Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was checking my tire pressure today before beginning a few hour ride and noticed that my rear wheel was pretty hot after just a 30 mile ride to my starting point.
Is it normal for that to happen or is that an indication of something wrong?

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Like Cliffy says, all tyres heat up.

If you think it is excessive check your tyre pressures are correct.

If your pressures are too low the tyre will heat up more

Most of the heat when cruising comes from the flexing of the rubber and the movement that causes in the molecular structure. The tyre squishes more when its pressure is low so it gets hotter.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
not the tire, the wheel. I maintain both tires at 36 psi. the front tire and wheel were cool and the pressure read 36.5 from warming up a bit. the rear wheel, not tire, was hot and the pressure in the tire had risen to 41 from 36 because of the heat from the wheel.

MacDoc, shocked was my reaction for sure. good to know it's normal though.
thanks for the reassurance. I'm always waiting for something to go wrong since it sat unridden under a carport for a few years with the previous owner.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
and, yea that makes sense Quantum Mechanic. I'm not used to having something with the engine where the 400's is.

·
Registered
133 Posts
you have the brake rotor, engine, exhaust that causes your rim to heat up. mine does it and has for years. it gets so hot you cant touch it. no worries i dont believe. burgman 400

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
jon, just a point you may or may not know. The tyre pressures you are using are way too high. 36psi in the rear is for pillion carrying only. Front tyre pressure always stays the same at 25psi with or without a passenger. IF you are a very big guy, then by all mean go up just a tad but going so high (36) will wear your tyres very quickly and make the bike less comfortable and less stable with less grip in the wet.

·
Registered
66 Posts
In order to give you a proper advice you should inform us the tire temperature as well.
What i know is until 75C it is acceptable. Any temperature above that is risky...

·
Registered
66 Posts
Another information is, low tire pressure shortens lifespan.
Over inflating the tire only causes a risk of explosion... doesn't shortens the tire life.

Less tire pressure is also causes asymmetric tire wear. This is because the side of the tires are made of more soft rubber than the centre. If you under inflate, the sides of the tires also will touch the ground more than it should be and therefore the sides will wear faster.

You shall notice a height on centre of the tire when you stop after a long ride.

·
Registered
23 Posts
jon, just a point you may or may not know. The tyre pressures you are using are way too high. 36psi in the rear is for pillion carrying only. Front tyre pressure always stays the same at 25psi with or without a passenger. IF you are a very big guy, then by all mean go up just a tad but going so high (36) will wear your tyres very quickly and make the bike less comfortable and less stable with less grip in the wet.
not disagreeing with you. More to do with a discussion i have had on the Honda forum. Could not get them to see the logic of what Honda Recommends for tire pressure. Both my current CBR500 and former NC750S said 42r/36f - passenger or not. Also that pressure is max rated printed on sidewall.

to me that is too high. I am guessing Honda says that for fuel economy. I had a Ninja 650r and that was only 36r/32f.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quantum Mechanic, I have always set my tire pressure at or just below max cold rating on the tires of every vehicle i have driven. I haven't known about manufacture recommended tire pressure until it was mentioned here. But after doing some browsing it seems that there are varying opinions/experiences among people who have or have not followed the recommended pressure. Here's how i understand it from my quick search.

Recommended pressure.
Pros: optimum contact patch, optimum comfort, little better feel with front tire at recommended.
Cons: faster tire wear, little lower mpg, little more drag.

Over recommended:
Pros: little higher mpg, slower tire wear (especially in rear), little less drag, quicker handling(?)
Cons: less contact patch, twitchy/slick in wet conditions.

I'm guessing the tire wear is improved because more of the riding is being done on the harder center rubber.

Am i missing anything?

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
With overinflated tyres the centre of the tyre wears too fast in relation to the rest of the tread. Smaller contact patch equals more concentrated wear, especially on our scoots which already have a smaller contact patch compared to motorcycles. It does to some extent depend on how much over you go from the standard recommended pressure of course. Not all scooter tyres are multi compound tyres either so the wear factor as you explain can be different for different manufacturers tyres. The main concern is safety, which we found is considerably reduced in high braking events with overinflated tyres taking considerably longer to stop the bike safely without a skid. Skidding was easier to produce, especially in the wet. For that reason alone running correct pressures is to my mind the most important thing. Incidentally, I've had bikes come into the workshop with way overinflated tyres and the tyre has been illegal after just 4k miles due to the centre tread being worn away. Under inflated tyres of course will also wear too much in the wrong place. There is good reason for the recommended pressures. In the UK we can be fined for running with the incorrect pressures (defined I think, by being more than 4 psi above or below the recommended pressures for use at that time) and our bikes can actually fail an mot test for being unroadworthy. Interesting subject.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Quantum Mechanic, I have always set my tire pressure at or just below max cold rating on the tires of every vehicle i have driven. I haven't known about manufacture recommended tire pressure until it was mentioned here. But after doing some browsing it seems that there are varying opinions/experiences among people who have or have not followed the recommended pressure. Here's how i understand it from my quick search.

Recommended pressure.
Pros: optimum contact patch, optimum comfort, little better feel with front tire at recommended.
Cons: faster tire wear, little lower mpg, little more drag.

Over recommended:
Pros: little higher mpg, slower tire wear (especially in rear), little less drag, quicker handling(?)
Cons: less contact patch, twitchy/slick in wet conditions.

I'm guessing the tire wear is improved because more of the riding is being done on the harder center rubber.

Am i missing anything?
The maximum pressrure printed on the tire is the absolute maximum safe cold pressure the tire should ever have--under any circumstances. Beyond that misunderstanding you are confusing automobile and motorcycle recommeneded pressures.

Many automakers recommend lower than optimal (for tire life and performance) pressures in order to optimize "ride" (a nebulous term) quality--this is especially true for larger SUVs, which are actually trucks. Ford got in great trouble with its Explorer some years back by running underflated cheap Firestone OEM tires.

Motorcycles are completely different animals: IMHO, and feel free to do as you want, overinflated (overinflated for the service duty in question) is one of the more dangerous things onecan do when setting up a bike...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Interesting. Well thanks for bringing that up Quantum Mechanic. :) I would have otherwise continued to run my tires at that pressure had you not. And thanks to everyone else for their input as well. I will adjust my tires to more closely match recommended pressure.

Great to have a community of knowledgeable individuals to bounce questions and ideas off of and to catch your mistakes. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts