Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

Rear tire life on the 650?

7K views 35 replies 19 participants last post by  Dave_J 
#1 ·
I did a search and came up with a ton of threads about tires, replacement, brands, but could not find a definitive answer..

I have 4,100 miles on my 2012 Burgman 650 (currently in winter storage)..
Planning an early summer trip of a bit over 1,000 miles... and wondering if I should work hard on getting mikes on the rear so I can replace itbvefore, or whether it should be OK..
It looks "fine"... My last scoot was a piaggio MP3 500.. and a change at 6,000 miles was pretty much mandatory.. so that's where I am coming from.. Hoping that I will find that a change may be closer to 10,000 miles.. but just asking....

#3 ·
The longest I've gone on my OEM rear tire was 9,500 miles, that's when the cords started to show. It all depends on where you ride I guess as some have gone further. On my '03 I seem to recall the Pirelli's went only 5,000 miles.

#4 ·
On rear always use Michelin or Bstone, milage 5000 to 6500 mile, not get more. I replace tire when get wear bar. 6500 mile is very very good life for rear tire.

#5 ·
I ride very aggressively and in the rain alot so mine may not be the norm. The rougher the road surface the lower the tire life. The hotter a tire runs also lowers the life. Places like Florida where they use ground up Coral as the gravel would be different than a smooth concrete. No set answer, sorry.

That said, I have averaged 8500 miles on the BridgeStone BattleAX tires. I also averaged 15,000 miles on the rear BIAS ply Michelin Gold Standard's. Then almost 40,000 on my Darksided Car Tire.

#6 ·
I have averaged 7-9k per rear tire. I go as long as possible, changing it out when it starts getting squirrelly on wet roads.

#9 ·
Got 7K out of OEM rear tire, and replaced with Michilen radial Power Sport. I have 7.5K on Michilen and it looks like its good for at least another 3K. I will replace it with another Michilen. Still riding or orig OEM in the front and will replace when I replace rear in another 3K. Seems to be a very good combo.

#11 ·
You didn't find an answer because there is no one answer. How many miles you will get from a rear tire depends on a lot of variables. With the same brand of tire you will find folks that get 5,000 to 6,000 and other folks that get twice that or more.

On all the brands I have tried I normally get 6,500 to 7,500 except for Pirelli. On it I only get about 5,000.

#13 ·
Buffalo I did get an answer.. really.. it varies.. keep an eye on it starting about 4500 miles I suppose...

I got my 650 last may, and I have 4100 miles on it... I want to take a decent trip in July, so I should really plan on a new tire before I leave...That's pretty much what I was looking for.. I've been getting all sorts of emails lately about good deals on tires right now, so I may take advantage of that and have one ready to go.. Frankly, I look forward to a change from the OEM.. My last bike, I went from a Michelin to a Pirelli Diablo.. and felt that the rear got a little loose.. The Michelin seemed to be a lot more $$.. so I understand that there is a huge difference..

#15 ·
Noth, unless you plan on doing a 2500 mile tour, I would not change prior to.
My logic - you are likely to be covering the miles without heavy acceleration or braking which invokes a tyre wear penalty. In other words lots of miles at constant (ish) speed while touring means a 'better' tyre life.

Also, logically if you get a puncture in a tyre with say 5000 elapsed miles it is inconvenient, but if you experience a puncture in a near zero miles tyre then :twisted: :evil: :idea: :?: :twisted:

#16 ·
Me always amaze when people say they have 10,000, 12,000, 14,000 mile on Burgie rear tire, just not understand how they get this. Me ride aggressive in mountain and follow speed limit on regular road and only exceed by maybe 5-7 mph most time but not fast crazy speed unless pass other vehicle, check air pressure almost every day and adjust air if require which not often.

How ride and what do people to get such good milage on tire. Me think me have to ride like Amish horse to get 10,000 - 12,000 mile+ on rear tire.

Please share secret for this.

#17 ·
Me always amaze when people say they have 10,000, 12,000, 14,000 mile on Burgie rear tire, just not understand how they get this.
I think it is a personal level of comfort. The last tire, I got 9k out of it, maybe a little more as I did not make an actual note of the start mileage. I do notice as the flat spot occurs, there is mild slippage on the wet roads. When I feel that, I usually take the bike in for a tire change. It is said in Florida they use sea shells in the road and that causes tire wear. Also is the tire pressure. So many variabilities from rider to rider. At my last tire change I was going to do the Dragon, so I went with a stock tire. Next time will be a Potenza.

#18 ·
Norman what you say makes sense to me.. My Burgman is now in winter storage (it's 11 degrees f outside right now or about -12 C) and snow , salt & sand cover the roads.. to the point, that the roads have turned from their asphalt black to white... so, not weather for great riding...

The last time Ilooked at my rear tire was a while ago, but I seem to remember it being in pretty decent shape.. Most of use is commuting on the highway at 50 to 85 MPH.... I'll look it over, and if in good shape, won't change it just to change it.. My trip is shaping up to be abround 800 miles or so on all back roads..

#19 ·
Chérie said:
Me always amaze when people say they have 10,000, 12,000, 14,000 mile on Burgie rear tire, just not understand how they get this. Me ride aggressive in mountain and follow speed limit on regular road and only exceed by maybe 5-7 mph most time but not fast crazy speed unless pass other vehicle, check air pressure almost every day and adjust air if require which not often.

How ride and what do people to get such good milage on tire. Me think me have to ride like Amish horse to get 10,000 - 12,000 mile+ on rear tire.

Please share secret for this.
I just use the bike to commute. Almost entirely straight highway with limited acceleration or braking.

#21 ·
Me should ask more better question, because condition, weather, road close or same me ride, what milage get burgie 650 rider that live in new-england state get on rear tire , that make compare better.

#23 ·
ErikDK said:
Noth said:
.. My trip is shaping up to be abround 800 miles or so on all back roads..
Meaning lots of acceleration and engine braking, that will eat away at your rear tire.

This side of the Atlantic pond, 3500 miles is a quite normal tire life on a Burgman 650.

How much use engine brake wear /use / break rear tire ?

Is this more than acceleration and go fast in twistie ?

#24 ·
Chérie said:
How much use engine brake wear /use / break rear tire ?

Is this more than acceleration and go fast in twistie ?
I tend to not do a ton of braking & use the power button instead.. a fellow & took a ride around twisties that are local, and he commented that he hardly ever saw my brake lights come on.. He had a Silverwing... said he was amazed.. how little I braked.. so I guess.. not so much.. I find that barring panics, of course, throttle & power button is pretty effective for slowing down & digging out the other side on a sharp turn..

#25 ·
To be honest it matters not how you decelerate, you can do it with brakes or the transmission and for any given deceleration rate the overall tyre wear will be equal. In fact if you are a 'transmission braker' then the predominant tyre wear will happen on the rear, whereas if you use your brakes correctly then the front tyre will take most of that wear. It's more complex than that - but you know what I mean.

#26 ·
There are so many variables when it comes to tire wear /life.
I don't think there is any simple answer to the question .
I take good care of my machines and some get better tire life than others , I suspect a part of the answer is in the build of the tires themselves.
I figure tires are just a cost of doing business, I try to take care of them but replace as needed.

Another thing to consider is that a maxi scooter has smaller wheels than a motorcycle and the wheels are turning more revolutions in a given distance, so any comparison is moot between the two types of machines.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.