Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some may know already, there is a recall on the clutch plates and some other parts in the trannie that is related to the DIESEL sound. I was setting an appt. for my 600 mile checkup and ask my dealer about the noise and he told me that there was a TSB last week on it. So...lets get rid of our diesel bike once and for all.
Personally, I really did not care whether or not the sound was there. I love my super scooter! Twist and go is my kind of riding. I don't know of anyone that dislike the automatic trannie.
PS I was told to limit my riding as much as possible.(?) Did not ask q's should had.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
PBeaudoin said:
As some may know already, there is a recall on the clutch plates and some other parts in the trannie that is related to the DIESEL sound.
This is not accurate information. The diesel noise has nothing to do with clutch plates or transmission parts. And there is no recall.

There is a gear spacer in the drivetrain that gets replaced if a customer requests it. The dealer has to call Suzuki for authorization. Further, Suzuki states that there is no risk of failure if you don't have this done. There is just a tad too much endplay in one driveline gear that causes it to slap when it it not under load (ideling).

I just had this done. I saw the one small replacement part. I repeat, it has absolutely nothing to do with the clutch or transmission. Let's not start a panic based on bad information.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Paul, how much time doeas it take for the dealer to do the work. Is it something I can wait for?

Eddie

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Edwljoseph said:
Paul, how much time doeas it take for the dealer to do the work. Is it something I can wait for?
Eddie
Eddie,

My dealer asked me to leave the scooter with them. They needed it there when they called Suzuki to get the work authorized. They needed to be able to start it, listen to it, answer any questions about it that the Suzuki rep asked.

I checked back a couple of days later and they said that the work had been authorized, and they had ordered the part and $400 worth of special tools. He also said that Suzuki had talked them through doing the job and given them some tips that would make it much easier than if they had just tried to follow the service manual. I probably could have taken the scooter back at that time, but I figured they would have the stuff in several days, I had the V-Strom to ride anyway.

A few days later I stopped in. The sevice manager showed me one very small box which contained the part they needed. He said that they were just waiting for one special tool to arrive. It took over two weeks for them to get the tool. They did the work on the day the tool arrived - I don't know how long the job took, but I'd guess no longer than several hours.

Best case, I think you'd have to bring the scooter in twice. Once to get the work authorized, and then again when they had the part and tools on hand to have the work done.

Be aware that you'll still have the noise, but it will be a lot quieter than it was before. Sometimes I don't even notice it, but I can hear it if I'm not in traffic and I listen for it. Suzuki had told my dealer that there would still be a small amount of noise.

·
Registered
308 Posts
noise?

Im not sure that I have a noise on the 03 650. I have been riding so many bikes over time that who knows. Some bikes like my old FXRT made a different noise every day, dependng on the temp.

I had a rat BMW r100t that made some really non-repeatable sounds when I shited from N-1st. eeek-griiiiind awk. It was an old used bike, but real enthusiasts told me it was normal.

Sometimes noise means trouble, and sometimes it means your ride has character.

I like that attitude of the guy who made up a "Suzuki Diesel " decal.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am not trying to cause a panic, Paul. This is what I was told. I will follow up on it tomorrow to verify what all was said. However, I was told to limit my driving if not at all. As I said, I asked about the dieseling noise and this is what came of it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Recall

Yup. All Burgies 2003 and forward are defective and will have catastrophic failures. As a public service, I will buy all you got for one thousand dollars apiece. :)

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
PBeaudoin said:
I am not trying to cause a panic, Paul. This is what I was told. I will follow up on it tomorrow to verify what all was said. However, I was told to limit my driving if not at all. As I said, I asked about the dieseling noise and this is what came of it.
I'm sure you aren't intentionally trying to start a panic, but you apparently received very poor advice from your dealer - sounds like he made it up off the top of his head. I really hate it when they do that. With the internet, the BS some of them dish out spreads like wildfire.

Many of us have put thousands of miles on our machines with the dieseling sound with no bad results (I had 4000 miles on mine & I didn't baby it). Suzuki has stuck to the position that this condition will not hurt anything. I believe that your dealer fabricated the entire line of BS you were fed - and quite probably, it was a salesperson, not a mechanic.

I do realize, that with the large amount of different models being sold at many dealerships, it would be very difficult for a salesperson or a mechanic to be informed and knowlegeable on every machine. But what sets me off is when they do their BS routines instead of saying "I don't know about that, but I'll find out for you". It's happened to me too.

Rest assured that any irritation reflected in my post is directed at the dealership, not at you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts