Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

· Premium Member
8,539 Posts
if it ain't too late, maybe you could post the type/size of the incorrect/faulty bearing? I would post mine, but the neighbor gets all bent when I go walkin around his yard lookin for my "spare parts". Funny. he din't mind before I started collectin butterflies.

· Registered
2007 Burgman 650 Executive
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
L
Le dude to the rescue. Bearing sizes are on this thread and the dust seals should be flush with the hub. (y)
Much obliged! Cheers.

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Just an update. The wheel has been stripped, the bearings are the correct size the red herring was that the rhs grease seal had not been seated fully, not that the bearings were too big. They were fully installed and looked quite new, both sides of the bearing sealed.
The spacers are/ were the correct spec and the wheel properly engaged on the drive unit. Can you guess where this is going?
A 'friend of a friend' has a 2008 Burgy 650......helpfully, we pulled his rear wheel (needs a new tyre, anyway) I mounted his wheel on my bike....same issue. Measured his swingarm across the wheel axis with the wheel removed...mine is 7/8 mm narrower.
So, my rhs swingarm has bent. I can imagine the Spanish guy who last 'worked' on the rear changing the bearings or similar, ( without fully installing the seal) just boxing it all up and banging the axle nut up with an airgun......with only one spacer probably installed or something. There's enough thread on the axle shaft to allow the rhs swingarm to travel that far without ( say) the smaller spacer inserted. He then probably realised his mistake when he ran out of thread and got his mate with a 7 foot bar to lever the swingarm back and installed the second spacer.
Alloys are normally 'memory' metal and the swingarm is 'ribbed' at the bends so the damage was done, hence why the swingarm 'snapped shut' when I drove out the shorter spacer.
There's no cracks, no impacts, so that's what has probably happened. Whatever.....the thing has bent.
The axle nut was hugely overtightened as found in any case, so the new SKF bearings are on their way.
So ,either repeat the 7 foot bar process on a 16 year old alloy assembly that's been bent in the opposite direction already and is putting high clamping force on the assembly...( no thanks, I will always know its not right anyway) or try and straighten the swingarm ( again, it's going to be impossible to get that right).
Possibly have the small wheel spacer and caliper mounting ( the one with the caliper Sliders on) professionally machined in proportion to give the brake caliper set up the correct location on the wheel / disc / swingarm mountings, the actually wheel/ tyre geometry will still be okay, it's just the caliper mounting and spacer.... or change the rhs swingarm.
Sod it!

Thank you all in any case.

· Premium Member
8,539 Posts
thanks for posting the answer, may many freshly unconstipated hounds visit the p.o.'s flower bed on the day his mother in law visits!

• Haha
Reactions: Lurchio

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·

· Administrator
16,975 Posts
The 2002 through 2008 AN650's are the same shape right hand swing arm. The 2009 and newer went to a different curve called 'Banana'. So the Banana sing arm moved the brake caliper.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts