Discussion Starter #1
For the attention of Burgman owners (large variety) :wink:

I picked this up on another forum and post here:

Date: Sun Aug 22, 2004 7:29 pm
Subject: Burgman recall

I just had my 650 Burger in the local Santa Cruz shop for a recall
notice. I received a call for the dealer last week who said they
just got clutch parts in from Suzuki. I dropped it off Thursday in
the evening and picked it up Saturday. The idle noise is now gone.
No more dieseling sounds. (Although it was not bad on my bike
anyway). Anyone else got this done?

Dave Elliott
Members of that forum can view the original message (but it does not say anything else) at:

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/Suzuki_Burgman/message/13241

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I'd be really surprised if this is a real recall. As Mike said, it is not typical of Suzuki to issue recalls for "annoyances".

The early production 1000cc V-Strom has a clutch basket issue, that can lead to a nasty vibration at about 3500 rpm - and some noise at idle. V-Strom DL1000 owners have long referred to this as the "chudder" (just as AN650 owners refer to the "diesel noise at idle"). Someone called USA Suzuki customer support just last week, and the CS rep said that they had no information on that problem, and have never heard of it. Yet dealers have gotten Suzuki to pay for clutch basket replacements under warranty many times - there is a redesigned clutch basket that eliminates the problem. But Suzuki does not formally acknowledge the problem - and they have certainly never sent out recall notices.

Regarding the Burgman 650: If it is "clutch parts" I'd also be surprised. It is one part - a gear bushing - that gets replaced for the diesel noise issue. It has nothing to do with the clutch. The dealer also has to order a special tool to do the replacement.

You can go to your dealer and request that the fix be done. Then they have to call Suzuki to get the repair authorized. But I doubt that you will ever find a recall notice for it in your mailbox.

I listened to several "fixed" machines at Scootercade (including my own). They all still make the noise - just not as loud. But the noise is not "gone".

Based on my experience, I don't buy most of what is said in the post, but I certainly appreciate that Norman forwarded it.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
Was not there not some clutch problems on a few early 650s? It only affected a small series of VIN numbers and most were fixed before they were shipped to the dealers.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
roy_ryall said:
Was not there not some clutch problems on a few early 650s? It only affected a small series of VIN numbers and most were fixed before they were shipped to the dealers.
I have heard about only one case of clutch failure on an AN650. You could be right though.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Yes, there was a clutch problem with a few early 2003 models in the USA. I think the fault was discovered and rectified before many of the "bad" units were sold. One guy in San Francisco, I think, had to have his scooter replaced twice and then they must have figured out the problem because they replaced the clutch when the third one turned out to have the identical problem! The faulty batch of bikes VIN's were between 00661 and 02334 (last 5 numbers). I know, because my Burgie was one of them, but the fix had been done before I bought it. The Yahoo Burgman group discussed this back in 2003. Anyway, that was the only recall problem I've ever heard of and after 15,000 wonderful troublefree miles on my Burgie, I certainly don't have any concerns. The idle clatter is still there, but it doesn't bother me at all.

Cheers,

Bob

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Burger Bob said:
Yes, there was a clutch problem with a few early 2003 models in the USA. I think the fault was discovered and rectified before many of the "bad" units were sold. The faulty batch of bikes VIN's were between 00661 and 02334 (last 5 numbers). I know, because my Burgie was one of them, but the fix had been done before I bought it.
Bob,

I checked the VIN on my 650 and it ends in 01445, which falls into that range. How did you determine that the fix had been done to yours?
I'm dropping mine off for service tomorrow, and I might want to discuss this with the service department.

Thanks,

·
Registered
520 Posts
pauljo said:
Burger Bob said:
Yes, there was a clutch problem with a few early 2003 models in the USA. I think the fault was discovered and rectified before many of the "bad" units were sold. The faulty batch of bikes VIN's were between 00661 and 02334 (last 5 numbers). I know, because my Burgie was one of them, but the fix had been done before I bought it.
Bob,

I checked the VIN on my 650 and it ends in 01445, which falls into that range. How did you determine that the fix had been done to yours?
I'm dropping mine off for service tomorrow, and I might want to discuss this with the service department.

Thanks,
My 2004's last 5 are: 00419. Production date is 10/30. Go figure....

·
Registered
239 Posts
Paul, it's a long story, but basically what happened was that when I was in the throes of buying my Burger, I was aware of the problem due to the Yahoo Group information, so naturally I asked the salesman whether the unit I was about to purchase was one of the faulty ones. He hedged and proceeded to continue with the deal. Well, of course, in the end it turned out to be one of "those" and I got mad and cancelled the whole deal and walked out. A day later I got a call from the dealer saying that they discovered after I left that the fix had already been done to that unit. I'm not sure whether it was done at the factory or at the dealer, because at the time I was thrilled that we could go on with the deal and didn't ask questions. The bottom line is that the bike has run perfectly ever since. I think now that once the problem was identified by Suzuki, they notified all dealers and the fix was done to all bikes. Pappy, I have no idea how your 2004 Burgie has that VIN!

Cheers,

Bob

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Burger Bob said:
Pappy, I have no idea how your 2004 Burgie has that VIN!
Wouldn't the last five start at ...00001 each model year? (I have no idea how VINs work.)

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Brian said:
Ah, thank you. Glad to know the "secrets" as well.
No problem. I was interested in learning myself.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This recently posted on the Yahoo forum:

Date: Tue Aug 24, 2004 10:02 pm
Subject: FALSE CLAIM - AN650 RECALL

NHTSA RECALL: Rumors of a Suzuki AN650 Motorcycle RECALL are
inaccurate! To qualify for a RECALL in the USA one must be on this
list. There are no Burgman models on any RECALL list. Use the NHTSA
link below periodically to check for yourself.

DEALER RECALL: No such thing! If the AN650 were RECALLED, every AN650
or AN400 owner would have received a written notice from your Suzuki
dealer to request the owner return to a Suzuki dealer to have
authorized repairs / modifications performed at no cost. This has
never happened with the Burgman products in the USA.

----------------------------------------------

National Highway Traffic Safety Administration:
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/

//// ---- SAMPLE NHTSA "RECALL NOTICE DATA ---- ////

NHTSA PUBLISHES A LIST OF MONTHLY RECALLS
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) today
released a list of auto safety recalls announced in (this month) and
urged consumers to have the problems fixed promptly.

The list identifies the make and model of the vehicle or equipment
involved, with a brief description of the safety problem.

NHTSA said it is publicizing the recalls to alert consumers about
safety problems and encourages them to take action. Under federal
law, safety problems must be remedied without cost to consumers.
Currently, 72 percent of the owners of vehicles with safety problems
have the recall work performed.

NHTSA said manufacturers are required to mail a recall notice to all
purchasers, owners and dealers when a safety defect or noncompliance
with federal safety standards is found. The agency urges owners to
wait until they receive notification from the manufacturer before
contacting their dealers to schedule the repair work. Not all
vehicles of a particular make and model may be subject to the recall.

Consumers can get up-to-the-minute information on safety recall
campaigns, or information on the recall history of a particular make
and model of car, truck, motorcycle, or child safety seat, by calling
the agency's toll-free Auto Safety Hotline at 1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-888-
327-4236), or by accessing NHTSA on the Internet at

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/

The hotline also can be used to report safety problems.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Norman,

Any manufacturer may recall a product without it being on that list. The ones listed there are federally mandated safety recalls. A manufacturer may wish to recall an item if the cost of a fix is minor vrs letting the item fail and then repairing it.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi Bill

Thank you for the clarification.

I know nothing about the system in the States I was just cross posting and could not add the value you have. Thanks :D

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I asked the service manager at my dealer about that AN650 clutch failure issue this afternoon. He immediately pulled out his manuals and he did find a "service bulletin" regarding it. The bulletin stated that clutch failure due to those defective parts was likely to occur within the first 100 miles of riding. It also noted that a 'punch mark' was placed somewhere on the engine of the machines that had the clutch replaced. He went out to my machine and found the appropriate 'punch mark'. So he is confident that the issue was addressed on my machine.

Unfortunately, I did not know what he was doing when he walked outside and did not follow him, so I do not know the exact location of this punch mark.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Punch Mark?

Pauljo Nice to have met you at Scootercade. My wife and I were quite surprised at the turnout. Her new bike is in that # range can you ask your dealer where to look for the marks. I would ask our local dealer but unfortunaly the man died last week end at 42 years old of unknown causes

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Re: Punch Mark?

magyver said:
Pauljo Nice to have met you at Scootercade. My wife and I were quite surprised at the turnout. Her new bike is in that # range can you ask your dealer where to look for the marks. I would ask our local dealer but unfortunaly the man died last week end at 42 years old of unknown causes
Hi there,

I'm sorry to hear that he died. I remember you talking about that strange coma he went into.

I'll try to find out when I pick up the scooter tomorrow. Based on what he said about the clutch failure usually occuring within the first 100 miles of riding, her 650 should be OK. But I'd like to know where the mark is too.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Re: Punch Mark?

magyver said:
Pauljo Nice to have met you at Scootercade. My wife and I were quite surprised at the turnout. Her new bike is in that # range can you ask your dealer where to look for the marks.
Just picked up my 650. Kneel down on the left side of the bike (kickstand side) and look at the side of the engine case. You'll see a rectangular area where the engine serial number is etched into the metal. Right above the first letter of the serial number (mine is a 'P') there is a tiny dot made by tapping the engine case with a punch. According to my service manager, once in a while the person who does the work forgets to do the punch mark. So if you are in that serial number range, and don't see a punch mark, you can go to a Suzuki dealer. They can look up your bike on Suzuki's website and find out if the work was done.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts