Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
The shock are cheap chrome and in a bad place so they are going to get surface rust over time . You could use rust remover or steel wool and then clear coat them to stop it from coming back . I take my bike to one of these quarter car washes and really blast the under side of my bike once a week . It keeps the bottom of my bikes nice and clean .

TheReaper!

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
What are they under the chrome? I think maybe getting them powder coated might be the best option.

You realize the shocks will have to come totally apart to powder coat them ?

TheReaper!

·
Administrator
18,744 Posts
You realize the shocks will have to come totally apart to powder coat them? TheReaper!
I took my 08 650s shocks apart and cleaned them, before I bought the Progressive set.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
I took my 08 650s shocks apart and cleaned them, before I bought the Progressive set.
What did you use for a spring compressor ?

TheReaper!

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
If the rust is just light surface rust then you are fine but if there are any pits then the spring may have been weakened. It may not be enough to cause a problem but it could. Without seeing them it is impossible for me to tell. I would do like reaper suggested and clean them up and then spray seal them.

·
Administrator
18,744 Posts
What did you use for a spring compressor? TheReaper!
I'm not Dave, but I just used my hands, the springs are quite soft, like my arms.
I am Dave and like Erik, I used my hands too. :D You just push the top of the spring down and then slide the top spring holder out. I also assembled my Progressive shocks and springs the same way.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts