Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay all you cold weather riding aficionados... I've decided to brave the winter without a car this year and have suited myself with a pretty good rain suit. Frog toggs work really well.

But I'm still getting wet hands and feet. My current gloves and boots aren't cutting it, but I don't want to buy new ones. So I thought some water proof shells would do nicely. Just a simple, inexpensive pair of galoshes and some outer rubber gloves will do nicely. I got size 12 shoes and XXL hands, so they gotta come big.

What to do you seasoned weather riders use? I'm in Los Angeles, so don't need artic exploration gear, just something to keep me dry. Links to amazon would be appreciated. :D

Also, I found my permanent GPS plug (mini usb) is getting rusted from the rain, any ideas how to keep ithe little bugger dry?

·
Registered
347 Posts
La Cross makes a 3 buckle and 5 buckle rubber over boot . I grew up with them and still have a pair. I think I paid about 40 bucks but that was back in the 90's Now I have a pair Red Wings they are around 200 dollars a pair.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
La Cross makes a 3 buckle and 5 buckle rubber over boot . I grew up with them and still have a pair. I think I paid about 40 bucks but that was back in the 90's Now I have a pair Red Wings they are around 200 dollars a pair.
I'm hoping to get both for $30. Our rain here tends to come in big spurts with weeks of dry in between. These are items I may wear less than a dozen times a year, so I don't need super high quality. Thanks though.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Liamjs,

I went to my local Home Depot (or Lowes) and got a small rubber cap that is designed to fit over the threaded ends of exposed bolts. They come in various diameter sizes. Fits firmly right over the exposed USB plug when not in use. Additionally, you can also add a very small amount of di-electric grease or vaseline to the USB plug to help minimize corrosion/rust.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I'm hoping to get both for $30. Our rain here tends to come in big spurts with weeks of dry in between. These are items I may wear less than a dozen times a year, so I don't need super high quality. Thanks though.
Ok, How about using freezer bags and rubber bands:D. Seriously, I could never understand why covering the hands and feet is just as, or more expensive than covering the arms and legs. No matter what kind of apparel you are buying.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
For my feet I use Treds ( www.treds.com ). Very Durable. Somewhat packable. I figure if they're good enough for hog farmers, they're good enough for my application. I have never had any water issues since using them. They are tall enough to allow the rain pants to over lap. About $40. You won't win any fashion awards. Your feet will be dry. I got the 12" motorcycle version.

For my hands, I have Alpinestar' Drystars. They're your basic windproof glove with a goretex (or similar) liner. I got them on sale 5 years ago for about $30.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
I like the Aerostitch Triple Digit rain covers for gloves. They've worked well for me in heavy rains.

For boots I just wear waterproof boots 24/7, used to be Oxtar (now TCS) Matrix model, now Alpine Stars Web Gore-Tex model. Both keep my feet dry (with a waterproof suit leg over them) and feel all-season okay for my feet. I could wish for venting on the very hottest days.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Fernando. I ordered the Firstgear boots. I liked the gloves too, but shipping was too steep. I look for them local if I can.

Good job guys!

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
No advice on boots, but a low-budget emergency set of waterproof gloves can be made by putting on a cheap pair of cloth gardening gloves that just barely fit, then, over them, putting the largest size rubber dish-washing gloves you can find. The nice part is that you can usually find both sets of gloves needed, at any grocery store, if you suddenly find yourself caught in rain without the option to wait it out.

They'll be absolutely waterproof, and they're usually in bright, cheerful colors that make hand-signals easy to see -- but which clash with almost any gear you already have.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts