Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
micburgsma, I watched your video about Rear Wheel removal. But being lazy I am averse to removing anything I don't have to. Why is it much harder to remove the stock muffler without removing the Rt side leg shield cover?

·
Registered
416 Posts
Maybe I'm reading too much into this (due to the title of your post). But if you're considering removing the muffler to remove the rear wheel, it is not necessary to remove the muffler. But maybe you're doing something else as well...

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
The exhaust has to come off to get the wheel off.
You can do it without removing the bodywork, it just cramps the access a bit if the lower bodywork is in place. I usually just take the fasteners out and there is enough flex in the plastic to give a bit of extra room if it’s needed.

Be careful with the gasket inside the muffler/down pipe join - it’s a mesh type and easily crushed out of shape if you abuse/misalign it when mounting/dismounting the heavy muffler. A jack or axle stand is handy to take the weight if you are working on your own.

Realigning the joint is slightly trickier up inside the bodywork than without because you can’t cup your hand around the whole thing.

·
Registered
203 Posts
This is interesting as one guy says to remove the rear wheel you need to take the muffler off and the other guy says you don't. May we have our Kate and Edith?
Do the Pep Boys still sell that muffler sealing tape that we used to make those Cherry Bomb mufflers "fit"? Can I put a Jack&Harry's $29.99 "performance" muffler on my 400? But, I digress.....

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
The silencer is mounted to the rear subframe and the wheel comes off by removing the rear subframe.
The wheel is then removed via the space the exhaust and subframe previously occupied.
You could try removing both still attached to each other but I don’t see how you would do it without damaging the exhaust/down pipe joint (or down pipe to engine)

·
Registered
681 Posts
Yep, what BB said. Bottom line on a 400, to remove the rear wheel, the muffler comes off. It's bolted to the right side (removable) swing arm bracket/frame.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Concur with JR above, certainly when the rear had a puncture that's what I did to remove the rear wheel, just about done it without removing body panels, but on reflection BB's suggestion makes sense, though having grown more used to how it all fits I think next time the panels will be removed.

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What I was asking was How hard it is to remove the muffler without removing the Rt side Leg Shield cover. I can get at the the muffler clamp without removing the rt side leg shield cover but it will be dicey. END OF POST!

·
Registered
681 Posts
What I was asking was How hard it is to remove the muffler without removing the Rt side Leg Shield cover. I can get at the the muffler clamp without removing the rt side leg shield cover but it will be dicey. END OF POST!
Yes, with the right combination of universal joint and extension for a socket/ratchet, ample amount of working works, and sticking your tongue out just right. OR.....Remove just enough of the plastic rivets from the lower leg shield/belly to allow 'easier' access to the exhaust clamp bolt.

With a little practice one can get a fully assembled 400 to this condition in about 45 minutes.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Try without removing bodywork first. It's not that hard. Plastic flexes.

Reactions: JRoss

·
Registered
37 Posts
You do not have to remove any of the right side plastic to remove the muffler. You do have to remove the muffler to get the rear wheel off. I draw a silver sharpie line through the o2 sensor before removing. This lets you know when you have it tight enough putting it back on. You have to loosen the header clamp bolt. That is all you're faced with North of the o2 sensor.

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I thank Y'all, Yeah I can feel the clamp without removing anything and the clue about the 1/4 inch universal with an extender and marking the nut on the O2 sensor are all good clues. I stall await the arrival of the Pirelli tires

·
Registered
681 Posts
FWIW, I follow the O2 wires up to the connector and disconnect it. Typically only takes one or two working words to get it. Twisting wire bundles, not a fan of that.

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Over the years I have removed many brake calipers. They are not easy, but they are also never hard to remove. But I am having trouble removing the rear wheel caliper. And yes the parking brake is released. I positioned it so as not to have any stress on the brake line and can budge it just a little but it refuses to slide off. Is there something I am missing?

·
Administrator
20,198 Posts
There may be a ridge worn into the rotor. My 1st 2003 650 did. I put it on the center stand and fired it up. I then set the throttle at about 2500 RPM and held a file up on the rotor to grind off the ridge, both sides.

But use extreme caution as that spinning rotor will not stop if you get your neighbors cat in there. It will pop off anything stuck in there.

Also, you may need to twist the Caliper sideways to push in the pistons. You may need to use some paper towels to soak up some brake fluid out of the Master cyclinder too, especially if you have topped it off full..

Reactions: mikeyMarine

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Dave J, Thanks, that's a good idea to twist the Caliper side ways to help release the pads. Never had to do that before. I'll give it a try tomorrow..

1 - 20 of 25 Posts