Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK - finally bought a real leather jacket with armour from leatherup. The delivery was quick and the price seemed reasonable.

However, I took it to the FedEx center this afternoon and stuck it back in the mail. I ordered an XL which, from the size charts, should work. My textile jacket is a 52 and I have a cheap 2XL jacket that just hangs on me.

The jacket I got today I could barely get in to - it felt like it was made for a medium, not an extra large - I could barely zip it and yes, I know what size I am (I've also been suit shopping). I'm really miffed at the company right now because I kept asking customer service folks questions and they had no clue what they were talking about and assured me that it was the right size. I also read countless reviews on line trying to find ones with people my height and weight.

So, I'm out almost $20 to send it back and hope that the 3X I ordered will fit. I was so excited about getting this jacket before Christmas - it was a present to myself.

All I can saw is how disappointed I am with this company and whomever put such an assinine sizing chart together. Here is a link for the jacket I'm talking about: http://www.leatherup.com/p/Mens-Motorcycle-Jackets/Xelement-Mens-Premium-Buffalo-Leather-Motorcycle-Jacket-with-Protective-Removable-Level-3-Armor/53282.html

Maybe I'll get the replacement by the first week in January.

When I wrote customer service, all they did was respond with the same information that I can pull up from the FAQ. Not one bit of compassion. They claim their customer service center is in LA, but they act like it's somewhere in India, etc. - no individual bit of communication - just a canned response. Even if the exchanged jacket fits, I won't be recommending them anymore.

I'd like to find out who actually runs that company and let him/her know my unhappiness.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
I have two Jackets from Jafrum and they are both snug, even though I knew to order them one to two sizes larger. They seem to work for me. If I was going to do do business with them again I would order two or three sizes and send back the ones I that don't fit well. I think it's better to spend some shipping money than to be stuck with something that doesn't fit right or have to wait for the next delivery and hope that it works. They refund your money right quick.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What really steams me is whoever came up with that innane sizing chart and the fact the customer service doesn't really seem to give a rat's rear about interacting with folks. They said there're in LA, but they give the impression that you're dealing with an off-shore tech support company that can only read a script. Maybe that's how their company works and if so, that's so very sad.

I'd rather have the jacket too big than too small. I mean, I couldn't even get it on or off by myself.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
I don't know, not one review with fewer than 4 stars--think maybe the bad ones don't get through their screening process?

They also do not mention exactly what sort of Buffalo. Here in the US we equate Buffalo with American Bison:

But there is another sort in Asia:

The Asian Buffalo, aka Water Buffalo...

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts
Their coats seem to fit just right...

Chris

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
I have found with both LeatherUp and Jafrum you must read the reviews carefully to find out what size to order.
Jafrum is getting much better with their size charts but LeatherUp is lagging a bit.
I have been happy with the products from both but getting the right size can be a gamble. :wink:

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I read a lot of reviews and took the folks that are closest to me in height and weight. Still, I could barely get in to an XL, yet I wear a large in a shirt, a 52 in my textile jacket and I have a have a cheap leather-wannabe jacket that's a 2XL that swallows me up.

Of course, if my negative review doesn't show up in a few days, cliffyk may be correct.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
So.........what was the end result? a different size, just returned it, found something better?
Inquiry minds want to know. :wink:

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I returned it and since they didn't have my size in stock they refunded the money.

I found another one a bit cheaper so ordered it in a 3X - it's still tighter than my XL in a faux leather jacket, but I'm hoping it will loosen up a bit. The only thing I don't like is the turtle feel. If I zip it up and fasten the collar, it comes up to my bottom jaw line.

We'll try it a bit and see what happens. I just won't be ordering any more from this manufacturing company.

Now, as mentioned above, it's not American buffalo but asian buffalo. So, since this is cowhide, what type of cows are Asian cows?

Oh yes, one of the snaps that holds the liner to the sleeve broke off almost from the get-go. My wife has one of those kits so she had to put a new on on the liner and then carefull remove one from the jacket to install a matching one so the liner would snap.

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
I'm also 52". My textile jackets are 2X and fit a bit snugly, just as motorcycle jackets are supposed to (to prevent friction burns as your skin rubs against the jacket material - it happened to me). One jacket is a Joe Rocket Phoenix 5.0 and the other is a Sliders Kevlar Denim Jacket.

I have a leather jacket for cold weather and that's 3X so I have space for extra layers.

If you look at some size charts from other manufacturers 52" could be as large as 4X!!! They must cater to more slender European buyers, I guess.

Alan

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
greenheron said:
If you look at some size charts from other manufacturers 52" could be as large as 4X!!! They must cater to more slender European buyers, I guess.

Alan
Probably catering to the Asian market as they have the most bikers. :wink:

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
In all fairness, I will say that I am enjoying this jacket, especially on those 20 degree drives to work. Today, it was in the low 60s coming home and it wasn't too hot, even with the vents closed,

Finaly got some highway time (oh how I've missed that!!) and it was quite comfortable. If I order it again, I will order the 4X simply because it's a bit of a tug to get my left arm (the shoulder they had to repair and modify) back that far.

·
Registered
5,795 Posts
Let me guess, "MADE IN CHINA"...

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Pakistan

·
Registered
280 Posts
happytech said:
Spot on happy
Pakistan are a major manufacturer of these types of jackets and the leather is mainly from water buffalo. Australian importers do a little work like provide them with their measurements to be used so we dont have these problems. if they just bought them off shelf sight unseen then they will get other sizes that dont compare with american standards of measure which you have and i experienced it in America when i went to buy jeans and shirts and shoes, your the odd country out when it comes to standards, so the problem is obvious you cannot blame the supplier but of course when unscrupulous sellers operate online then you can expect problems.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts