Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Check the wheel rim for a hairline crack. Not easy to see usually, so remove the wheel would be my advice. If you inflate the tyre (tire) to around 40psi cold then try the soapy water dip with the whole wheel. But don't dunk the wheel bearings into the water. Just the rim as you turn it very slowly. I've found many a cracked wheel rim that way. You only need a big bowl of water. You will find it! Good luck.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
After a week of trying to isolate the issue with my rear tire, I finally raised the white flag this morning and dropped my bike off at the local Kawasaki dealer. They are a good group of folks who actually provide excellent service. Had them mount a pair of tires on my S50 a couple years back for a decent price. Being Saturday, they could not get to me today (no surprise) so I just left the bike there figuring if was not going to be ridden whether in my garage or at the shop. Considering the massive air loss I have been experiencing, am very grateful to have made the 24 mile ride safely. I expect to hear something from them Monday or Tuesday.

Just wanted to let you all know how much I appreciate all the assistance. Will let you know what the issue turns out to be - hoping for something relatively minor. :D

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
You can replace the valve stem with the tire on the bike - at least you can the front tire. I had to have it done in the middle of nowhere Montana several summers ago. The rear tire will be a lot more challenging, but I'm sure it can be done.

I don't recommend this, but then, I was in the middle of Montana and there was no electrical power (the town's transformer had blown).

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Update

Finally heard from the shop - a hole in the tire but no object imbedded. Not sure how I missed the hole when using the soapy water solution, but at least the issue has been confirmed and it was not the wheel. The bad news is that he ordered the tire today and does not expect it to arrive until Tuesday. This means I will not get my bike back until Wednesday at the earliest and the weather is supposed to be picture-perfect here the rest of this week and the weekend. :( I hate to lose the riding time, but it can't be helped. Just grateful to have gotten the bike to the shop without incident. :)

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Just heard from the shop that my bike is ready to pick up this evening. I cannot believe it has been almost 2 weeks to get a new rear tire mounted. Oh well, better late than never. On the plus side, it is going to be $156.60 total which is about 1/2 of what I expected. Figured they would put a big mark-up on the tire (I found it online for just under $100) plus another $100 for labor.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Got it! The hole is in the sidewall about 1/4" diameter (best guess). I will take it over to Dave @ Dave's Cycle Werks to see if he can plug it for me.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.