Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well..

My GF and I HAD a wonderful weekend planned in Door County, but we were filling up and a guy walked by and said; "what's that on your tire?"

I looked down and saw a blister the size of a golf ball on the side of my rear tire. Needless to say, our weekend of cruising scenic Door County was over.

Anyway... I'm on the search for new tires and installation. My question, are there any short cuts to removing the rear wheel?

It looks fairly easy (according to the manual).. but its always been my experience in working on cars, if you can avoid working on muffler bolts, its always best..

So, if you have any suggestions based on experience that would be great.. and if you have any current "two cents" worth on tire suggestions, that would be great as well.. I am currently thinking of going with the Michelin PP SC tires based on CliffyK's most recent post. They seem to be the right price, and it appears people chimed in on his thread with positive comments.

Thanks in advance for the help

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
The muffler has to come off to remove the muffler support bracket. Soak the two hex nuts with PB-Blaster or similar the night before and again before you break them loose. Make sure you have a high quality hex key (6 mm) that fits properly into the nut. There is a round gasket between the "header" and mid-pipe that will likely be shot; however as it is a solid joint I just use muffler cement on the flanges and have never had a leak.

The other three bolts holding the muffler to its bracket, and the bracket bolts are easy; as are the lug nuts. Because of the rear wheel's design any tire shop will be able to dismount/mount the tire and balance the wheel--the Tire Kingdom here did not even charge me the last time, only $10 the time before that.

Torque specs:

lug nuts - 36 lb-ft;
muffler bracket bolts - 36 lb-ft;
muffler mounting bolts - 16.5 lb-ft;
exhaust mid-pipe nuts - 16.5 lb-ft;

I use copper anti-seize on the mid-pipe nuts. Permatex says it's good to 1800° F though it is always burned off/gone when tire change time comes around--if nothing else it makes me feel better about things...

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
I usually only loosen up the exhaust assy enough to slide the wheel out carefully to save time and effort. But the above is the correct way to do it!

PS- I use air tools to assist and go all NASCAR on it. I Love the Sound of Impact Wrenches in the Morning...:cool:
Sorry you missed out on Door County. We used to do that every year with the family when I lived north of the Mason-Dixon Line.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually... I got everything apart in about 15 minutes.. My trepidation about the exhaust bolts wasn't warranted... it was easy as pie...

In fact.. the tire was delivered to my house, and my buddy from the shop swung by and picked it up and is doing the mounting and balancing as I type this post.. I will be able to do the installation tonight and, hopefully, drive it into work tomorrow..

Just to be curious.. anything I should look at or "do" while the tire is off.. it appeared the brake caliper was loose.. but I think it may be a "floating" caliper and have some play in it..

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
I have been running them front and rear for about 8k miles, 2nd one on the back 750 miles or so ago. For now I would not run anything else, they are affordable and an overall good tire.

My only caveat to this is that I do not ride in rain unless I "get caught" (a forecast of "possible" showers does not keep me off the scoot). That said I have ridden two or three times in some good ol' Florida downpours at 45 to 50 and have not had any issues other than what one would expect on a lighter weight bike in heavy rain...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts