Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a rear wheel from a 2003 AN650, and I guess I know now why it was discounted, because it IS visibly different in appearance from my 2007 rear wheel.

Ronayers.com list the RH spacer as being unique for K3 model year.

Has anyone tried both types of wheel?

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you very much!

While I haven't read the thread closely, there are clear pictures of a K3 wheel that show the difference in the RH spacer area.

The casting of the wheel differs in two areas:

There's no provision for installing the ABS ring
[attachment=0:3o2erip4]IMG_1347.JPG[/attachment:3o2erip4]
The brake disc mounting area is not a solid ring, but 4 separate posts.

And the brake disc is attached with 4 bolts and not 5!

Bummer I need a brake disc too!

edit: A K3 wheel fits a K7 with the spacers from the K7.
The outside width across the bearings inner races is identical ~165 milimeters, but you need the brake disc from a K3

Attachments

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
you have an incomplete wheel there... it is missing a few major parts, the spline, etc...

as for the spacer, it shouldn't make any difference... they changed the orientation on it... should fit just fine...

I believe the rotor is the same for all model years. The exec has the extra ABS ring.

check the online parts microfiches to see if there are any differences in the wheel itself.

the abs ring sensor should be easy enough to mount... find out how is mounted on your other wheel.

good luck...

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The breaker has listed the spline coupling separately, and I'd rather use my own, which has worn with its counterpart in the swing arm, instead of a worn (out) one of dubious origin.

I don't have ABS, but my K7 wheel has material cast where the bolt holes would be on an Exec, whereas the K3 wheel is missing these castings.

The biggest problem is the 4-bolt brake disc, which the breaker only has new. Only the K3 has 4-bolt, all newer have 5-bolt. I'm considering having a disc laser cut to measure from a suitable metal plate.

Using my K7 spacers, the wheel bolts right in without issues.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
ErikDK said:
There's no provision for installing the ABS ring.
Well considering ABS wasn't available that explains why the K3 wheel is different.

LeDude said:
The exec has the extra ABS ring. check the online parts microfiches to see if there are any differences in the wheel itself. the abs ring sensor should be easy enough to mount... find out how is mounted on your other wheel.
The photo he posted shows the K3 wheel lacks the four cast mounting points for the ABS tone wheel.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Yup the parts catalog shows the different rotor bolt patterns for K3 and K4-up. I wondered what was different when I was looking at rear brake rotor pricing, now I know. Looks like your best bet is getting a K3 rotor if you wanna use the rim, at least you said you didn't need to worry about the ABS tone wheel.

·
Administrator
18,342 Posts
Yes the disc rotors are different but will work with the correct wheel. I am running a 03 front and rear on my 08 currently. I used the whole 03 setup. :thumbup: Your braker is getting rich off ya Erik. :D

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm gonna go the whole way, so I've just ordered a new 4-bolt EBC brake rotor, price 44 Euros = 58 USD

No used brake discs were available.

I'd better like going to the dark side, cause there's a long way to break-even at this rate.

·
Administrator
18,342 Posts
I just have to say it. If you do please PRACTICE your braking, cornering AND BRAKING WHILE CORNERING. :D It will feel different but you should get use to it soon enough. Just be careful.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts