Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey good people, your recommendations are hereby solicited.

1.Ok - the shop installed a Bridgeport rear Tire (that I already owned and provided) on the AN 400 - For $151.00 (112 USD). It seemed a bit pricy. That’s 120$/ hr labour plus taxes of 13% (included a new filter worth 7$). Does that sound reasonable?

2. So, as a seldom-wrencher, I took apart my ignition switch to do contact cleaning in the the hope that my dim headlight would reactivate after mysteriously disappearing on the ‘06 Burgman. I had already checked possible fuse issues by replacing all suspect fuses with ones that proved to be working. But none were smoked. A replacement working bulb Borrowed from the 650 did not solve The problem. Results: The headlight still has no dim option though the bright light works well

Your thoughts, conjectures, advise and musings on the issue are most welcome.

(Further: I did such an efficient job reassembling the switch that I had a large part left over - a black plastic spacer (apparently unnecesaary) with holes for lining up two screws. The bike starts well and the hazard lights and kill switch all work - but now my throttle acts as though I installed a cruise control and does not throttle back down when pressure on the throttle is released. Is there a spring to provide retraction pressure on the bottom end of the cables that is supposed retract the throttle all the way?)

·
Premium Member
3,163 Posts
Did you check the Bright/Dim Switch ?
That extra piece you left out ....could it be the culprit of the unwanted cruise control?

13% Sales Tax calls for a Tea Party.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The yellow flick switch and the dimmer switch I have not removed and cleaned, but since people have recommended Water Displacement 40 as having been AN effective ‘cure’ in some several cases, I think I shall try the ‘squirt fix’ before I try the dismantle and clean fix. ( I don’t want to end up with so many left over parts I can start building another bike.)

Reactions: DarisPakar

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
It sounds like when you removed the kill/starter switch and put it back on it is interfering with the throttle. Maybe Mitch's videos will help.

·
Premium Member
8,178 Posts
unfortunately labor prices and times are determined by "book" not clock, and by the book, you had 2 jobs, tire , filter, book says min half hour each, so you got billed for total 1 hour labor , (2 half hour jobs at min 60 dollars each) taxes vary, can't comment on that.
For 120 dollars minus 35 dollars for mounting tire on rim, you could have bought 45 dollars worth of refreshing beverages, and a hammerench, and 20 dollars for something shiney for the wifey ,done the job yourself watching videos, and the wifey might have appreciated yur manley motorsickle fixin skills and treated you to a "little sumpthin special " for dessert.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
unfortunately labor prices and times are determined by "book" not clock, and by the book, you had 2 jobs, tire , filter, book says min half hour each, so you got billed for total 1 hour labor , (2 half hour jobs at min 60 dollars each) taxes vary, can't comment on that.
For 120 dollars minus 35 dollars for mounting tire on rim, you could have bought 45 dollars worth of refreshing beverages, and a hammerench, and 20 dollars for something shiney for the wifey ,done the job yourself watching videos, and the wifey might have appreciated yur manley motorsickle fixin skills and treated you to a "little sumpthin special " for dessert.
Indeed, mikey, While it is true that DIY can save you money which you can divert to purchasing some of the other finer things in life, the concept keeps falling short of the anticipated outcome. The upside is that you get experience and the down side is now you have to buy crazy glue to fix parts that did not co-operate and You may have to get the professional Help after all to undo or Do properly with the proper array of tools What you got into that turned into quicksand. The “sumpthin special for dessert“ has become a faint and fond memory. But I am happy for you if dessert still find it’s way onto your menu.

Thanks also Uncle Fester - watched that video a few times before I dared to attempt the procedure. There is a spot where he is removing the throttle cable with needle nose pliers - that went much easier for him than for me and the ‘pinch’ to the cable may in fact be the cause of my cruise control effect. I would put the spacer back in immediately but I don’t want to hazard some other unforeseen drama that will mess up my composure For the next week - my preference is to leave well enough alone - at least in the short term. I still have high beams.

I was looking at H4 bulbs yesterday and they did not seem to have the two upright tabs that one is supposed to flatten before install (according to previous forum accounts) so I did not buy them - one is more than 20 bucks.

Daris I cannot see how or believe that he leftover spacer has any effect on the throttle cable issue - However, maybe the fish oil will alleviate any cruise control type traction produced by a pinch in the throttle cable.

Cheers - will advise re any progress in successfuly resolving these issues.

Reactions: mikeyMarine

·
Administrator
18,400 Posts
On some 650's the left side High/Low switch has a 'White' wire that the solder breaks free and then no lights.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts