Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So it's looking like the Givi hard case E22N Monokey side cases are what will fit my 2013 650 Burg best that I have seen from them.

But the problem is in order to mount them the hardware requires that you take the passenger seat back off.

What companies make the mounting hardware that will fit my Burg that I don't have to take the seat back off?

Plus what other side saddlebags are good recommendations for my new Burg?

Ross

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Not understand, why take seat off ? Once install, top case become permanent, not take off every time unless you wish snap in or off base simply done via key unlock and push in button in 10 second and left with mount plate only until you snap top case back on.

The GIVI 22 litre hard side case mount to side rack you install, then snap in or off like top case as you need, this take 10 second per case.

No one else presently make any other bracket or hardware for 650, like most bike now more and more these are bike specific.

You can purchase soft side saddle bag from GIVI, Nelson-Rigg, Oxford and other that connect via Velcro strap if you do not want top case.

·
Registered
677 Posts
What companies make the mounting hardware that will fit my Burg that I don't have to take the seat back off?

Plus what other side saddlebags are good recommendations for my new Burg?
If you want hard saddlebags, see Kiwi Dave, of course.

Personally, when I go for saddlebags, I am sure they will be soft. I had a nice set back in my youthful riding days (early 1980s, on a '80 Honda CM400T) with a matching tank bag. I figure I can keep a set of soft saddlebags in a top box, get them out when needed.

(A tank bag on a regular motorcycle is very nice, BTW. It makes the bike almost as nice as a Burgman. But unlike the Burgman, you can't leave your stuff in the bike, you have to detach and carry the tank bag. So it will be with soft saddlebags.)

I'm also going to get a tunnel bag, and lose my step-through luxury, at least on longer trips. Like a tank bag, it's good to have a place to put a paper map, and be able to see it as you need. No electronic device can ever completely replace paper maps.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Kiwi Dave do not make anything ''YET'' for 2013-2014 650, perhaps it will come, present kit only fit 2002-2012 650 .

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not understand, why take seat off ? Once install, top case become permanent, not take off every time unless you wish snap in or off base simply done via key unlock and push in button in 10 second and left with mount plate only until you snap top case back on.

The GIVI 22 litre hard side case mount to side rack you install, then snap in or off like top case as you need, this take 10 second per case.

No one else presently make any other bracket or hardware for 650, like most bike now more and more these are bike specific.

You can purchase soft side saddle bag from GIVI, Nelson-Rigg, Oxford and other that connect via Velcro strap if you do not want top case.
In order to put the GIVI hard cases on the side of the Burg the GIVI mount requires that you remove the seat back for the passenger because it mounts to the three stock screw holes that the seat back uses. I don't want to do that.

I even had the online chat with a GIVI representative and they even said you have to remove the passenger seatback.

I have seen but don't remember who does it that there are several "external" to the US, companies that make mounts that don't require you to have to remove the passenger seat back.

While I am very good at welding (I used to make bicycle frames for TREK USA) I don't want to buy the mount kit and then try to "cobble" something together so that I don't have to take it off.

Ross

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
In order to put the GIVI hard cases on the side of the Burg the GIVI mount requires that you remove the seat back for the passenger because it mounts to the three stock screw holes that the seat back uses. I don't want to do that.

I even had the online chat with a GIVI representative and they even said you have to remove the passenger seatback.

I have seen but don't remember who does it that there are several "external" to the US, companies that make mounts that don't require you to have to remove the passenger seat back.

While I am very good at welding (I used to make bicycle frames for TREK USA) I don't want to buy the mount kit and then try to "cobble" something together so that I don't have to take it off.

Ross
For 2002 - 2012 650 model exist Kiwi Dave, Fehling, Mueller and one or two more maker of side case rack that forget name of, for 2013, 2014 Kiwi Dave have not yet design anything, Fehling claim they not make any longer for the 650, EOS Racing (quality ???)and Mueller was hand made by machinist or mechanical technicien in Germany with limited production and with special order only with delivery after payment receive.

Passenger grab handle on 2013 - 2014 650 place significantly further back now than on previous model 650, which probably why GIVI and Suzuki work together to develop present GIVI & Suzuki offering which connect to top case base for extra support of weight security and safety. Not know of anyone presently other than GIVI who make anything, Kiwi Dave not commit to anything for 2013 - 2014 so far, perhap it come later.

Side case rack for 2013 - 2014 650 Burgman is very limited market and sale potential, so probably not many interested in manufacturing this.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok so that would explain it then. This is my first Burg (2013 model) so I didn't know about any different features (or modifications) from previous years models.

So looks like I will be taking the piece off and replacing it with a top case then.

Ross

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
WIth a 55 litre top case you've got 110-115 litres of space without any sidebags.
Now you figure a Wing has 147 litres WITH sidebags.
Now add a tunnel bag on the Burgman and you are up to 140 litres still with no side bags.

I'd get used to the Burgman stock but with a good top case first....then if you need more over time (most overpack to begin with ) consider it down the road.

The Maxia 55 is very nice

·
Registered
19 Posts
I posted pictures of the givi install on a 2013. I have two 2013 with both the top cases and side cases, brake lights, back rests, etc. All you do is pull the passenger back rest and install the givi brackets. The install is very easy and will take an hour or two to install the top and side cases. Feel free to contact me if you need further info or help. I really enjoy having the extra room on both bikes and would choose there setup again. Look up my pictures to see more details on the install.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
The 650 in white really beautiful when fully dress.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I too was hesitant

I too was hesitant to remove my passenger backrest. Although I have a 2012 Burgman and several products were available to me so just side racks I knew that I wanted to have a top case. I opted for the Givi E55 Maxia. It has an option to purchase a back rest pad for your 2nd rider. It's a great option and Givi makes a solid product to mount your top case.

Looking at the design for the new '13'-'14 Givi mounting system for side cases I think you would be well served to get both a top case and side cases.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well I went out and did it...

I ordered from the same place "Ace" did and got everything he got except the tank bag and the top case.

Me lady and I are getting all new gear next week also (jackets, pants, boots, and a helmet for her). So I had to hold off on acouple pieces of equipment this time around.

I also ordered everything from competetition accessories. They haven't said when the stuff will be here as I ordered it yesterday but in the next coming weeks I will be ordering the top case and I am still contemplating which top case to get.

So "Ace" when we gonna get the "Colorado" Burgman club going???

:D

Ross

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
So "Ace" when we gonna get the "Colorado" Burgman club going???

:D

Ross
Provided it is more than a Denver club and willing to include mid-state and western slope rides, I may be interested.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I wish I had more free time. I would love to get together and cruise around Colorado. We have such a great state and there is no better way to see it than on a bike. If you get down our way, feel free to drop in. We are in Monte Vista, Colorado.

As for the top case I went with this style as I felt it really matched the design of the stock tail lights. I think you will enjoy the extra room. I was pleased with the room the stock bike had, but boy it's nice to have so much more. By the time I throw my 3 year old on and rain gear, room starts to become a factor.

I think you will find the install is really easy and I really like the looks of the bike once it's dressed out. You do get a lot of people wondering what type of street bike it is when you pull up at places.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
If you get down our way, feel free to drop in. We are in Monte Vista, Colorado.
You 'bout going to the Travel Stops map and offering up your place for weary Burgmaneers?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts