Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No.. I'm not going to ask if my butt looks big in these jeans...

I am going to ask about some things I have noticed and I'm not sure which direction I should go..

Lately.. I've noticed a "shutter", "chatter" and what could be described as a "squeal" when I take off.. Now I've read that drive belts don't stretch, so I don't know if this is belt related or clutch related. I do get a squeal mostly when I'm riding two up, but it happens from time to time when I alone.

I've also noticed I have been having a "hesitation" at low RPM's. It seems most prevalent at around 4000 rpm's. This doesn't appear to be engine related, its not a miss or a sputter, more of a hesitation as I said..

The scooter now has 31,000+ miles on it. I have not personally inspected, changed or upgraded the rollers or belts, nor have I changed the final gear oil. When I purchased it, the guy I bought it from said the belt had been changed, but wasn't sure on the exact mileage it was done. He was a pretty honest guy, so I took his word for it.

As I said, I have not changed the rear differential fluid (final gear oil). I feel that should be a major priority. I would like to know anyone's opinion on changing this over to synthetic oil versus conventional. Pro's.. Con's..

If anyone has had experience with this, I would greatly appreciate any comments so I can start planning on the repair. It's starting to get cold here in Wisconsin, but I still would like to get in a few more weeks of driving before I have to put her away for winter. I'm hoping, based on what is recommended, that I can put off any major repairs until the season is over. That way, I have all winter long to work on it and wait for parts.

·
Premium Member
14,257 Posts
I would suspect the shutter and squeal are the clutch.

The hesitation could be engine related or CVT related. Some possibilities are worn rollers in the CVT, dust buildup in the CVT, a fuel injection issue, a throttle position sensor problem, or a number of other things.

I see no problem with using synthetic oil in the final drive although I don't. I use the same Rotella 15W-40 oil I use in the engine.

If your going to change the final drive oil you will need to pull the CVT cover. That's a good time to check the condition of the belt and to blow the dust out of the variator. If you want to get more industrious you can take the variator apart and check the condition of the rollers and pull the clutch and check it's condition.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Cliff... I'm going to look into doing just that this weekend.. I'd like to get in there and "clean up" things, and do a thorough inspection..

Couple questions:

Will I visually know if I need to replace the rollers?

Will I visually know if I need to do any work on the clutch?

Does a good clean up on the clutch do any good? will it prolong life, any things I should do when doing the clean up (rough it up or sand it down, smooth it out)

As for the Belt, other than putting a caliper on it, will I know if its good or bad?

Also, yesterday I was caught in some traffic and noticed a lag in my clutch.. i would accelerate and move forward, but there would be a 1 or 2 second delay and they it would give me another push... when I "gave it gas" i moved, but then I would get this delayed "surge" if you will.. not sure what could cause that.. again, from what I read, the belt doesn't slip.. so, that's weird...

Finally.. on my 1st post.. I failed to mention the hesitation, chattering and/or squeal only happens when I am under load.. When I test everything out with the center kickstand up, I don't experience those symptoms..

·
Premium Member
14,257 Posts
Will I visually know if I need to replace the rollers?
When you inspect the rollers you will know they are bad if you see noticeable flat spotting on them. You can also measure the diameter to see if they are worn below spec. Spec is 26 to 26.16 mm (1.02 to 10.3 in)

Will I visually know if I need to do any work on the clutch?
You can visually check the outside of the bell to see if it has excessive blueing or any cracks. You can visually inspect for worn out shoes. They are like brake pads and have a lining on them that wears away. You can also visually inspect them for glazing on their surface or contamination from oil or grease.

Does a good clean up on the clutch do any good? will it prolong life, any things I should do when doing the clean up (rough it up or sand it down, smooth it out)
Cleaning is not usually an issue with the clutch unless it is contaminated with oil or grease. Dust buildup usually occurs in the primary pulley not the clutch in the secondary pulley. If the clutch shoes are glazed you can lightly sand them to remove the glaze.

As for the Belt, other than putting a caliper on it, will I know if its good or bad?
You should visually inspect it for cracks or other visible damage like chunks missing.

Also, yesterday I was caught in some traffic and noticed a lag in my clutch.. i would accelerate and move forward, but there would be a 1 or 2 second delay and they it would give me another push... when I "gave it gas" i moved, but then I would get this delayed "surge" if you will.. not sure what could cause that.. again, from what I read, the belt doesn't slip.. so, that's weird...
It's possible that might be from clutch slippage. It's also possible that it is caused by the primary pulley not opening and closing correctly. Or it could be a problem in the secondary pulley not allowing it to open and close in unison with the primary pulley. The secondary pulley has a spring in it that can weaken to below spec of 118.7 mm (4.67 inch) free length.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts