Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

Reasonable delivery, prep & MSRP costs for Burgman 400?

2K views 9 replies 10 participants last post by  pauljo 
#1 ·
I just began looking for a Burgman and would appreciate some experienced input on what I should expect to pay for delivery and prep and how close to MSRP should I expect to pay for the Burgman 400?

Thanks

Howard

#2 ·
Howard,

I paid $5000 for a 2003 in 2004. Add TN tax, title, and extended warranty put the total at $5966. If I had spent more time haggling, I probably could have gotten a better deal. I was at the point, "I want one NOW." :)

You might want to read thru this thread :

http://burgmanusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=381

#4 ·
I bought a 2003 400 in May of 2003. My dealer basically sold it for list price, but did include all the taxes and setup.
I maybe paid too much, but I like supporting my local dealer, and they do need a fair profit to be around if you need them. Unfortunately for me, Suzuki hosed up their Dealers so bad, (see http://burgmanusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2412) it really didn't matter.

Bottom line:
They should take 5% off list at least. The rest is up to you, factoring in your comfort level with them, and conveniance.

#6 ·
Cost.

I paid 4600.00 for a brand new 2003 in summer of 2004. Forget about prep fees and other crap. Car dealers don't charge to air up tires and remove plastic from the seats. (well they kinda do but not on top of the final deal). The consumer should not let these stealers charge all this extra moneys to do what they are suppposed to do in the first place. They open the box and check oil, install battery, check out ride, wipe it down (sometimes) and they want to charge fee's for this. Ha Ha. I went and saw the bike and the next day called and said I would pay them 4500 for the bike and they said 4800 and I came back and told them 4600 and this is my last coversation about this deal. The salesman of course had to talk to the manager and called me back and said we have a deal at 4600.00. I went to pick it up the next day and expected to have all these extra fee's that I would not have paid in the first place. I walked in and handed them 4600.00 and not a penny more and rode the bike home. My suggestion is just agree on a fair price and do not let them add all the put in their pocket money for nothing. Believe me they get it back when you buy parts and god forbid have service work done. Good luck and remember the stealers need you and you have many options as to where to get a bike.

#7 ·
The dealers here were charging up to as much as $1200 & wouldn't budge. That has changed now & they are getting hungry. You can not only talk them out of the added dealer mark-up but even deal on the price. I suspect this may last till it starts to warm up & it may be still too early to deal.
I do expect to see some stiff price hikes in the near future though. The collapse of the dollar has to be passed along pretty soon & it's likely it will get worse.

#9 ·
Dealer prep for the 400 is a simple procedure that probably took only 1 hour. Oil checks, windshield install and install the mirrors...my dealer threw in the prep which he said costs $85 (Canadian dollars). Then again another dealer quoted a friend of mine $600.00 for the prep. I told him to go to this other dealer. Nothing much to preparing these scooters. Maybe a dealer reading this can correct me.

#10 ·
It depends. Some dealerships don't do any more than you described. The setup guy at the dealership I go to is very thorough. He actually does go through the machine checking nuts & bolts for proper tightening - and he gives each machine a through (and somewhat spirited) test ride when he is finished. I have not had the typical problems (reported by more than one person) of centerstand bolts coming out, axel pinch bolts being loose, etc. on the machines that Sam has set up. I don't mind paying a guy like that for his work. But unfortunately, I think he is an exception. I am sure some dealers have their least experienced "mechanic" doing setup - and that will likely show a few thousand miles down the road, maybe sooner.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.