Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 2009 Burgman 650 and want to add a rear trunk. It doesn't look like there is anything to mount to. Any suggestions would be nice.

·
Premium Member
8,357 Posts
you are really out of luck trying to add a front trunk, but there are several options for the rear, the passenger backrest will have to go but the mounting stuff is under there, do a search in accessories and aftermarket and it may help welcome and enjoy :)

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
http://www.ebay.com/itm/140983165869

I just purchased this unit and the corresponding mounting bracket. The color matches perfectly to the bike.

If you search YouTube for Burgman Bestem top case, there are some instructional videos on mounting it. You have to drill a few holes, but there are mounting points built into the tail of the bike specifically for a top case. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
4,015 Posts
Remove the plastic cover and your will find some mounting holes that an adapter can be mounted to. You need to drill hole thru the cover, they are located with a mark on the inside of the cover.

·
Registered
515 Posts
you are really out of luck trying to add a front trunk, but there are several options for the rear, the passenger backrest will have to go but the mounting stuff is under there, do a search in accessories and aftermarket and it may help welcome and enjoy :)
If he really wants a front trunk I would be happy to let him have some of mine ;)

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I reserve my front trunk for the girls. Not that I have problem what you do with your trunk. To each their own.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I have a 2006 B400 so I don't know much about 650's but do you really have to take off the back rest for the passenger in order to put a Givi top box on?? My '06 came with a backrest and the folks at Givi made a mount that attaches to it as well as the base. I would have thought they could make a mount for the 650 like that.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
This was also the last year of the non-Exec, so he could be seeing a blank spot not knowing what to do.

Does yours come with the small backrest or is the rear tail piece empty?

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
I have a 400s, and two 650 Exec's (11, & 12 model years). All are fitted with a Bestem 2012 T-box.

Both the 650's were an easy fit, but both had the backrest.

If you go the Bestem route, they are good value for money boxes, but do not expect the quality of a Givi unit. The boxes themselves are fine, and I've had no leaks in several years of use, but on 2 out of three of mine (and the third is only a week old!) I have had issues with the clearcoat, and had to respray.
On one, the clear yellowed, and flaked off in areas, and while the other had no flaking, the entire area yellowed within 5 months, making it seem like my silver bike had a gold top-box!
Both came back up well after being rubbed back and sprayed (changed color slightly on one before clearing), for less than $20.

Also be wary of the Bestem mounting hardware. On my 2011 (box purchased around a year ago) it came with spacers, which leveled the support plate, but without hardware, so I had to source my own bolts and washers. I also had drill the third hole in the support plate.
On the 2012, (box purchased last week, fitted Saturday) the "Burgman" box was no longer available, but a Burgman mounting plate was. So I purchased this as well. The mounting plate came with spacers, and hardware, just unfortunately not the right size. The spacers did not level the plate, or box, and would have interfered with the tail unit. So I had to space up the rearward items using washers to level. But after this, the supplied bolts were too short to mount the support plate.
So, I just fitted the mounting plate, then drilled another couple of holes in the support plate to align with the mounting plate holes, and used the supplied hardware.

On my 400s, (box purchased 2010) I had to drill the tailpiece, but the hole positions were clearly marked from underneath. So, not a difficult task. With this one, I didn't get mounting hardware (other than the brackets to mount to a rack, which all come with) so I used bolts coming up from underneath, with washers and nuts above to hold in place. I then used nuts and lock washers above and below the support plate, to allow me to adjust for level. Once done I ground off any excess bolt.

None of this is difficult, just don't expect a straightforward bolt-on with parts supplied.
Most difficult part of fitting any of them was wiring the light into the brake-light circuit.

I hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
655 Posts
I just purchased a 2009 Burgman 650 and want to add a rear trunk. It doesn't look like there is anything to mount to. Any suggestions would be nice.
If you go to this Page it has on it all you need to Know for 10kg capacity cases. LINK and this page for 5kg capacity cases LINK

1 - 10 of 10 Posts