Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep my 650 with sidecar under a tarp on the north side of a shed. This works well, as there is little exposure to sun or to storms.

I have used a gray plastic $15 tarp from Lowe's - 14 x 14 mesh and 10 mil - but the material breaks down within a year and leaks.

Is there something not too expensive that might hold up better?

Thanks in advance.

Dwight Gibb

·
Registered
199 Posts
I have used waxed canvas tarp to cover my 30ft boat and have found it to be perfect. Used the same tarp for winter storage year after year. waterproof and does not flap around like cheaper products. Cost is probably in the $50 range for the size you would need

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
I keep my 650 with sidecar under a tarp on the north side of a shed. This works well, as there is little exposure to sun or to storms.

I have used a gray plastic $15 tarp from Lowe's - 14 x 14 mesh and 10 mil - but the material breaks down within a year and leaks.

Is there something not too expensive that might hold up better?

Thanks in advance.

Dwight Gibb
Keeping your bike in a shed away from your house can be a problem varmint wise . Small mammals like to store food in all those nooks and crannies in openings like your CVT vent . You don't want to start your burg up with a CVT full of acorns . I bought a scooter with 300 miles on it that had sat for 4 or 5 years , the CVT was full and I mean full of what looked like bird seed . If my memory serves me , there was a guy here on the forum recently who destroyed his CVT with some acorns .

TheReaper!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So far I have recommendations for waxed canvas, for polyester canvas, and for vinyl coated polyester, and I would like to know more about the properties of the various types.

I appreciate the warnings about varmints. So far that has not been a problem with several different motorcycles stored this way. Perhaps it is because I commute with the bikes every week or so during our mild Seattle winters.

To date I have not seen mice jumping out of the motor when I start up. I have had that problem with a commercial lawn mower which I store indoors during the winter.

Thanks very much for the advice.

Dwight

1 - 4 of 4 Posts