Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I have what seems to me, a serious problem with my K7-650.
Under certain conditions, it overheats bigtime. I recently rode from Norway to Italy and back, about 5000 km. 4 or 5 times, it overheated, the warning light went on, and of course, i had to stop immediately.
Temperatures over 30 degrees Celsius, heavy load , low speed / idle, and riding over high mountains in the Alps, all make my Burgie hot and bothered :twisted:
I had the bike serviced before my trip to Italy, so it should be ok, the engine coolant was replaced. The fan is also working the way it should.
The hoses seem fine to me, don't see any leaks. There is, however, some dirt between the fins of the radiator.
So, it's very weird i think. I live in Norway, a cold country, and these bikes are very popular in Southern Europe where the climate is much hotter, so they should be able to stand the heat.
I'm actually considering replacing the radiator, but that is quite expensive.
I had the same problem some years ago, but i've never had problems after changing the engine coolant before a long trip.
It's very frustrating, because i'm so pleased with the bike otherwise.
Any ideas ?

·
Registered
243 Posts
First, clean the dirt out and straighten any bent fins. Then check the hoses to the overflow bottle. If there are any issues there, then you probably have air in the system. It's been over 35C here and I've had no overheating.

·
Administrator
18,744 Posts
It sounds like you have trapped air in the cooling system. There is a topic in the factory service manual on how to "BURP" the cooling system and they may not had followed it. Its pages 2-20 and 2-21. I had this problem once.

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
you can easily take the radiator out and clean it and service it if you suspect a build up of grime on the fins.

if you have fresh coolant in it then it could be a thermostat problem or some other flow issue within the system, you will have to do a bit of diagnosis and go through a step of elimination process so to speak to find the source.

here is the cooling diagram on the 650

I would start by checking the thermostat, the coolant temp sensor and the cooling fan thermo switch.

hopefully it's not a mechanical issue, the water pump could be the last culprit.

good luck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts