Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How does one remove the butt hump from a 2005 400? I'm wanting to try this and see if it makes my rides any more comfortable and secure feeling.

Thanks.

Bruce

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
You have to push the hump all the way to the rear, as far as it will go. Underneath, you will see the heads of two screws in the travel bars. These will only be visible when the hump is all the way to the rear. You will also see that they reside inside of two holes in the pan (this is why they are only visible in the rear most position).

Remove those two screws and the hump will then be able to be removed by pulling it all the way forward.

Here's the trick! Getting those two screws out can be a real booger! An impact driver is recommended. Failing that, the proper sized tip on a large handled phillips screwdriver will be of great use here. If all else fails, whip out a Dremel and grind the heads off of the screws.

The only reason those screws exist are to keep the hump from easily being pulled out of the seat. Everything works just fine if they some how come up missing.

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tain't workin' . . .

OK - the only screws I saw that were remotly close to the hump were easily seen and removed. I removed said screws and when I tried to remove the hump all it did was sould like it was hitting bottom on something (no pun intended).

I never saw any screws that were visable only when the hump was in the rear position.

What next? I had to put the hump all the way to the front to get the two screw holds to show up so I could reattach the screws - hump slides fine but that's not my desire - I want to do a humpectomy.

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
screws

OK - I took out the two in the immediate vicinity of the trunk light. Those are the only two screws near the rails.

·
Registered
13,226 Posts
See the screws in this pic? That's NOT the correct ones.

http://tfic.com/gallery/main.php/v/Burg ... 5.jpg.html

Above the right screw that is visible and just below the notch in the plastic for the wiring, you can see a recessed hole for the screw. There is a matching one on the other side. The screws are only visible when the buttrest is all the way back. Remove both screws and slide the buttrest forward and will come out the front of the seat.

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
still ain't happenin'

Bill,

Thanks. Found the screws - got the left one out (boy, talk about a short fastener!). Tried and tried to get the right one out - felt it turning but I'm wondering if it was stripped or something because no matter how much I turned it, the bugger would not come out. The head was rotating but it was not disengaging from the threads. :x

At this poing I'm just going to leave it alone - no use messing up something when I probably won't be able to fix it. Maybe if I break down and take it in for valves (may get my beautiful and talented assistent - aka wife - to help me give it a go as soon as I can find acceptable feeler gages and the weather cools off) I'll have the shop work on it - that way, if they break it - they can fix it.

Thanks again to all for the help.

·
Registered
13,226 Posts
Well known problem on the right screw. Many 400's had the same issue with the right screw including mine. Some were able to get a little screwdriver under the head and get it started. I had a shop grind the head off mine.

The screws only function is to keep the backrest from sliding out the front. Once you have them out, you can just toss them into the garbage.

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Buttrest out - now what . . .

OK - finally got the right screw ground down (can you say PITA).

Buttrest is now safely in my garage - but how's the best way to plug the two holes that are in the seat? I'm concerned about water getting into the trunk. I can silicone like crazy, but would rather have a better plan than that. :?

If plugs are available, can someone give me dimensions, place to purchase, part number, etc.?

Thanks - off for a test ride. :)

Worse case scenerio - put it back and "loose" the remaining screw.

I feel like a swamp cooler today - sigh. :cry:

·
Premium Member
4,501 Posts
Try the parts bins at Lowes/Home Depot for plugs. The bins where they have all kinds of odd-ball fittings & screws & mirror clips & cotter-pins & plastic knobs & set-screws & fender washers....... I think someone was able to find some plugs in the plumbing dept. that were for a sink-top.
Just paint them black & use a little bead of RTV sealer around the edge.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thanks, Your a big help, I FOUND them. Little dudes where right there. Sometimes can't see the forest for the trees.

Big Help thanks

·
Premium Member
4,501 Posts
bbracy said:
Thanks, Your a big help, I FOUND them. Little dudes where right there. Sometimes can't see the forest for the trees.

Big Help thanks
Well, unfortunately, Lowes/Home Depot has neglected to label the
parts drawers Seat Plugs/ Motor Scooter Seats, so we just search
them out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Tain't workin' . . . OK - the only screws I saw that were remotly close to the hump were easily seen and removed. I removed said screws and when I tried to remove the hump all it did was sould like it was hitting bottom on something (no pun intended). I never saw any screws that were visable only when the hump was in the rear position. What next? I had to put the hump all the way to the front to get the two screw holds to show up so I could reattach the screws - hump slides fine but that's not my desire - I want to do a humpectomy.
Great instructions. I couldn't find the tiny screws, until I read this post .. 10 / 10..👍

1 - 15 of 15 Posts