Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have just purchased a 2003 Burgman 400 and want to transport it behind a motorhome on a small trailer. Does anyone have experience and recommendations on where the tie down points on the scooter should be to avoid any damage? Thanks for your recommendations.;)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Tie Downs

We have just purchased a 2003 Burgman 400 and want to transport it behind a motorhome on a small trailer. Does anyone have experience and recommendations on where the tie down points on the scooter should be to avoid any damage? Thanks for your recommendations.;)
When I transport my bike I use a self locking front wheel bike chock as well as Canyon Dancer tie downs on the handle bars along with soft tie straps and foam on the rear passenger hand rails using ratchet straps anchored to floor mounted D Rings. Instead of the Canyon Dancer straps on the grips you could use soft ties on each of the front forks. Be sure not to crank the ratchet straps too much on the front because it could compress your forks too much and rupture your fork seals. Get someone to sit on the bike, tighten the straps and when the weight leaves the bike your straps will still be taut and your seals should be ok.

It is very important not to leave any loose strap ends flapping in the wind to prevent paint damage.

In my trailer I angle the tie downs back for the front of the bike and forward for the rear of the bike. If you want to put an extra strap across the seat it doesn't hurt.

Be sure to do a quick check every time you stop for peace of mind. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Northstar1951. This looks and sounds like a well thought out plan. I have a swivel wheel trailer on order to prevent jack knife and as soon as it arrives I will put your recommendations to the test. Thanks for the advice...

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
Your 400 is different from Northstar1951's 650 and you tie it down differently.

On your 400 look right above the rear wheel behind the bodywork on each side. You should find loops welded to the frame. Those loops are to use as rear tie down points. On my 400 I use those as the main tie down points. They will secure the bike and keep it from moving around or falling over when used in conjunction with a front wheel chock. I tie the wheel to the chock with a strap to ensure it cannot come out. If I want a little more security I run straps from the front forks to the trailer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Buffalo, Thank you for that observation about different model. I will look for those loops welded behind the bodywork. That makes me feel more secure knowing there are solid points on the frame for the tie down. I agree with you and will likely tie down the front wheel to the chock and also run straps on each of the front forks to the trailer. I appreciate the advice. Thanks...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Buffalo,
I look over the rear wheel and I can't find anything that looks like welded loops that I could hook a tie down on. Nothing up there but a plastic wheel well above the tire. Is there somewhere I am not looking. I would appreciate any add'l insight you can provide. Thanks...

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
My 2006 has them. If you get down and look straight at your license plate they are just to the right and left, at least vision wise{they are physically further forward}. The one on the left side is right next to the rear suspension adjustment knob.

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
You know come to think of it I seem to remember reading a post on here once upon a time that said the 2003 models did not have the tie down points like the 2004 - 2006 models. I'll try to do some searches and see if I can confirm that.

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
Looks like the tie down loops were added on the 2005 model. So that leaves you with having to use a strap across the seat or straps on the passenger grab rails on the back like Northstar1951 described using on his 650. Personally I don't like either of those methods and don't use them on my 650. I tie the back down from the shock mounts. You can't do that on your 400 though as it has a monoshock instead of twin shocks like on the 650.

·
Premium Member
14,516 Posts
Be careful with the Canyon Dancer....
you can very easily bend the handlebars...
several riders on this website have bent theirs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Darn. I was hoping they were there and I was just missing them. I will have to use soft ties and ratchet straps and also I think I will run one on each wheel too. I will have to just keep working with this till I get a safe arrangement. If anyone else comes up with a suggestion I will keep an eye out on this post. Thanks to all...

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
You could add rings, either have them welded on or drill holes and run bolts through the frame tube. Either way would take some work but it could be done. Since you are wanting to use it as a tag-along it may be totally worth the expense.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Got the trailer and looks like I need to invest in chock for trailer so will also look to difference options for tie down on bike and trailer. Thank you all for your suggestions. We'll see how it works out...

·
Premium Member
14,516 Posts
The trailer I have to haul my 400 is the same trailer
folks use to haul a riding lawn mower...a 5 X 8 footer.
I uise a cam-lock web strap to lash the front wheel
to the front rail, some soft-ties on the handle-grips
for additional balance, but the ratchet straps
on the rear frame to the side rails, are my primary
tie-down points. Been all over the country with
this arrangement, with no problems.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts