Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day! Sorry for the long intro. This is for a complete teardown of a 1006 AN650. I'm posting the whole thing with progress here for future reference and because it will be easier to manage. Other posts I have about this project will be referenced here. Now here's the long intro. Thanks! I'm looking forward to it.

I haven't posted to the forum in a bit but I have benefited from the sage advice from time to time. I'd also like to thank LeDude for his videos and site. Identifying resources like these should be a part of the bike purchasing process. I bought my white, AN-650 in 2012 with 9334 miles on it for $4K, stock. I'm at 45,830 now. It is my only bike and a daily rider. My wife owns an 08 SilverWing. Oils and coolant ahead of schedule, 1-2 sets of a tires a year, brake pads, CVT, air filters, plugs (always have looked good when taken out), primary pulley bolt ( changed every season, some nicks each time ) and, accessories ( Corbin tall Burgman Seat, Givi tall screen, luggage, Ram mounts... ) are the only repairs that have been done to the bike. Dropped once on the left prior to my ownership. The first owner had a hip issue and down sized into a smaller scoot. My last bike was a Vulcan Drifter 1500 and I won't go back. Burgy is the most do everything, versatile, slightly outrageous work horse super fun machine I've owned yet.

At the start of the season, something was off. The first long full day ride, there was a burning smell. I couldn't tell if it was rubber burn or oil. I checked the primary pulley bolt and it looked good. I had just changed it. I drained the oils. Final drive oil was milky white. Not frothy, but definitely looked like cream had been entered in. Latte-eque. Two fluids, one not so good looking gear oil and the milk. Changed the oils, two weeks later I was in the same place. Evidently, I had also been torquing my transmission drain bolt too much one too many times cause this time, it stripped - and easily.

Ok. I do love this bike but I'm into that mileage when I need to consider doing the quick fix and selling it, replacing Burgy with.. other Burgy. A little patience and another 10K mile, $4K bike will show up and my accessories will transfer over. Maybe I keep present Burgy as a parts bike. Seems too easy and while I'd like another bike in the garage, I'd like to ride it.

There are some issues with the bike and some maintenance that I am behind in. It seems like I should at least fix and catch up if I'm going to keep it. Brake lines, front fork work, wheel bearings, rotors, fuel line, throttle body cleaning, injector inspection. The suspension has to change. The backs I'm not very happy with but the front forks have to dramatically improve. Glad to see plenty of articles on that here.

Right here.. right here is where my technical skill level, with support from friends is. The stuff above is a good challenge. I'll make mistakes, get frustrated some times. I'm slow as well but, it'll get done. From this point on, I'm speaking in partial fantasy and faith. I'm an IT infrastructure guy by trade, 25 years in that. It is just lack of experience and that bugs me. I love to ride. I want more bikes. I have to teach myself this so when my grand kids are teens, I'm teaching them and I have a retirement job / hobby. So here we go.

I want to do enough repair to get her all the way back and we'll ride for the next 4 seasons. I'd hope that either I won't have to do this again for my life with the bike or if I do, I'll know how to deal with it.

Inspect / Repair Clutch - Great vid on the LeDude site for that. Feeling good there. Looking at the parts that came out of the clutch, I have no idea how it does what it does. Guessing it will become more apparent in the hands.

CVT belt. Why not. Heh. This is the issue with the Burgman right? When 'it happens' in the CVT, what ever it is, do you pay for the man hours to take it apart and replace the innards or the 3K+ for the whole kit and less hours? Or Craiglist for a slightly used? My labor cost is also a learning / education cost.. its all a wash if not a plus. Just parts and since I'm slow, ordered over time.

What ever else in the CVT I / the forum / becomes evident that should be addressed.

So off I went and started taking it apart - so far, so good. Parts in bags, garage cleaned and orderly. Pictures coming. Last things off were the seat frame, fuel tank and storage box. Next up is the exhaust, air box and radiator.

There is more rust than I liked to see. Sanding and painting, cleaning of the plastic pieces are a part of it. I'm not sure of the integrity of the rear coils and they're on my short list anyway.

Ok, that's it! Suspension I think is my first large expenditure. I'll be researching the boards here. Looks like drilling the front forks is a good idea, and I'm open to changing those springs and the backs with it.

I'll post updates with pics as it goes on. Thank you for everything.

Attachments

·
Registered
347 Posts
Wow, big job, I just had my front forks done. I now have racetech springs with emulators. Boy does it make a difference. I did not do it myself but the guy who did has his own shop. The way he set mine up I would not change. So, to do it right yourself I would do some research into these things before buying the the parts you need and assembling. He did give me the technical stuff I need in case he doesn't change the oil in them when it is time. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Good grief that thing looks awful , do you park it in the swamp at night ?

TheReaper!

·
Registered
285 Posts
I'm almost speechless! I think I would just put it on Craigslist or Ebay and hope for the best---what a wreck! No offense meant.:confused:

The more I see a B650 naked :D, the more I wonder why on earth I have had 4 of them. Aside from routine maintenance being okay to do for the average owner, Tesla, Einstein or even Dr. Frankenstein wouldn't dare get below the cheap tupperware.:rolleyes:

I picture the Japanese engineers and designers finally putting all prototype pieces together and just shaking their heads and saying: Godzilla, Rodan, Ghedra and rocket powered turtle much easier to build than this ---ah monstrosity! We must hide from the masses that will look for us when any real work needs to be done on Burgerman;)

Good luck!

Sam:)

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
If that was my bike I would remove the engine and wiring harness as well and have the frame redone. Maybe a black powdercoat. It would allow me to split the case on the transmission and put a new belt into it as well as new bearings. I would also check the valves on the engine while I had it apart. This has to be a labor of love as the bike will never be worth what you have in it by the time you are done.

A friend and I did a frame up restore on a 1989 Honda dual sport bike that he owned several years ago. Took us all winter to do it but the bike looked (and ran) like a new one when we were done.

Doug

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
If that was my bike I would remove the engine and wiring harness as well and have the frame redone. Maybe a black powdercoat. It would allow me to split the case on the transmission and put a new belt into it as well as new bearings. I would also check the valves on the engine while I had it apart. This has to be a labor of love as the bike will never be worth what you have in it by the time you are done.
Doug
You got that right , at least the part about it never being worth the cost . For what you can buy a VERY nice 2006 for today , it makes little financial sense to rebuild one like this . If it were me I would get what I could out of the parts and call it a day . It only makes sense if it is a hobby thing that one really enjoys .

TheReaper!

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
It all depends where you live.
The AN650 frame rusts by itself in some climates, where you can't buy a nice used specimen, because unless it was never on the road, the frame will look like this.

I hope to do a frame refinish one day, then my AN650 will stand out in the market I'm in as the only one with a frame not about to break due to rust.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Frame doesn't look too bad to me. Nothing a little sanding and primer/paint won't clean up.

Good luck, it will be interesting watching the build.

You're a bigger man than I. I had my Chinese scoot stripped down like that, couldn't fix it and had no desire to put it back together! Luckily I found a Chinese scoot expert and paid him to do it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts