Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi I rode to work today but bike was not handling very well took to suzuki dealer.Rear bearings had failed needed to be replaced fortunately they had mechanic on duty[not booked for us weekend riders].They said they like to not book on saturdays for emergency repairs.thank goodness for- Kootenay Sleds & Wheels- $87.00 canadian dollars and my bike was on the road again.I only have 20000 kilometres on the odometer I thought that was a bit premature for them to fail.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
I thought that was a bit premature for them to fail.
I have to agree, did the dealer give any reason for it going out.
I would think you could double that mileage without any trouble.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
That is premature for the bearings to fail I think, but it happens on other motorcycles too sometimes. If you ride in the rain a lot, or worse, pressure wash your bike, water can get in there and dilute the grease, causing rapid failure. If you do pressure wash your bike, keep the stream of water away from the wheel bearings.

Someone also reported that some of the Burgmans came from the factory with metal seals on the wheel bearings - their machine had them and the bearings failed early. The replacement seals were of another material. Apparently the metal seals did not keep out water as well.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
rossrandy said:
...Rear bearings had failed...I only have 20000 kilometres on the odometer I thought that was a bit premature for them to fail.
That's only 12,500 miles. That is premature. I wonder if you had a lubrication problem, or maybe a bad batch of bearings.

·
Super Moderator
8,084 Posts
When I took off the front wheel to check for a loose feeling front end I thought the bearings were a little dry, so I added some more grease.
I will be removing the rear soon to have the rear tire changed. I will be checking the bearings at this time and maybe the bearings will be a little dry as well. Riding in the rain, may be washing some water around that area might be contrubiting to that problem. This would be a good time to thourghly inspecting them and add some grease if needed.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
reason for possible failure

I do alot of wet weather riding. The week before my bearings went I rode though a terrific storm for about 3 to 4 hours.It was raining extremely hard combined with my fast pace may have been simular to the effect off a pressure washer[i wash my bike by hand just a bucket and a sponge.Another possibilty was when rear tire changed for new one they some how damaged the seal but that was 2 months earlier.I will make a point to ask my dealer next time i see him why he thought they failed. :roll:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts