Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just taking my '07 Burgman 650 out of storage in preparation for a trip. It's been in a storage unit for about three years.

At the minimum I was going to have the following performed:

• Oil change
  • Gas Line inspection
  • tires
  • battery
  • Some plastics that need replacing
What I'm wondering is:

1. whether it's safe to start and ride to service,
  2. if I should get it towed instead
  3. if three years in storage without being started means I've done irreparable damage to the bike.
Oh, the reason it's been in storage that long is I moved from NH to California and could not bring it with me when I moved. I'm out here now to get it fixed and bring it where it can be ridden all year.

thanks

BH

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
If it's going to the dealer any way just have them pick it up , my dealer will send a guy and a trailer when ever I ask and at no extra charge .

You did get drain the gas tank before storing didn't you ?

TheReaper!

·
Registered
438 Posts
I'm just taking my '07 Burgman 650 out of storage in preparation for a trip. It's been in a storage unit for about three years.

At the minimum I was going to have the following performed:

• Oil change
  • Gas Line inspection
  • tires
  • battery
  • Some plastics that need replacing
Yes to all of the above. You don't say how many miles on the bike. It may make a difference.

While you're looking at the tires, ask yourself how many miles are on the brakes? Might as well make sure the pads are good, while you're there.

The battery is straightforward. If it holds a charge, good, otherwise a new one is in order.Drain the gas tank, if necessary and start with fresh fuel. Don't forget the radiator. Drain it and replace the coolant.

Once you get it running, let it warm up, add a can of Seafoam and go for a ride around the block. That stuff works wonders at cleaning the accumulated crud from the fuel system after a bike has been stored.

That is all pretty straightforward (routine) maintenance. You may not need a dealer. Consult LeDude's page on how to do these operations. It isn't hard if you have tools.

What I'm wondering is:

1. whether it's safe to start and ride to service,
  2. if I should get it towed instead
  3. if three years in storage without being started means I've done irreparable damage to the bike.
BH
If you go over the bike and the battery is sound, you probably don't need to see a dealer. If it starts, ride it and don't worry about it.

Regards
Scott Fraser

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Just ride it - 3 years sitting idle is **** all for a modern piece of machinery.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Excellent. I've decided to drain the fuel and change the oil & coolant myself, ride it around a bit before the long trip. I'm hearing a lot of what farqhuarforever said, that 3 years isn't really bad.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
I would replace the following on it:

- engine oil
- transmission oil
- final drive oil
- brake fluid front and rear
- coolant
- spark plugs
- new battery

- siphon out gas and ad fresh batch

- check tires for rot
- clean air filter or replace with a new one

good luck

·
Registered
1,204 Posts

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Check the fork seals for leaks. Mine dried out and started leaking after sitting parked for a couple of years.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts