Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Burgman 400 - Silver - 8600 miles - and climbing !
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all:

Woo- hoo just got my 2 new tires mounted today !

Can't wait to ride BUT refitting this front wheel is a bear....does fender removal help ?

Any tips are appreciated !

I'm by myself so it's a Solo effort...

Thx David

·
Administrator
23,299 Posts
You can try putting a sissor jack under the front frame and jack it up til the rear tire touches the ground. If you do this use extreme care not to knock the bike over.
The front wheel should then slide under the fender.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can try putting a sissor jack under the front frame and jack it up til the rear tire touches the ground. If you do this use extreme care not to knock the bike over.
The front wheel should then slide under the fender.
Whew, got it that helped Thx Dave

Also it helped to take loose the cable holders for speed sensor....the slack allowed attaching it to hub.

Getting that DS spacer in was tricky too.

But she rides great the new rubber imparts a whole new feel.

David

·
Administrator
23,299 Posts
I keep forgetting yours is a 2006 and the Speed Sensor is on the front wheel hub. They are fragile and crack at times. Members have glued them back together.

·
Premium Member
14,472 Posts
I would recommend that you take the speed sensor off, gently pry the seal out, remove the rotor, clean and regrease it then assemble it back and reinstall it. Over time the grease in the sensor dries up and hardens. Then the rotor binds and breaks. As Dave said you may be able to glue it back together but using preventive measures of cleaning and regreasing it everytime you replace the front tire can prevent it from breaking in the first place. I use a good quality wheel bearing grease on mine.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would recommend that you take the speed sensor off, gently pry the seal out, remove the rotor, clean and regrease it then assemble it back and reinstall it. Over time the grease in the sensor dries up and hardens. Then the rotor binds and breaks. As Dave said you may be able to glue it back together but using preventive measures of cleaning and regreasing it everytime you replace the front tire can prevent it from breaking in the first place. I use a good quality wheel bearing grease on mine.
It's all done so too late for "this time", but will bear your suggestion in mind for future tire changes.

TY - David

·
Registered
2003 Suzuki Burgman 400
63 Posts
I just did this yesterday by myself and here is my method. Put the bike on the center stand, of course, and then remove the underbelly pan. Now that you can see the Frame underneath you can position a floor jack under the forward most crossmember and use it to jack the front end up. Once you have it up you can now position the wheel and then very carefully and slowly use the relief screw on the jack to lower the forks into position around the wheel. I had the speedometer coupling in place while doing this, tape in place if you need to, and then I was able to snake the left side spacer into place before installing the Axle Shaft. Hope this helps or at least gives you a tip for next time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts