Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My 650 Burgman is fitted with a Autocom intercom which is hard wired to the bikes electrics, when the engine is running I get a fast ticking noise through it. Also last night I was riding the bike and noticed that the lights flicker slightly too, although it did stabilise a little when the brake lights lit up! My thoughts having seen how the lights are behaving is that it could be regulator/rectifier, does anyone think differently.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I would expect power supply noise (i.e. from the rectifier) would more likely manifest as a buzzing note. Ticking, meaning short high frequency impulse noise, is more probably interference from the ignition. You might try: routing your supply wires differently, mounting your intercom differently. Are you running both supply wires from the electric module. As opposed to running a ground wire to the frame.

As a side note - ignition noise will occur at the RPM value, alternator noise should occur at a somewhat higher frequency that is a multiple of the rpm.

In any case, if you have a good solid ground connection then you are pretty much relegated to relocating wiring and/or intercom device to find that spot on your scooter that doesn't cause the sound.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
A fast ticking noise could point to a slightly underpowered relay, ie. it's coil is trying to operate at under 12 volts. Does your Autocom use a relay?

·
Registered
132 Posts
With the light flicker issue hook a volt meter up to battery with engine
running. You should have 13.8 volts and above , meaning charging system
working . also with meter still hooked up bring Rpm up a bit you should see voltage increase ,

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
A weak battery will not be able to absorb charge and will make the regulator work harder to keep the voltage down.

What is the battery's idle voltage?

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I know on a car if you get a ticking noise on a radio resistor plugs would cure the problems. On the Burgman?:dontknow:Maybe.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Where did you site your Autocom Joe?

Mine is under seat (in lieu of tool roll) no interference experienced.

Were you registered on this forum before?

·
Registered
243 Posts
I have the older Autocom on mine. What you are hearing is the plugs firing. Autocom has an accessory called the isolated stereo music lead part #4004 that will fix this.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I checked the battery this afternoon, without the engine running the voltage is 12.68, with the engine running its 13.7 but it fluctuates constantly by about 0.4 volts. Has any one tried a regulator that's made by a company called Electrosport. Norman I haven't been registered on the site before, I to also have my autocom mounted on the tool tray.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
I checked the battery this afternoon, without the engine running the voltage is 12.68, with the engine running its 13.7 but it fluctuates constantly by about 0.4 volts. Has any one tried a regulator that's made by a company called Electrosport. Norman I haven't been registered on the site before, I to also have my autocom mounted on the tool tray.
MOSFET upgrade.
http://www.roadstercycle.com/

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Do test the battery first.

The regulator needs a good battery to work proper.
A worn out battery will jump to fully charged voltage in an instant and drop as fast back to a much lover voltage when the regulator cuts the charge. This will repat ind an endless cycle, and could go into resonance.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts