Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I first noticed that I was having trouble backing up when the bike was idling. After putting it up on the stand the wheel turns in idle. I am thinking that the clutch is slipping and may need adjustment. Does anyone else have experience with this? Does it make the bike unsafe to drive? 8)

·
Super Moderator
8,074 Posts
Mine and everyone else's, I know of, does it.

This is normal, if you need it to stop the wheel, the parking brake should do it.

It should stay in 1st gear, and Not shift to higher gears.

·
Registered
137 Posts
My 650 does this sometimes and will even stop on its own if left idling long enough on the center-stand. It does make it hard to back up from a cold start, but this doesn't seem to be the case when the bike is warm.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
jjacobs said:
I first noticed that I was having trouble backing up when the bike was idling. After putting it up on the stand the wheel turns in idle.
Yep. This is normal.

If I have to back up hill or on slippery ground I shut off the engine first; on normal terrain it doesn't matter much.

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
normal, i say

mine spins around lazily until it gets down to normal op tep and idle speed. and yes, with higher idle, when cold, be ready to dig in to go backwards.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Because of the weight of the burgman, when I first got mine I got caught in some embarrassing situations (i.e., I've parked and can't back out! :oops:). Now I select spots carefully, and sometimes I back into the parking spot so I can get out easier.

Perhaps it is my imagination, but after replacing the transmission oil with synthetic, the cold idling is so fast that I can cruise around the parking lot at about 3 mph. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts