Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My family's friend is part owner of a Honda dealership and they shot my father, a long time Helix owner, an offer that might be very difficult to turn down.

My father has a Helix with over 20K miles on the clock, and is looking a bit rough but runs good nontheless. The dealership has a screamin' yellow 2003 Reflex that has never been titled and is brand new, factory warranty, and ready to go. They said $2000 and his Helix and it's his.

But what to do, what to do? The Helix and Reflex sites are no help. The helix site says the Helix is better, accelerates better, better MPG, more comfortable.

The Reflex site says that the reflex has a better trunk, more in dash storage, handles better, higher top speed, and will accelerate with a Helix as long as it has the "K-MOD" done, whatever that is.

Since this site has a whole lot of folks that have ridden both, I put the question to you. Generally, which one do you like better and why?

And for my own curiosity, just how much better does a Helix accelerate than a Reflex?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

On a sidenote, my parents live in the middle of nowhere and the family friend that is part owner of the dealership drives an hour to work there. My parents live less than 5 minutes away from his house and he can take it there to get his "dealer" service done. Because of this, owning a Suzuki, at least to him isn't in the cards. I cannot honestly disagree with him on this though I don honestly feel the B400 is a better machine in every way.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
I cant comment on which is better because I've ridden neither.

But first I ask is this. Is your father racing his scooter? Does the small difference in acceleration really going to effect him. He has 20,000 miles on it , correct! How long before he has to start making repairs or replacements due to worn parts. With shop rates what they are I would definetely trade in for a brand new ride for only 2 grand. Thats only my opinion and I guess its easier since it's not my money.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
I know we have 1 (or more) member that have owned both. Maybe Roy Ryall might chime in since he's owned both.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
I have not owned a Reflex. I have looked into the Helix vs Reflex comparisons. I decided the Helix was the best choice due to comfort from what I learned talking to other people and my experience with the SW (similar seat). The Helix is easy and simple to work on.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, my father and mother took the Reflex out today on a test ride. I provided them all of the feedback that I had received from you all, both in this thread and privately and I thank you for that.

He did say it didn't seem like it had little if any performance benefit and he NEEDS the windshield upgrade right away. But he also said he liked the way it rode and the seat was ok (he rode an hour and a half home). He also said it handled better than the Helix. He also LOVES the way it looks.

I ordered him the Givi windshield and backrest. He's all happy now!!!

Thanks again!!

·
Registered
428 Posts
I know I'm Johnny Come Lately here but I've owned both bikes and my 2 cents is that:

The helix has a more "cushy" ride but not as stable at wot.
I actually prefer the Helix style. Old skool and dorky looking. I like that.
Breaks and wind protection are better on the Reflex.
"Character traits" common to many Reflex's are squeeky front breaks and a battery that will die in a matter of minutes if even the underseat light is left on.

The so-called Kmod is a modification to the CVT that originated in Japan shortly after the model was introduced there in '00 and, uhm, "invented" here in the US by a guy in Santa Cruz, CA two years later when it was made available here. His name is Bruce Koehler, hence his self-proclaimed Kmod which is simply the removal of the two first stage variator rollers. The result is to eliminate the acceleration "flat spot" between 30 and 40 mph, a flat spot that I never detected on my unit. I also couldn't detect more than a mild difference between a stock or a Kmoded Reflex, although many Reflex Yahoo Groupers swear the mod turns the 250 into a fire breathing Gixxer in sheeps clothing. Either way, it's a zero dollar mod that can be done and undone in a matter of hours.

Cheers.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I went to my parents today and got to ride the Burgman 400 (mine) and his new Reflex back to back. I remember back when I got my Burgman the first thing I noticed when I went from the Helix to the Burgam 400 was a bit of engine vibe through the whole bike. Well, going to the Reflex, the first thing I noticed was the absence of the vibe. It made the whole bike feel smoother at low speed than my Burgman 400.

I didn't notice any flat spot anywhere. I had my GPS with me, the speedo seemed to read about two to three MPH high @ 60 MPH. Oh, and for what it's worth, the Burgman reads allmost 5mph high @ 60MPH.

When accessing the trunk, the seat will not stay open if the bike is on sidestand. I love the screaming yellow color he got, bike looks fast even when sitting still. Overall, I really like it a lot better than the Helix.

But the Helix has not been updated for 20 years. The Reflex should be better. In fact, it should be a WHOLE lot better than it is since Honda had a 20 year jump on everyone else.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.