Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I recently bought a 99 AN 400 X knowing there was a knocking noise coming from the rear wheel, I thought it may have been the pad touching the disc, when I got it home I degreased everything and after doing this the knocking noise disappeared so I am thinking it may have been a sticking caliper and the degreaser freed it off, But now when the wheel is turned I can hear a rumble type noise, I have done some searching and it seems it could be either wheel bearing or the bearing that has something to do with the clutch spline:confused: I don't mind replacing both of these if that's what it is but I seem to be having a problem finding someone in the UK that sells them. If anyone reading this is from UK or Europe and knows where I could get them from I would be grateful if you could let me know.
Thanks.
Gary.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
It is probably not the wheel bearing but the idler gear in the tranny.
Search idler bearing in this section and you will find that it needs replacing.
All of them go bad!

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Mine growls a little, and has from new, are you sure it's not just that? Like scoot said, it's also turning a gear in the rear end, not just the wheel turning.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When I bought it the seller informed me about a knocking noise on the rear wheel he had been told by a Garage that it could have been the pads rubbing the disc when I got it I sprayed degreaser on it to clean it up I left it on for a few hours then when I spun the wheel the knocking noise had gone, I am thinking it may have been a sticky caliper, but now when I spin the wheel it does sound like a bearing rumble but I am not sure which one.

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
Put the bike on the center stand. Start the engine. If you can hear the noise with the engine idling then slowly speed the engine up until the clutch engages and the rear wheel starts spinning. If the noise stops when the clutch engages then the problem is the bearing on the clutch shaft. It is Item 11 on this fiche. http://www.partshark.com/oemparts/a/suz/508c05b0f870020498e36987/transmission-1

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi.
I did as you said and you are correct it is that bearing, I have read it is not vital that it is done straight away so I will continue using it until I source one which at this moment in time is proving difficult as nobody I have tried in the UK seems to stock them.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Your local Suzuki dealer can have one for you off the shelf or by the next day if you order one before noon. Just about everything is available from Suzuki very quickly here in the Uk. If not, it's available in a few days if it's ordered urgently from Japan. Depends what you want to pay for carriage. I speak from experience ordering for several different models of Burgman 400. I've had no problems ordering engine parts for the very early 2001 carb model 400.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Could you give me the name of the Dealer you use as I have tried a couple near me and they just don't seem interested.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
fudge, of course. I use Orwell Motorcycles in Ipswich, Suffolk, England. You can get them on 01473 257401. Ask for parts dept. They are all very helpful. I bought my new 400z abs from them and I've dealt with them for years. They are a huge dealership with multiple franchises covering Suzuki, Kawasaki, and loads of other major marks.

Incidentally, are you on maxi-muppets.co.uk? If not you should be. They have a good Burgman section and we have rideouts regularly covering most parts of the country.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts