out your device cable clearances carefully, rocking the handle bars full left and right, then cable tie your bar-mounted device wires down along the bars and frame.

Good luck

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I was under the impression that the rear of the power socket was exposed when the front panel was removed and I could just solder on to it directly. Is this the case? Or do I need some other way to get at its leads?

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Interesting. The earlier models are placed down front. From the video I saw, it looks exposed as well.

Those clips look handy. I'm thinking i could get a clip splitter, a couple clips and tap in that way, easy breezy.

Can anyone confirm the older model power socket is exposed and whether is uses those clips?

·
Registered
143 Posts
The older models are much the same but the wiring to the power socket is much lighter. I've had my GPS hooked to it for years no problem, Mark

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
That was seriously easy. Tupperware came right off. I just stuffed the wires in with the clamping part of the power socket tabs, zip tied the loose wire and DONE. No soldering necessary. They seem quite secure. Whole project took less than an hour. Woohoo.

I might redo a little better later, but I think this will work for now.

Sorry, pictures are uploaded, but system stalls after that. Not sure why. Ipad?

·
Premium Member
302 Posts
THIS is what I needed today. Directions aren't that much different from the pre-2013 other than it's EASIER.

I pulled the handlebar covers and the front panel off. Ran a 12V DC outlet wire to direct-connect with the battery so I can have always-on power. I didn't want to splice into anything either. This was MUCH easier on the 2016 than it was on the 2007 650.

Way to go, Suzuki.

And, I broke nada. Bonus.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts