Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any recommendations on breakin procedures? Just bought a 400 for my wife and I'm unsure how to break in a scooter like this. The bike will need to go faster than 4000 rpm listed so I'm guessing that's a guideline. Do I just make sure we don't keep it at a constant speed and don't run it up (faster than 4000 rpm) for too long a time while it's breaking in? Any experience is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Welcome Tom - your wife is a lucky lady! Do you also have a motorcycle?
Feel free to introduce yourselves in the where u from topic!
Lots and lots of good advice here. I used the break in guideline as just that - a guideline - of course I ventured out of the "range" every once and a while... I had to.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I first roll off the throttle gently and let the engine breaking do most of the work. Then I use two fingers, index and middle, to pull in the break levers.
Pulling on them gently and repeatedly so as not to come to a sudden stop or lock up.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
ABQ said:
I first roll off the throttle gently and let the engine breaking do most of the work. Then I use two fingers, index and middle, to pull in the break levers.
Pulling on them gently and repeatedly so as not to come to a sudden stop or lock up.
Good tip, ABQ, but he asked about "break-in" not "braking."

Remember:

Suzuki Burgman: Engine brakes.
Harley Davidson: Engine breaks.

Suzuki Burgman: Brake levers.
Too much force: Break levers.

:D

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Welcome to the BurgmanUSA forums Tom . Glad to have you join us and be sure to pass an invitation along to your wife to join the forum too. Congratulations on the new Burgman 400.

There are 2 schools of thought about break in, follow the manufacturer guidelines (baby it) and ride it like you stole it. Both agree it's important that you vary the RPMs during the break in period.

Here's one (of several) thread on break in :

http://burgmanusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=38

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Tom , welcome,
What you said seems to hit the nail on the head.
Personally I think the first service is more important then breaking in procedure.
Kind of like -Ride it like you stole it, buy intend to keep it. :lol:

·
Registered
497 Posts
Breakin/brakin' .... for those of us that speak 'Texas Queens English'
it's tomato/tomahto or nuclear/nucular :lol:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Breaking in...

Just a quick note to say thanks to everyone who gave me some input. Drove my wife's 400 home for her and I varied the rpm's as suggested and had a blast riding it. I love to ride so I guess it could be a skateboard with a motor and I'd have fun but I was impressed with the Burgman. It is great to have this site and to learn from all of you. For us, the learning is just begining. Thanks to all!

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
ABQ said:
Breakin/brakin' .... for those of us that speak 'Texas Queens English'
it's tomato/tomahto or nuclear/nucular :lol:
Texas Queens? Do they wear high heel boots? :joker:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts