Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just went from lower Alabama to Youngstown OH and back. Mostly on Interstates. 2008 AN400. Stock windscreen. 19g sliders.

To Greenville AL 64.7 mpg
Alabaster AL 65.5 Chevron
Rising Fawn GA 65.6 Shell
Oneida TN 72.3
Richmond KY 69.3
Barboursville WV 62.9
Cambridge OH 68.3
Hubbard OH 69.0
*The above with Mobil 1 15w-50. Nice weather

Massilon OH 71.5
Bloomingsburg OH 71.4
Louisville KY 71.4 Sunoco
White House TN 72.6
Warrior AL 72.5 Shell
Thomasville AL 80.0 Chevron
Fairhope AL 70.2 Chevron
*The above with Valvoline 10w-40 synthetic MC oil.
Return trip was mostly over 90 degrees! Sometimes 100.

I've owned this bike 10 years. First trip where I really pushed it all day. Between 5-6000+ rpms all day. No oil loss.
It seems that Chevron or Shell = higher mpg.
Also, the hotter the outside temp, the better it ran 馃檪

Registered
Chevron and Shell both add detergent additive to their "Tier-1" fuel, it does work at keeping your engine clean and is important. I've researched it extensively, used to use only the real deal, non-ethanol but that was mostly in boats and carbureted bikes. Now only Tier-1 fuels, pay a bit more but I feel the benefits are well worth it. I also notice different weight oils, possibly the correct weight motorcycle oil being a bit thinner also was a contributor to your milage success.
Interesting statistics, thanks for sharing. (y)

Registered
It would run great in Florida, I left at 5:00am this morning for a local ride and it was just shy of 90掳 and humid. Heat index will be over 100掳 again. Your bike should like that:)

Registered
Just went from lower Alabama to Youngstown OH and back. Mostly on Interstates. 2008 AN400. Stock windscreen. 19g sliders.

To Greenville AL 64.7 mpg
Alabaster AL 65.5 Chevron
Rising Fawn GA 65.6 Shell
Oneida TN 72.3
Richmond KY 69.3
Barboursville WV 62.9
Cambridge OH 68.3
Hubbard OH 69.0
*The above with Mobil 1 15w-50. Nice weather

Massilon OH 71.5
Bloomingsburg OH 71.4
Louisville KY 71.4 Sunoco
White House TN 72.6
Warrior AL 72.5 Shell
Thomasville AL 80.0 Chevron
Fairhope AL 70.2 Chevron
*The above with Valvoline 10w-40 synthetic MC oil.
Return trip was mostly over 90 degrees! Sometimes 100.

I've owned this bike 10 years. First trip where I really pushed it all day. Between 5-6000+ rpms all day. No oil loss.
It seems that Chevron or Shell = higher mpg.
Great mileage. How fast were you going? How large are you? Your mileage is about 10 MPG better than my 2008 Burgman 400.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Qualitatively, maybe 15w-50 Mobil 1 is a lot thicker, or somewhat thicker, than Valvoline 10w-40?

I've noticed that hot weather = better mpg.
Even temps in the 60's significantly reduce mpgs. 馃槓
If I rode it a lot, all year, I would look at a Warm Air Intake mod.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I kept it at 5-6000 rpm. That's about 65 to 75 I'm guessing.
I'm 5 ft 10 and 180 lbs. Had about 30 lbs. of gear.
It seems that you ride these 400 like you drive old Beetles. Let her rip down hills. Anticipate uphills early, roll on the throttle to coax her up.
The 30 hp requires attention to keep at speed.
About 10 more hp would make life easier I think.

Reactions: JRoss and Dave_J

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
BTW, I installed the stock screen for this trip. The extra ~5% Mpg seemed appealing, over my GIVI.
Almost lost my mind due to wind noise 馃槵

Reactions: JRoss

Registered
I鈥檇 say those are some respectable numbers.

Life average on my 2022 400 at 4100 miles is 60mpg (59.90). Typically varies from that +/- 5mpg. Country riding at 50mph on warms days seems to yield the best for me. At interstate speeds (60-70mph) and on colder days (

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Registered
2008 model AN400
Interesting in a few ways as in US gallons are quite a bit smaller than UK gallons...

So I'll start taking some notes over in the UK and see what I get on my 66 mile a day commute. Looking at those figures and with my riding style I should be getting close to 80-85mpg?
As far as I know I'm 5'7", 170lbs, usually ride in Bike jeans and armoured jacket, and carry about 3lb of kit.
Bike as far as I know is standard as sold y Suzuki so I'll be perusing these forums to see what long term owners are doing with their bikes regarding roller weights etc. Always liked Sliders in my previous Silverwings, so I'll probably go that route too.

Registered
Interesting in a few ways as in US gallons are quite a bit smaller than UK gallons...
I did not realize how much different. 1 UK Gallon = 1.2 US Gallon.

So here is an interesting question. When a Burgman is made for the UK Market, does the manufacture localize all its MPG and Miles to Empty calculations to use the UK Gallon size?. Hmmmm鈥

Registered
2008 model AN400
I did not realize how much different. 1 UK Gallon = 1.2 US Gallon.

So here is an interesting question. When a Burgman is made for the UK Market, does the manufacture localize all its MPG and Miles to Empty calculations to use the UK Gallon size?. Hmmmm鈥

No they use Litres to measure the volumes. In the UK I use a "Multiply Litres used by .22" to get UK gallons.

I think that is why the "mile per gallon" readout on mine is miles per litre if that makes sense?

Reactions: mbrun
1 - 11 of 11 Posts