Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today, I took a recon ride in search of a replacement for my beloved Gold Wing. At age 73, I know a lighter bike is inevitable. I've known this for at least two years.

First stop was my favorite Honda dealer. He, the owner, is seriously considering a Suzuki franchise, which could happen in less than 60 days. He admitted that the Suzuki Burgman 650 has blown the Silverwing away in maxi scooter enhancements, etc. He will be attending a Suzuki dealer conference next week.

The next stop was a Honda/Suzuki dealership about 50 miles from me. The salesman there was extremely knowledgable on the Burgman's, but had sold his last, a 400 and a 650 last week. He didn't expect any more until the 2016's are introduced next year.

It now looks like I will be making the switch to a maxi scooter next Spring. One good point is that my favorite Honda shop has offered to sell my Gold Wing on consignment. I'll do that soon if I find a scooter to get me by until next Spring.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
One comment I've heard many times when MC riders switch to Maxi scooters is, "Why didn't I do this sooner?". Lots of much cheaper used Burgmans out there. Go get yourself one.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have you ridden the 650 yet? I think you'll love it. I can't imagine life without one now ;-)
Yes, I've ridden a couple of Burgman 650's. Yesterday, test rode a 05 Standard Burgman 650, 13,000 miles. The Burgman was superb in every way, smoothness, handling characteristics, etc. That Burgman was traded in on a new Indian Scout.

The price was reasonable too, $3400, but wasn't tempted, since I'm a firm believer in ABS brakes on touring bikes/scooters.

Yes, I did "love the Burgman". In reality, I'll probably wait until Spring, but maybe not!:)

·
Registered
469 Posts
Goldwing replacement

Been riding since 1960 and I have had, among many other bikes, three Goldwings and find that my 2013 Burgman 650 is a good replacement. With a Givi 52 liter top box, a seat bag, tunnel cooler bag and the underseat storage, luggage capacity is usually more than sufficient......power is more than adequate for any sort of riding, ABS brakes are good and there is no vibration....engine heat is a non existent.....wind/weather protection is very good (Givi +4 shield) and the weight is at least 300 pounds less than the GW......fuel consumption is 50-55 on the Interstate using 87 RON gasoline and better than that on two-lane roads where I prefer to spend most of my riding time....maintenance is simple and easy to do at home...headlight is superb.......would recommend a 2013 or later model for the the upgrades......good luck!

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Been riding since 1960 and I have had, among many other bikes, three Goldwings and find that my 2013 Burgman 650 is a good replacement. With a Givi 52 liter top box, a seat bag, tunnel cooler bag and the underseat storage, luggage capacity is usually more than sufficient......power is more than adequate for any sort of riding, ABS brakes are good and there is no vibration....engine heat is a non existent.....wind/weather protection is very good (Givi +4 shield) and the weight is at least 300 pounds less than the GW......fuel consumption is 50-55 on the Interstate using 87 RON gasoline and better than that on two-lane roads where I prefer to spend most of my riding time....maintenance is simple and easy to do at home...headlight is superb.......would recommend a 2013 or later model for the the upgrades......good luck!
Thanks. I've been riding since 1956, age 14. Started out on a 1952 Cushman, then moved up to a new 1958 Allstate Crusaire. My love affair with two wheels started with scooters, so going back to a scooter will be like the beginning of a second childhood.;)

Yes, I'll not settle for anything older than a 2013. No doubt, I'll get a new Burgman 650. However, I may possibly buy something to get me by while the Honda dealer is selling my Wing, then wait and see what the 2016 Burgman 650 has to offer. One Suzuki sales manager said they should have information on the 16's next month.

In reality, I'm in no big hurry, since I love my Gold Wing, but nothing is forever! The weight is becoming an issue.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts